Forums

Q: Howto make battery indicator show miles rather than %-age

Q: Howto make battery indicator show miles rather than %-age

My battery level indicator currently shows %-age. The battery level "console" does the same thing, including when charging. I've seen pictures online of people showing miles left rather than %-age but can't find any settings to change it. My firmware version is 2018.18.13.

Any ideas?

ravisundaramam | 30 mei 2018

There is a setting where you choose miles or %.

But miles is an approximate prediction % is better, in that respect. Going to switch to % to see if that makes more sense.

lilbean | 30 mei 2018

Click the little car icon on the bottom left -> Display -> gear icon at top right of box -> Energy Display -> Distance

hpn | 30 mei 2018

I prefer it shows both mileage and percentage . anyone else agrees?

ravisundaramam | 31 mei 2018

hpn | May 30, 2018 "I prefer it shows both mileage and percentage . anyone else agrees?"

Normally screen real estate is scarce, and one wants to avoid clutter and useless, redundant, duplicate info.

But for Tesla, the screen is large, and charge remaining and miles remaining are not duplicate/redundant info. One is an estimate and the other measurement. So it would make sense to show both, either all the time, or alternating automatically every 2 seconds or so.

ICE cars always show fuel remaining, and recently they are showing estimated miles remaining. No one checks the accuracy of the estimate.

hpn | 31 mei 2018

@ravis.....you are absolutely correct. I suggest having the "%" (percentage) display inside the battery icon.

As for accuracy it's just used as a "reference" so u don't have to toggle back and forth in the display setting.

Lorenzryanc | 31 mei 2018

I've made that suggestion through the "report bug" feature. There's plenty of space directly to the left of the miles to show % IMO.
But I wanted to echo the "Gear" icon... Look on every page for that gear, it offers great options.

Kathy Applebaum | 31 mei 2018

I set mine at miles for the benefit of new-to-EV passengers -- I've had a number of great EV conversations after passengers see a number over 200 and the battery icon is clearly not full. Seems a lot of people still think EVs have a range of 30 miles or so.

jjgunn | 31 mei 2018

@ravisundaramam - "No one checks the accuracy of the estimate."

I will be & I'll report back it's accuracy or inaccuracies

CC396 | 31 mei 2018

@hpn: I agree.

tanveerg | 31 mei 2018

@lilbean, that was it. Thanks! I find that the miles display alleviates range anxiety more effectively than a %-age display.

lilbean | 31 mei 2018

@tanveerg Yay! You're welcome!

Rocky_H | 31 mei 2018

@tanveerg, Quote: "@lilbean, that was it. Thanks! I find that the miles display alleviates range anxiety more effectively than a %-age display."

You will find strong preferences on that, as seen in this poll and discussion:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/state-of-charge-percentage-or-di...

Some people flip completely out of their minds because the rated miles do not tick down 1-to-1 with their particular driving style, so they are angry that they feel the car is "lying" to them. I just don't mind looking at the rated miles and knowing that it's a little higher than what I'll really get by some ballpark fudge factor. But I don't feel that the % gives any useful information I can correlate to anything, since people don't think in terms of how many % away their friend's house is. Places we go are thought of and referred to in terms of distance.

ravisundaramam | 31 mei 2018

@Rocky_H | May 31, 2018 For a model 3LR, one percent is 3 miles. Very easy multiplication to do on the head.

If I see 62% when I park at 8:30 AM and see 62% when I come back at 5 pm, I am happy I don't have vampire drain.

But the clever nav app predicts 186 miles on a cool cabin in the morning and predicts 180 miles with the hot cabin at 5pm, I have a "vampire" drain of 6 miles.

Rocky_H | 1 juni 2018

@ravis, You're missing the point a bit. You are saying how multiplying something by 3 is very easy to do. Sure, it is. And if there is a need to do that it can be done. But the point is, I would hate to have to multiply something by 3 EVERY FREAKING TIME I want to see how much distance I have. That would be immensely irritating. If I can just look at a number of miles, I can already see what it is without having to constantly multiply it by something.

