Forums

Model 3 Windshield Replacement

Model 3 Windshield Replacement

Hi All,

So, my model 3 developed a large crack in the windshield, the service team says they see an impact point, though I’m not convinced this is the leading cause of the crack, it looks like there is a pretty serious separation of the glass at the point where the glass meets the passenger side pillar. Never seen something quite that bad before from a small impact.

Anyway, to make matters worse, this happened almost 4 weeks ago, windshield replacements are on backorder and there is no estimate on when a replacement will be available. I’ve looked into third parties such as Safelite as well, and they do not offer replacements yet.

To make things even worse, this will apparently cost $1200 to replace. This is one of the best cars I’ve ever driven but lack of basic spare parts and high cost of repair really makes me think twice about keeping it. It doesn’t seem that service is able to keep up with the increased volume.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the windshield, any luck getting it repaired/replaced in a timely fashion?

paulpazymino | 17 augustus 2018

ouch! We just has the rear quarter window busted and its over $600 to repair. So it's funny that the windshield is only twice the cost of that tiny window.

Carl Thompson | 17 augustus 2018

A BMW dealer wanted $1,800 to replace the windshield on my i3 so at least it's not that bad.

rykemapo | 17 augustus 2018

My windshield has 3 square-shaped marks on it which look like they were caused by the robot arm during assembly. They look like they could be cleaned off, except they are between the layers of glass. There are various circular fleck marks between the glass as well. They aren't always visible, so I've been living with it. Sounds like it will be a while before I can get it replaced.

anotherholiday07 | 21 augustus 2018

I'm in the same boat. I call Safelite everyday and they just told me today Tesla has no idea when I can get a new windshield. I have been waiting for a few weeks now.

M3BlueGeorgia | 21 augustus 2018

@gino.pellicano

Most of he windshield replacement cost should be covered by the Comprehensive part of your auto insurance policy.
For most insurance policies, it doesn't cause your insurance rates to go up.

base428 | 21 augustus 2018

Just had my M3 windshield replaced after 3 months on the road. A water leak had developed in the upper corner, so Tesla's resolution was to replace the windshield, A-pillar, and headliner. Of the 3 months I've owned the M3, it's been in the shop twice for nearly a month of service work. At least 8 problems have been corrected or corrected to the point where Tesla though it was "good enough". I'm quickly falling out of love with Tesla.....

caniption | 24 augustus 2018

Just had my M3 windshield replaced. Took awhile to figure out where to get it fixed. Tried Safelite, they said no they don't fix Teslas and refered me to Tesla service center. Tried Tesla service center and they said they don't fix windshield damage anymore and refered me to a mobile service - premier auto glass in dublin. Made an appointment through their yelp and fixed it within an hour. The glass is legit. Straight from the factory. Came out to be $880 after tax.

Magic 8 Ball | 24 augustus 2018

@caniption Nice!

billlake2000 | 25 augustus 2018

I'm with blueGeorgia. Don't youse guys have comprehensive? Is your deductible $1,200? Wha?

ljdeloach | 2 september 2018

My M3 front windshield got hit by a rock. Starburst turned into a crack extending halfway across the windshield. The Tesla dealership in Rockville, MD had no ETA for the new windshield. Sent e-mail through Tesla site, got immediate response but it took 8 weeks to get the new windshield. Had to schedule an appointment for installation which was a week later. Two days to install/cure required. The cost was $845 + 6% MD tax= 876.80.

singh_ran | 10 oktober 2018

My M3 front windshield shows 6 square marks (about 1.5-2 inches x 1.5-2 inches) many times while driving in the night - 3 right in front of driver and other 3 in front of passenger. I have tried cleaning it from outside - did not work. Cleaning it from inside works for few seconds and then the marks come back. Unfortunately, it does not happen always so cannot take it to service center as they want me to reproduce the issue and show it to them. I have always seen it in late nights when the a/c is off but there is no visible condensation on the rest of the windshield. I am sure Tesla can find the cause if they want - seems like robot issue.

rykemapo | 10 oktober 2018

That's my issue too. There was probably some residue on the pads of the robot arms. Look closely if the marks are between the layers of the glass.

