Forums

Add wireless phone charging to your Tesla Model 3 for only $20

Add wireless phone charging to your Tesla Model 3 for only $20

insanityabounds | 2018年2月20日

I had those exact chargers in my Amazon list to try when my invite came up. Glad to see this works. Thanks for sharing.

jhbeak | 2018年2月20日

Wow, but you have to buy a new I Phone 8 or 10.

Carl Thompson | 2018年2月20日

A couple of things make me skeptical.
1. The front USB ports reportedly only output 1.4A which is not high enough for wireless charging to work effectively
2. The rubber mat on the Model 3 seems much too thick. Wireless charging doesn't even work with many thin cases

ebmcs03 | 2018年2月20日

I Need $700 for a new phone to go with the charger. LoL

I swore at one point Tesla said wireless charging would come with the model 3. Or at least with PUP

Frank99 | 2018年2月20日

Carl -
>>> Wireless charging doesn't even work with many thin cases
That was true a few years ago, and with some cheap Qi chargers still. But, for example, the Samsung Qi charger has no problem with my wife's phone with a thick case, with a rear flap that contains her drivers license and a credit card. You might want to try again, but buy a high quality charger.

dgstan | 2018年2月20日

Every time these wireless chargers are mentioned, someone brings up the fact that the front ports don't put out enough juice to power a wireless charger. Has anyone tried these, or something similar, in the Model 3?

DoctorU | 2018年2月21日

It would be fine. Will it charge at 7w? No but it will charge.

rtanov | 2018年2月22日

Just installed this and it charges my Galaxy S8 fine. Left the other side with the lightning port for my wife's iPhone 7. This charger is really thin - you can barely notice that there's something underneath the rubber mat on one side. I also tried the wireless charger plugged into an USB charger in the 12-volt Outlet and it charged at the same rate. And that rate is the same as my Ravpower fast wireless charger plugged into the wall outlet. My phone has no case - no idea how the added thickness of a case might affect the charging.

alphacompton | 2018年2月22日

This is great to know. Thanks for posting the suggestion and the results. I love wireless charging on my Galaxy S8+. I can't wait to try it out in my Model 3. I did notice in a lot of testing that chargers and case compatibility can vary a lot, I own several first party and third party wireless chargers and I have owned different cases with different phones over the years. first party stuff is not always the best with third party cases but if you buy first party charger and first party case you won't have any problems.

the.videologists | 2018年2月22日

I have one at home. It charges sooo slow.

Carl Thompson | 2018年2月22日

@rtanov

Awesome! Great information. Thanks!

rtanov | 2018年2月22日

Actually I just remembered I had one Samsung flip case which is pretty thick on the back - I tried it on and it charges fine with the case on.

socaldave | 2018年2月22日

FWIW, my general rule it thumb is to stay away from any amazon purchase where 4+5 Star review percentages don’t add up to at least 75%, preferably 80%.

This product? 60% 5 star, 20% 1 star, and only 68% 4/5 star. Pass. There’ll be something from Anker or Amazon basics coming out soon enough that’ll be better than this.

Carl Thompson | 2018年2月22日

I ordered a couple. I'm still skeptical that they'll actually be able to charge the phone with any speed or even maintain a charge when using maps / GPS with that thick mat. I'm renting a Model 3 this weekend so I'll be able to test it out with my Galaxy S8+.

linda | 2018年2月23日

I have a Model 3, and am using one of the Ultra-thin Qi Wireless charger from Amazon. I used double sided tape to secure it on top of the mat and it works great on my Galaxy S8 through the case.

vandy.hamidi | 2018年2月23日

did it for about $10 and it's more "OEM" looking

I made embedded a QI into a foam mat that goes under the Model 3 OEM rubber mat.

Bought the QI PCB guts on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-PCBA-Circuit-Board-With-3-C...) then
Got 1/4" foam the size of the rubber mat. traced the outline of the mat, and cut out the foam to fit directly under mat.
then I traced the charger on foam, cut out the rectangle, taped the back in there and ran a micro usb from the board to the USB plugs underneath.

Nice thing about the foam is that everything is flat and level.
This ebay charger also has the "tail" with the lights, which I just inserted into a slit at the edge of the foam. So I can see when it turns from red to blue.

Also, I only installed ONE on drivers side. If I don't want to charge I shift the phone over 3 inches and I don't charge. I can post pictures, but I don't see how to do it on this forum. Suggestions?

vandy.hamidi | 2018年2月23日

Oh, forgot to add. I have a THICK speck candyshell grip case and the charging works fine.
I think primarilly because the coil doesn't have anything on top of it, so the OEM rubber mat comes in contact with the coil keeping it well within the 8mm range of QI spec.

maintreqd | 2018年2月23日

the folks behind the Tesla Wireless Pad (https ://teslawirelesspad.com/) tell me the 1.4A output of the front USB ports in Model 3 will be of no concern using their product, because they claim to have a workaround.

