Forums

Front Facia Refresh Tips

Front Facia Refresh Tips

I recently purchased a front facia replacement for my 2015 Model S 70D. I previously had a 2013 Model S 60. I never liked the appearance of the "nosecone". I purchased an updated front from Unplugged Performance, the manufacturer of the front refresh units sold through various resellers. It cost $2,900. Unplugged Performance insists that you identify a body shop to install the unit, which is very wise on their part. A local, highly USAA rated body shop, previously installed my EcoHitch, so I assumed this would not be a challenge for them. Unplugged Performance estimates that the installation time is 3 hours, which is the published time for a standard Tesla bumper replacement. I dropped off my car at 8:30am on Thursday and picked it up 4:00pm Friday. The body shop stuck with it to make sure the result was amazing. I spoke with the body techs, and they said the instructions were way off. They had to improvise to make sure the replacement bumper fit and looked great. They only charged me $530 for painting the bumper and installation, which was way below the labor hours they had in the job. The new front looks like the newest Model S cars. I think it is well worth the cost, but make sure you give your body shop the installation instructions ahead of time, and that the bumper manufacturer may not answer the phone (which they didn't).

Recommendation: (1) Purchase the facia replacement from an online vendor that supports body shops. (2) Find a Tesla approved body shop (3) Be patient. Aftermarket providers are not perfect providers of installation manuals. My body shop team had to improvise to make the refresh work. My charge for painting and installation was $500+, which was way below the labor they expended over two days to get this to work.

My Model S now looks like the most current Model S. For me, I think it is worth the time, investment, and trouble,

Sjbaker85 | 2 juni 2019

Did your body shop give you specific details about what was off in the instructions from Unplugged Performance? I’m looking at buying one soon and would like to know what to tell my body shop to avoid the hassle. Thanks for the tip.

Sjbaker85 | 2 juni 2019

Did your body shop give you specific details about what was off in the instructions from Unplugged Performance? I’m looking at buying one soon and would like to know what to tell my body shop to avoid the hassle. Thanks for the tip.