Dbking121 | 6 april 2019

Same problem here. I just noticed a crack in the lower right corner of my windshield. The car is 3 month old. There was no object hitting the windshield the day before. I am convinced this car, although amazing comparing to my other cars, yet must have something wrong with the pressure point around the windshield frames. I am told it will cost me $1000 plus tax.

frolovalevi0 | 6 april 2019

This trail of information makes me feel alarmed. I had my Model 3 for 8 months now. I punctured the front tire when rounding a bent and had to call the special towing truck to get it to the service outfit. To replace that one tire cost me $400! That is terribly high price to pay for one tire. Now I am reading that many owners are experiencing a defected windshield and have to pony up more than $1,000 and even then, they do not know when it will be fixed!!! That is outrageous. If I knew how expensive the fixes are and how long it takes, I would have probably not bought my Tesla. Any idea anybody, as to what other options we have besides going to Tesla shop every time? Some mentioned Safelite ... what is it?

ODWms | 6 april 2019

Here in Florida, its law that the insurance company pays to replace your windshield, with zero deductible in case of damage. I guess I thought that was nationwide?

Marzipan | 8 april 2019

Windshield replacement got expensive on all the cars that have driver assist features with sensors or cameras under the windshield. I payed $960 for my Jeep Cherokee and the bulk of it was for recalibrating all the sensors in the windshield. Its still cheap for 'dumb' cars but once you add all the high tech repairs are getting really expensive.

chiropod | 8 april 2019

I developed a large crack on the roof last month. With no visible impact point, they covered it. At first, they were not sure how long it would take to get one, but after putting me in a loaner, my case was expidited and I had the new roof put in two days later. On the other hand, I hit a pothole, destroying both right rims on my 3P, costing me $1600.

ODWms | 8 april 2019

Wow. Now thats what I'd call a pothole. Not like in my part of Florida where the top, 1 inch layer of asphalt is missing and we call that a pothole.

calvin940 | 8 april 2019

My Mazda CX-5 windshield replacement cost $750 + tax. They always seem to be expensive no matter what car. The Mazda didn't even have any stuff in or on the windshield (no sensors or anything) so I imagine it would have been even worse if there was.

ODWms | 8 april 2019

I paid $1600 for a Land Rover windshield 12 years ago. Nothing special about it.

crmedved | 8 april 2019

Yeah.. ask your insurance guys. Your comprehensive coverage should cover the windshield. I think mine is my full comprehensive deductible, but some states is free or like $50.

Also @frolovalevi0, Tesla fixes defective glass for free. They do not fix glass caused by impacts for free, nor should they be expected to. That's what your insurance is for. As for your wheel, if your within like 50 or maybe 100 miles of a Tesla service center, they will bring a loaner wheel out to you and fix your old one for you to pick up in a day or two. At least that's what they say. The $400 for a tire is a bit crazy. Did that include towing? I don't think Teslas need special trucks... they can use flatbeds or normal tow-behind, but they have to be on skates.

junzhong2007 | 27 april 2019

My model 3’s windshield cracked without any reason while driving. I purchased the car within 6 months.
Is this under warranty?

vincejojo | 27 april 2019

If you can proof “without any reason while driving” then you have a case. If not you may have to pay for it. Depending on your deductible, your insurance will reimburse you. The total windshield replacement cost with Tesla is between $1000 to $1300 (don’t quote me). Good luck.

vincejojo | 27 april 2019

Or is it “prove”
Someone help me

NKYTA | 27 april 2019

Prove seems correct.

Lonestar10_1999 | 27 april 2019

If there is no impact then Tesla ought to replace the windshield under warranty.

Mrfranksierra | 30 april 2019

Tesla in Atlanta quoted me $997.84 and Safelite charging me $ 786 with $50 dollar discount included in that price. Safelite however makes you agree that they can’t do anything for the calibration of the front camera on windshield and they are not responsible for calibrating it. My windshield in 6 months has already 3 chips and one of the chips became a crack in a few days. When I asked Ameriprise insurance if my insurance will go up next time if I use the insurance to pay for the windshield they told me that they will remove a certain discount I already have and that discount was something in the $40 range so therefore yes my insurance will go up. Ameriprise in Georgia had the best rates until I got a letter they went up in price on everyone on Georgia more than $200 dollars.

ColoDriver | 1 mei 2019

@rykemapo and @singh_ran

The square marks on the windshield are from tracking stickers that leave a slight residue which will collect condensation before the rest of the windows show anything. Use a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser over the inside of the windshield and they should clean off. At least they did for me.

The round marks are from the robot suction cups. Those marks can also be cleaned off with a Magic Eraser too.