I don't fully understand how this works (I'm no electrician), but here's what the wrote to me:

"Regarding your interest about the Tesla Wireless Pad, we've yet to confirm the final specs, but there's a workaround to have our wireless charger to output about 10v 2/3A. This is not a solution that may apply to your Honda, however."

I'd like to believe they have this figured out because, quite frankly, they seem to be the frontrunner right now for this solution and if folks' Qi-wireless-charging-capable phones are still losing juice despite being "on the charge pad," there's going to be a massive uprising against them.

maintreqd | 2018年2月23日

I wonder if they're doing something similar to what the Quick 220 does (the system that allows you to plug into two 110v outlets, provided they are on separate phases, to create the equivalent of a 220v outlet for the purposes of charging an EV without installing a new outlet).

This would require the front usb ports to be on different phases (I think?) and I have no idea if that's even a thing that is possible in a car.

Totally just a theory; it will be perfectly fine if someone who knows more about this stuff tells me i'm nuts.

andy.connor.e | 2018年2月23日

@maintreqd

You're nuts. But focus less on the idea of "phases". But what i think you're getting at is taking 2 USB ports and essentially hooking them in series to double the current, or double the charging speed. Can you? Yes, there is nothing stopping you from doing that as long as you can do it.

maintreqd | 2018年2月23日

@andy.connor.e: cool. well hopefully they've got that figured out. It would mean the wireless pad will hog up all the USB ports, though, so if you co-pilot's phone isn't QI-charging capable they'd be SOL. Hopefully this is all something that the folks behind the product have thought of, but who knows. It's all speculation, even as to whether they'll even use both USB ports or they figured something entirely different out. Just relaying what I've heard

johnmann | 2018年2月23日

"But what i think you're getting at is taking 2 USB ports and essentially hooking them in series to double the current"

Combining them in series would double the voltage, Hooking them up in parallel would provide the same voltage, but could double the current.

Coastal Cruiser. | 2018年2月23日

Yes, parallel would be the way. Pretty clever idea. Also pretty clever what vandy.hamidi came up with. +1

btw, is there any other power take off being provided anywhere around the console? You know, the 12v sockets that used to be used as a cigarette lighter?

Carl Thompson | 2018年2月23日

"... within the 8mm range of QI spec"

The spec may say 8 mm range but the further away in that range the less efficient and the slower the charging speed. Since the mat is so thick that's why I say that I'm skeptical that it will charge fast enough to offset running power intensive GPS / mapping apps that keep the screen on,

"Regarding your interest about the Tesla Wireless Pad, we've yet to confirm the final specs, but there's a workaround to have our wireless charger to output about 10v 2/3A."

This cannot be right even if they use both USB ports. If the previously measured 1.4A max is correct for the Model 3 than each port maxes out at 7W. Two of them would be 14W. But 2/3A at 10V would be 20W - 30W. What they must have meant was 2/3A at _5_ volts not 10.

Frank99 | 2018年2月23日

10*.6667 ~= 7w. So, they aren't changing the power output from a port, nor are they combining ports. At best, they're doing a voltage doubler - which implictly means a current-halver.

Garyeop | 2018年2月23日

Since it is only a rubber mat, I suspect someone will soon sell a rubber mat fitted to place the charge pad on the surface. SOOOO ready to not have to fiddle with a wire while driving. :)

jhatcher4059 | 2018年2月23日

Well this is exciting...if it works at that price and I'm not constantly plugging and un-plugging I'm in for $20! Thanks @OP for the mention!

JustSaying | 2018年2月23日

Ben's Bargains websites has some pretty code codes for naked wireless charging station right now.

JustSaying | 2018年2月23日

Sorry Anker not naked....

Carl Thompson | 2018年2月25日

I can confirm that this does indeed work. You do have to align the charging disc in exactly the right spot for your phone. A almost gave up before I found the sweet spot. I even tried it while using Google Maps navigation with the screen on full brightness and it was able to _add_ charge to my phone (slowly). Definitely surprised that it works! I wonder if those front USB ports are actually better than the 1.4A reported?

This was with my Galaxy S8+

RadOne | 2018年2月25日

@Carl Thompson. I believe the output of the charger device is 1A.

@RadOne:
"I believe the output of the charger device is 1A."

That's its maximum output after losses. Wireless charging is pretty inefficient.

RadOne | 2018年2月25日

The spec output is measured at the charging device, not what the actually induced amount which will vary with the cell phone. There will be at least 20% reduction.

japhule | 2018年2月26日

I've been thinking about what wireless charging options we have to get working in the Model 3 so that I can use it with my Galaxy phone.