MarylandS85 | 1 juni 2018

I prefer percentage but understand @Rocky_H’s point. My preference for percentage is born of driving the S for a long time and leaving the Energy screen up most of the time. That screen on the S (and X) tells you your expected remaining range based on how you’ve been driving over the last 30 miles. Having that info, the rated miles was not relevant to me. Seeing percentage also has the added advantages of:
1) Easier estimation of time it will take to charge (based on prior experience), since the charge screen expresses things in percentage
2) Evoking an analogous concept to your smart phone battery state of charge, something all of us are familiar with
3) Helping you easily keep your car at a desired state of charge (because the battery likes being closest to 50% SoC)
4) Exhibiting greater consistency of units, as when using the nav it displays expected state of charge you’ll have when arriving at your destination in terms of percentage, not rated miles remaining

Even though the 3 has no Energy screen, this habit has stuck with me, and I simply can’t abide displaying rated miles anymore. In the end, the two are just different units of the same thing, as others point out, a simple multiplication/division problem. I see rated miles as more useful in the 3 if you’re really stretching your range, perhaps such as on a road trip.

johnse | 1 juni 2018

If you are going a long distance and trying to accurately predict SOC on arrival, it is much better to tell Nav where you are going. It takes elevation changes, Traffic, and (I think) driving habits into account and presents a continuous estimate of how much you will have left (in percentage or rated range) along with distance and travel time remaining.

If you deviate from the marked route, it quickly replans and updates.

It will also guide you to drive more slowly if necessary (or offer suggestions for charging stops.)

Rocky_H | 1 juni 2018

@MarylandS85, Quote: "4) Exhibiting greater consistency of units, as when using the nav it displays expected state of charge you’ll have when arriving at your destination in terms of percentage, not rated miles remaining"

Yes, I'm kind of forced into it for that on long trips. There isn't a way to make it show rated miles remaining, but I'm used to what % I'm comfortable with as a traveling buffer. The rated miles comes in more relevant around town, where I think of how I'm going to be driving here, then there, and then my wife is going to take the car and go there. And those are mental distances, not percentages, and all I need is a ballpark number to look at to make sure it's enough.

ravisundaramam | 1 juni 2018

@Rocky_H | June 1, 2018: Newbie here, so excuse me. I thought the range estimator takes into account weather and recent driving. It does not. It is a simple kWh to mile fixed rate conversion, I understand. If that is the case, no point in looking at kWh. Miles are better, and they are 3 times finer in scale.

JayInJapan | 1 juni 2018

I set battery output to km and have % data when there’s a destination set on the car navi—best of both worlds. Km info is the most helpful on road trips.

spuzzz123 | 2 juni 2018

Ravis you are no longer a newbie, relatively speaking! Most model 3 owners got their cars march 2018 or later so unless you are a prior owner, we’re all noobs. I like the idea of a range estimator that takes your recent driving style and weather conditions into account. I wonder why they don’t. Customer confusion I guess. People not being able to distinguish suboptimal conditions from battery degradation.

djharrington | 2 juni 2018

@ravi, and if you want even more resolution, switch to km ;)

deemo | 2 juni 2018

The trip planner range does take things such as elevation and recent drive history into account, I don't believe the battery charge range displayed does that though.

loralu27 | 21 augustus 2019

So which is more accurate % or miles excluding long trips? TESLA says miles. I have a model 3 brand new long range.

Magic 8 Ball | 21 augustus 2019

@laralu27 Percent and miles are two different things. The battery will always show 100% charge even when degraded. In terms of how many actual miles are left when driving or how much battery percentage is left when driving it is an estimate that changes depending on driving habits. People that drive slower will get more than the estimated miles and estimated percentage left will drop slower than those that drive fast.

Bighorn | 21 augustus 2019

@loralu
They are the same data--neither more accurate than the other. There's more granularity to mileage, but there's insufficient accuracy to make it meaningful.

EVRider | 21 augustus 2019

@loralu27: If you’re talking about miles vs. percentage in the battery meter display, they are equally accurate. The miles figure is calculated by multiplying the EPA range times the %, so it doesn’t reflect driving conditions.

@EVRider If a battery is degraded by say 50% will it still show 100% charge when charged to 100%? If so won't it always show EPA range at 100% even if degraded? While the miles estimate is not an accurate measurement of degradation, is an indicator of some sort if the miles estimate drops considerably for someone who has not changed their driving habits or use much?

is an indicator = is it an indicator

Bighorn | 21 augustus 2019

A degraded battery will still show 100% charge, so in that sense, the mileage is more "accurate" in the big picture. In the day to day, not important. The rate constant conversion is between total kWh capacity and rated miles.

mikes | 21 augustus 2019

I usually use the % setting as the miles really have no meaning to me at all. What I noticed just last weekend, when I fully charged for a trip, is that it showed 99% and 309 miles after it was done charging. So it does not calculate those according to EPA range or it should have shown 307 miles. I did restart the charging in order to equalize the battery cells and it told me it will take another 45 minutes to do so. After about 10 minutes I checked and found that it 100% but still only 309 miles! I left it going and when it was done about another 30 minutes later it showed 100% and 310 miles! Seems like the 2 values are calculated and/or based on different things.