Be sure to go over the interior of the windshield with a microfibre glass cleaning cloth afterward to get any Magic Eraser residue off.

yifanlu | 3 mei 2019

I also noticed a crack on my M3 windshield a few days ago, and it appeared suddenly. I don't remember any rocks hit my windshield. Called my insurance company and they can't find a place to do Tesla auto glass replacement. Made an appointment at the Tesla service center next week and will update what they say.

Pinewold | 20 mei 2019

Driving on Route 90 outbound in Boston, loud whack on the glass, no immediate crack. When out that evening and 6 inch crack had appeared. It has now grown to 18 inches. Mine definitely is an impact of some kind. JM Phillips says 10-14 days to get a new windshield

ODWms | 20 mei 2019

I received a loud whack on my windshield on a trip about a month and a half ago. I was blown away that no damage occurred. Still nothing to this day, and that was the lowest impact I'd ever experienced on a windshield with no damage.

yogesh_diwan | 25 juni 2019

I had my windshield replaced yesterday wanted to share my experience.

Replacement was done by a Tesla approved vendor in bay area. Primer Auto Glass. I got my M3 delivered on 4/22/19, my windshield cracked on 4/30/19 got hit by a stone driving down a highway 24 . Bit surprised it happened so quickly I had my Camry for 318k miles/19 years and changed the windshield twice. I have been driving on same freeway for last 10 years never cracked by windshield.

I have farmers insurance with windshield replacement deductible of $100 I thank my stars for including it in my M3 insurance.

There is a lot of wait time to deal with when it comes to windshield replacement. Fortunately for me the crack was on the right side of the windshield hence did not bother me much.Approx 45 days after I placed the order.

But then I use autosteer a lot after the windshield was replaced I had to go to Sacramento and back ~ 100 mile oneway trip. Tesla said the camera's on the windshield will auto calibrate. In my first half of the journey whenever I tried to put the car in autosteer the car would not remain in the center of the lane it drifted towards right side. It was off center by say a foot or so enough to realize it is happening. Suddenly on my way back it centered itself and its working fine. I was almost ready to call Tesla and tell them Autosteer is now working.

Primer auto glass did a good job of replacement.

Lonestar10_1999 | 25 juni 2019

Yogesh, I know your responsibility was $100 but how much did the insurance company have to pay?

yogesh_diwan | 25 juni 2019

$1107 was total bill by the vendor

Syed.Hosain | 25 juni 2019

@calvin940 "My Mazda CX-5 windshield replacement cost $750 + tax."

@ODWms "I paid $1600 for a Land Rover windshield 12 years ago. Nothing special about it."

About a decade ago, replacing the windshield on my 2003 Infiniti M45 was $274 including labor - the guy brought the Safelite replacement to my work and did it all there.

I have a crack in the front windshield in my current Model 3 (caused by a stone star impact some time back), and I do expect it to be more costly when I do get around to it (waiting for it to go all the way across at the moment and to let the supply of replacement windshields get a bit better).

Life.

TM3Q | 25 juni 2019

Here's a picture of my double impact from a big rock trown by a truck flatbed from the right lane and I was moving on the left lane in a light curb.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6r1ge4o5fxg8ikj/windshield_chip.jpg?dl=0

This got repaired and you can't tell from the outside now but visible from the inside.

Lonestar10_1999 | 25 juni 2019

Syed- if you can drive without visibility issues from the crack then it makes sense to wait until the replacement is absolutely necessary. After all, it won’t matter if you have another stone impact if your windshield is already damaged.

Of course when it’s time for a state safety inspection, it may fail due to the windshield damage. You’ll cross that bridge when you come to it.

ShaunyD | 26 juni 2019

I have had a great experience with Tesla service in Vancouver, BC. I requested a windshield warranty replacement last week. They inspected it on June 21st. Brought my car in June 25th and was ready in 4hrs.

M3 SR+ March 2019

ShaunyD | 26 juni 2019

I was told by my SA that the marks left on the glass from the factory that look like suction marks are from the release agent they use. And can be easily polished off with a quick service visit.

ksrehman | 30 juni 2019

@Syed.Hosain - I had a tiny rock chip, less than 1 cm, which I took to a glass shop recommended by my local Tesla SC (who don't do glass work). The guy who tried to inject the chip turned it into a crack about the length of a dollar bill.

