Forums

So Tesla can add a "Chill" driving mode, so they should be able to add a "fast" driving mode, but they won't (which sucks)

So Tesla can add a "Chill" driving mode, so they should be able to add a "fast" driving mode, but they won't (which sucks)

I am assuming that Tesla won't add a "fast" driving mode anytime soon since they won't want to dilute the appeal and/or differences between my RWD and the Performance version.

Since I now can charge from 12 - 6 am at 9 cents a kw/hr, I would like the option of a "fast" mode."Chill" mode sucks and only reinforces the false assumption I had about EV's... That they are not fun to drive.

My RWD is a blast to drive in normal mode, and having the option for a "fast" mode would make it even more of a blast. It would not even need to come close to the speed of the Performance version, but could be still noticeably be faster than standard mode.

I hope Tesla makes this a feature in a future update once demand for the Performance version has leveled out.

DTsea | 30 augustus 2018

Normal mode IS fast mode.

#smh

RES IPSA | 30 augustus 2018

Then why is it called normal mode? If it is fast mode, then it should be called fast mode.

Do you mean normal mode is the fastest mode for the vehicle currently? Then yes, that is correct.

My point of the post was expressing how nice it would be if Tesla added a third driving mode. Call it fast or sport, but it would be nice if the vehicle could have slightly better acceleration than normal mode. But not as fast as Performance (obviously)

Magic 8 Ball | 30 augustus 2018

I like turtles

gm_xeon | 30 augustus 2018

I'm curious exactly what you think fast mode should be? A Tesla's default state is fast, which is therefor normal. Are you worried that the 0.3 seconds it takes to floor the pedal from brake hold yields an unsatisfactory amount of thrill?

Chill mode is for relaxed driving. It has nothing to do with generating any false assumption. When you're on a trip, driving for 8 hours, one is not likely to want to floor it every chance they get. You can emulate chill mode by simply not being aggressive with the pedal in normal mode, chill mode detracts nothing from the car, it is a feature most people who travel a lot welcome. Using chill mode is an option and not a requirement.

You have to keep in mind the Model 3 is for the masses, normal mode is more than responsive, but adding a more aggressive response curve adds some serious risk if someone leaves it on and tries to do something such as precision park.

voytres | 30 augustus 2018

I have 4 driving modes on Acura TLX V6, 2 of them - Sports, both are loosing to "normal" Tesla 3 mode ;)

gmkellogg | 30 augustus 2018

Fast mode is available, but it'll cost you 11K more.

Linkedscorpion | 30 augustus 2018

Wait. Normal mode is 100% of available power and 1:1 control of motor power.

Chill mode is less than 100% of available power and a delayed control of motor power.

So would fast mode be 120% of available power? And something beyond the physical limit of the motor’s response time?

Because as crazy impossible as that sounds, I’d like it as well.

djgarrett21 | 30 augustus 2018

The unstated assumption here is that Tesla has restricted the performance of the RWD cars to create a separation between it and the P variant. Assuming that is true, I could see Tesla offering a "ludicrous" or similar mode in the future as an upsell. But, just because a mode is termed "normal" does not mean that it isn't maximum performance.

Does the P have an extra "sport" mode or similar? I know a track mode is coming (or already available) but I see that as a bit different from a performance mode intended for street use.

In my original post, I state that my car is a blast to drive in normal mode. I have no complaints... just offered an idea based upon a recent update (which added "chill" mode). I just thought that if they could slow the car down, they could probably speed the car up. I have not read anywhere (except on this thread) that the normal mode on the RWD is already using 100% of the battery's power. If that is true, then the car goes as fast as possible on normal mode

gm_xeon | 30 augustus 2018

@EV neophyte per the energy meter near the speedometer, flooring it will max it out. The energy meter shows the maximum draw out of what the battery and motor control software will allow with the current firmware, not necessarily the physical limit of the battery and motor(s). There's always the possibility Tesla will enable more power draw with future updates though.

efuseakay | 30 augustus 2018

It's called "Performance".

Rutrow 3 | 30 augustus 2018

Wanting "Normal" mode to be called "Fast" is like a neighborhood dairy bar that doesn't have small/medium/large drinks, they have Large/Extra Large/Jumbo.

smh

leo33 | 30 augustus 2018

@DTsea "Normal mode IS fast mode.
#smh"

"But this one goes to eleven."

cascadiadesign | 30 augustus 2018

Not having a "Fast Mode" sucks? Really?

"Normal" is the spec the car was designed for. "Chill" is an option that dampens accel / decel because some passengers complained of motion sickness if the driver doesn't modulate the pedal smoothly.

If the Model 3 RWD specs "Suck", you should have purchased the performance version.