Samsung Galaxy S phones have "Fast Wireless" charging capabilities that charges faster than the standard Qi wireless charging. With a "Fast Wireless" charging supported pads, we would need a QuickCharge 2.0+ charging adapter to allow fast wireless charging. I'm thinking about running a USB cable from the 12v port using a QuickCharge 12v charger to the front in order to allow fast wireless charging. Alternatively, we can get a portable power bank that has QuickCharge and use that instead of the built in usb ports in the front to power the charging pad. We can use the built in USB ports to recharge the power bank.

I'm using fast wireless charging phone mount now with my current car and it's able to charge my phone much quicker including while I'm using navigation.

adam.white32 | 2018年6月24日

Why do people keep saying the ports won’t support wireless charging at 1.4A? This is really simple math, folks. Power (W) = Volts * Current, so 5v * 1.4A = 7W. Since standard Qi charging is 5W, you only need 1A at 5V to support this feature. It’s not rocket science.

maintreqd | 2018年6月24日

@adam.white32 to be fair, you resurrected a dead thread from February. Not sure people “keep saying” this; I think folks are more clear on it now. Still, the front ports won’t support fast wireless charging, hence why companies like Jeda are offering a charging module to accompany their wireless pad solution for owners of phones that support fast Qi charging.

luapobazs | 2018年6月27日

One step further is to crack open the pad and place the coil (with double sided tape) directly to the panel and place the rubber mat over it. There is no bump and mat is perfectly flat, charger connects easier as well since there is less barrier between coil and phone. See pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tRGOGG8

luapobazs | 2018年6月28日

Update: it works great when parked, but when driving it charges, then stops, then starts , then stops; over and over.

Might it be a capacity issue? I used the one recommended in this thread. If I plug it into the cigarette lighter on my Nissan it works great.

Mikepadilla | 2018年7月5日

@luapobazs I did the same thing you suggested and I’m having the same results. Works for 2 seconds then stops.

cguanzon | 2018年7月16日

Has anyone tried the Evannex version. It's a lot more pricey at $89 but it looks very clean and professional looking. But no word on how good it is...

joe322 | 2018年7月23日

Just wanted to post a little cheaper (and less elegant) solution that I'm using. I tried the circle pads and found it raised the rubber mat up too much to keep it in place. Instead I found these larger charging pads to replace the rubber mat which fit in the space pretty well side by side.

https://ibb.co/gZqgio
https://ibb.co/k96Mio

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793TJ9YR

CST | 2018年7月23日

I put the circle pads *on* the mat and they work fine. However, spirited mountain driving can cause phones to shift off of them.

andy.connor.e | 2018年7月24日

If its not supposed to move, apply duct tape.

Garyeop | 2018年7月27日

I purchased one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793TJ9YR

And a dual 12v qi 3 plug
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B2BMIMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Vw6wBb3D48B94

It charges wirelessly plugged into the front usb, but I tested and it will only fast charge when plugged into the 12 v plug.

And, right now it just lays on the original mat. I will make it pretty later.. All for less than $35.

NthMonkey | 2018年9月7日

That ultra thin wireless charger linked to at the top is not a good idea. While thin, it's not so thin that it sits nicely under the rubber mat. With the pad under the mat it looks terrible and the phone has no way to sit with stability. I think it's going to be either do without or spend up for one of the custom aftermarket chargers. Which I won't even think about until after v9 when Tesla's intentions on fixing the flash drive media player options will be clear.

dgstan | 2018年9月7日

Monk - Try my high-tech solution. The cardboard spacer with a hole cut in it makes the whole surface level, except for the bottom edge where there is no spacer and the mat sits flat where it normally would, allowing for plugging into the connector for the second spot.

https://imgur.com/a/xAWz2ki

slipsey | 2018年9月9日

spend a little more and get the perfect wireless magnet mount charger...I love mine...
https://www.xvida.com/collections/p2-qi-charging-docks/products/universa...

cbwiegand | 2018年10月12日

Bought the thin charger, used double-sided adhesive to secure it to the back of the existing rubber pad, ran the cord to the "cigar" charger, it works. Doesn't tweak my OCD.

daynaebersohn00 | 2018年10月24日

RIght now there are too many alternate options in the market that vary from price, Quality, Features, and compatibility.

Pick right choise for me is not easy. also, i found the source on google they sharing iPhone XS max compatible Wireless charger made in the latest design and i think all are valuable that really easy for me.

Belkin, Anker, Yootech, ELLESYE

https://www.howtoisolve.com/best-wireless-chargers-for-iphone-xs-max-iph...

Thank you!

Pages