It took about 4 weeks for the glass shop to get a new windshield from Tesla (Seattle). In that 4 weeks the crack spread to nearly halfway across the windshield.

My auto insurance glass policy covered everything with no deductible but the cost was $908 including parts, labor and 10% tax. The windshield part was listed as $643.50 - the notes say it's charged at Tesla list price plus 10%.

All in all I think the replacement cost was reasonable compared to other quotes above. My monthly insurance bill also went DOWN going from a 2004 Honda Civic EX to 2018 M3 AWD :)

jamestcarroll3 | 1 augustus 2019

I just went out for lunch and noticed a 14 inch crack from the passenger pillar toward the center. No stones have hit my windshield and I checked the dash cam video and no vandals in the area. The only thing different around here is the extreme heat. Can that crack a windshield?

Tronguy | 1 augustus 2019

@jamestcarroll3: From the description, that sounds like the ceiling glass (for lack of a better term). Last year there were a rash of these; AFAIK, they were replaced under warrantee. Further, there were a class, or subclass that had the shape of a "T", and those were definitely covered under warrantee. My suggestion: Give a Service Center a call.

1scallawag | 1 augustus 2019

I had one replaced 7/22/19 in Glen Allen VA. Cost was about 1050 and I scheduled the replacement on 7/15/19 through the app. No mention of backorder. I do have glass breakage coverage with 500 deductible. Replacement is perfect.

aledezma | 12 augustus 2019

My Model 3 windshield got broken "by itself". No rock, no noise, no bump. Simply parked outside in a sunny day and when I got back to the car it showed one crack. Just as we noticed the crack, a second crack appeared.
I can only tell that the crack seems to originate at copilot lower corner.
Is there too much stress from a glass roof, that goes to the windshield? Or imperfect mounting + high heat can cause this?
Got appointment to replace it. Will report after it gests done.

veenasantosh9 | 21 augustus 2019

Hi I am in the same bat as well , a small stone hit my windshield travelling at 65 mph and i have this crack. Safelite doesn't fix the tesla's in NJ. Dealership gave Appt on Aug 29th. Doesn't know how long will it take to fix it.

I have had Honda's /Accura for last 20 years , so many time i had small stones /pebbles hitting the windshield but never glass chipped or cracked. I am not happy with the Quality of the Exteriors.

This is the second incident in 2 months . I had an issue with my Front sensors when small stone hit the Fender and broke the Fog light as well. Costed me $500 at the dealer ship to fix it.

Is this issue with only Model 3 or Model S are also built cheaply ?

jimglas | 21 augustus 2019

FUD. All cars can and do have damage from rocks.
TH does "built cheaply" imply? They install special glass that is cheap?

texM3AWD | 21 augustus 2019

got a new windshield for my M3 AWD yesterday. truck in right line kicked up a piece of metal, deflected through wheel well and pounded my windshield (I was driving in left line parallel when it happened).... 4" cracks and a crater of over a quarter size through 2 layers of laminate. the SC is only a few miles from where i work so i stopped by the SC, pulled in and they had a windshield in stock. got uber credits and 5 hrs later they had the windshield replaced. VERY happy with the service and that it was a same day fix. costs: $980 (I have a $100 glass deductible so I'm processing a claim with my insurer right now)

KAM6 | 21 augustus 2019

I had to change my deductible because of this thread haha.

tedmbrady | 18 september 2019

Well, I have a story! About 4 weeks ago I had a rock hit damage my REAR window, the huge piece of glass that goes all the way to the smaller sunroof portion. After several hiccups I got and appointment at the Denver (Littleton) Tesla Service Center. They repalced the back glass for $725 ($500 for glass, $225 for labor and taxes). Yea!

So call me f-ing SHOCKEd when the other day I get in my M3 and find a 2 ft crack on my FRONT windshield!!!! ARGH. I remember a stone hit when I was going up Trail Ridge Road in RMNP last week, but thought nothing of it cuz it didn't appear to do any damage. I was soo wrong.

I have a call into my favorite tech at the Service Center (nice to have his direct line now) and will let you folks know when I get an estimate. And yes, if the costs are what you say then eSurance gets a call. Last one was too close to be worth it.

But...I am wondering if the Tesla glass is susceptible, or am I just in a statistical nightmare.

tedmbrady | 18 september 2019

Sorry for the typos. "An appointment" "replaced the glass"

Pages