Rocky_H | 30 augustus 2018

It's funny that my old 2014 standard Model S 85 never even got the "chill" mode update, I guess because they didn't feel it was powerful enough to need to be toned down.

lbowroom | 30 augustus 2018

As funny as a "but this one goes to 11" story this is... there is of course a bit of headroom built into the 100% full throttle map of every car. I wonder if there will ever be a "tuner" market. Likely not with the auto-updating tie to the factory.

Xerogas | 30 augustus 2018

Pay for Performance. That's why they offer that version of the car.

Just because you can slow something down through software doesn't mean you can speed it up through software. It's common sense...this isn't some video game with arbitrary software limits in place.

wayne | 30 augustus 2018

Wrong. There is a “fast” mode. It’s called “track” mode. It is coming soon to Performance models. There was a recent review of it in Road and Track and they raced about it. Sorry I don’t have the link.

wayne | 30 augustus 2018

I mean raves about it

wayne | 30 augustus 2018

Can’t type just got my e-mail today. Woo-hoo! Car is on its way.

I just didn't assume that normal mode on the RWD was already using 100% of the battery's strength. I would have guessed that Tesla would not due that to help protect the batteries that are under warranty.

I only suggested that Tesla add a new option that would open up maybe an additional 3-5% of battery power. That's all.

And yes, I know there is a Performance version for 11k more. I did not want to spend the money on that as I am not legally allowed to (nor do I need to) "race around town." I have owned high performance ICE cars and I am over it.

Just thought it could be a nice option to have a settling that would show off the car a little more occasionally

suren.petrosyan | 31 augustus 2018

@Magic 8 Ball +1

Rutrow 3 | 31 augustus 2018

Ludicrous turtles?

Sslnight | 31 augustus 2018

*Shakes Magic 8 Ball looking for a different answer*

ccsccs7 | 31 augustus 2018

@wayne: Track mode does not enable more power from the battery, it adjusts the stability control and increases regen for maneuvering.

wayne | 31 augustus 2018

@ccsccs True ... I should have said that.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 31 augustus 2018

Your 'Fast Mode' is activated by the long, skinny GO Pedal on the Right and always at the ready.

dsvick | 31 augustus 2018

"I only suggested that Tesla add a new option that would open up maybe an additional 3-5% of battery power."

In the sentence right above that you answered your own reason why they didn't do it. Performance is more than increased battery draw, so your "Fast" mode would also likely have to more than adding 3-5%, which would cost more money. Maybe they could do it for $5K not $11K and call it "Performance Light", but then someone will come around and not want to spend that much, they only want 1-2%, then there will be someone that wants only 1%... They can't cater to everyone, they have chill, normal, and performance .. pick which one you want ...

gtbuzz | 31 augustus 2018

If Tesla adds a "fast" mode I feel they should add a "faster" mode as well. Then comes "fastest" mode. And finally "time travel" mode (science has proven you only need 88mph anyway, so my maths says this should also be doable in chill mode).

D could be forward in time and R could be back in time. Would definitely need FSD add on for this though, humans aren't experienced in time travel yet. Now that I've figured out the hard part they should be able to add all this because it's no different than adding the "chill" mode.

But they probably won't, which sucks.

lbowroom | 31 augustus 2018

The reason the OP is taking so much flack is because his thread topic is an accusation that Tesla is holding back on something it could and should be giving him. All the back peddling about, "I was just suggesting" isn't going to change that.

PessimiStick | 31 augustus 2018

There was a fast mode, and a faster mode. You chose not to order those, you got the RWD.

PBEndo | 31 augustus 2018

This idea is ludicrous!

RES IPSA | 31 augustus 2018

@sromoda... During Hurricane Irma a few years ago, Tesla opened up additional battery capacity for those fleeing the hurricane. It seems like Tesla can activate additional hardware that effects performace within the car if they want to.

Rutrow 3 | 31 augustus 2018

Chill mode has been renamed "Tie Dyed"

lbowroom | 31 augustus 2018

Yes, EV, they can add features. Going faster isn't a feature, it's bounded by the power output capacity of the motors and the batteries! OMG this isn't a software simulation, you wouldn't complain that a Honda civic with a 1.5l engine won't do 0-60 in 3 seconds.

1BadNerd | 31 augustus 2018

C’mon Tesla! Give me Melt mode! I want to dump the full charge of the cells into the drive unit, have it scream like a banshee, Then melt my motor to a copper slug and release the magic smoke from the drive electronics! Why won’t they give me that option! They can update over the air! It’s my car, let me do what I want! It could be the Ultimate Chill mode.

Xerogas | 31 augustus 2018

@EV neophyte: "@sromoda... During Hurricane Irma a few years ago, Tesla opened up additional battery capacity for those fleeing the hurricane. It seems like Tesla can activate additional hardware that effects performace within the car if they want to."
------
Yup, and it wasn’t free. My MS40 had a 60 battery in it, and I could unlock it for $13K. What you’re asking for is the equivalent of me asking them to unlock part of the extra battery for less. “How about giving me an MS42 for $1750”? I mean, they’re free to price it however they like, but why introduce that kind of complexity to their SKUs? And you’re asking for it for free.

cascadiadesign | 31 augustus 2018

"... I would like the option of a "fast" mode."

Sounds like a reasonable request ;)

After all, Jaguar i-Pace has a "Fast Mode" that gives you fake motor sound through the speakers.

Come on Tesla - More Cowbell !

In the meantime I just make my own Vroom Vroom sounds.

Mountain M3 | 31 augustus 2018

You guys are hilarious but maybe between jokes you can explain how exactly the performance battery and drive train differ from the standard AWD. I think that's what Neophyte is getting at and I'm curious about that as well.

Bob.Calvo | 31 augustus 2018

Where’s McLary when you need him?

Bob.Calvo | 31 augustus 2018

Where’s McLary when you need him?

RES IPSA | 31 augustus 2018

I thank those that do not agree with me yet still offered some sort of rational explanation as to why Tesla will never (or can never) unlock more of the car's hardware potential.

So the consensus of the others is that ridicule and mocking achieves more of the intent of this forum than simply ignoring a post you either don't understand, find irrelevant, or silly.

An excellent representation of the maturity required to operate a 4000 lbs deadly weapon on public highways...

RJMIII | 31 augustus 2018

Just turn the dial to 11.

wade.wilson | 31 augustus 2018

There's a fast mode. It's called "Performance" Model 3.

The difference? Monster cables between the battery pack and the motor.

bluem3guy | 1 september 2018

I believe its possible to speed up the car via software updates. Likewise you can underclock the desktop computer by undervolting, you can overclock in similar manner via software as well.

Remember that Tesla introduced Ludicrous mode via software update on S? Then tuned it constantly to achieve more power from it.

Its up to Tesla if they want to overclock it further or not. If performance model uses the same rear motor as does the RWDs assuming with track mode on enabled on as well you can tune the same engine with just software tricks, yes I believe its technically possible for RWDs as well.

I dont think Tesla uses different components on performance models besides front motor, brake calipers and wheels, rims etc. Its just software wise to increase the output...

They just dont want to do it because it could diminishes the sales of performance models.

johnse | 1 september 2018

RWD: 1 motor (normal spec), 1 motor controller built with normal spec parts: 5.1 secs 0-60 (5.6 secs SR battery)
AWD: same as RWD + added motor & controller in front. Extra motor allows more power to be used at a time. 4.5 secs.
P-AWD: same as AWD except motors and controllers are built with better components. 3.5 secs

As is common in the electronics industry, parts made on the same production line can vary in how close to specs they are. Computer CPUs within a family are all made the same way, but some have flaws in parts of the chip. A Core i7, for example, has 4 cores, but if one or two cores have flaws that they find during inspection/testing, they will turn off the flawed cores and sell it as a 2-core chip. Similarly, only the ones closest to spec can run at full speed. Sorting by performance is called “binning”.

Tesla bins the power electronics in the motor controllers, only using the best on the performance cars.

Performance Package adds the 20” wheels, larger brakes, different suspension, etc. and will have track mode that tunes the dynamics to be more appealing to the few that will actually drive them on the track. AFAIK, this doesn’t make it “faster”, though it may allow for better track times due to working better with the driver.

In the past, Tesla has been able to improve acceleration in some cars to some degree. See references to “uncorking”. This isn’t that Tesla was nerfing them before that. It was that they needed real world experience with lots of cars to determine that there was enough headroom above the planned power levels and that they could boost the power without damaging the car. This might happen in the future, but just as they use the top spec parts on th performance versions, they have to be sure that parts across the spectrum will work correctly at the new levels.

As for the Florida unlocking of more range, that was limited to those cars that were purchased with a software-limited battery. The S40 (the few that were sold) had 60kWh batteries, but the software made them appear to the car as a 40kwh battery. Similarly, later S60s (and maybe X60Ds...don’t remember if they offered those or not) had 75kwh batteries, with only 60kWh available.

The owners can, at any time pay the difference in price between the size they paid for and the larger battery actually installed. In the Florida situation, Tesla did a temporary unlock for free. But there was nothing to unlock on the 75, 85, 90, or 100 kWh batteries.

I hope this history lesson sheds some light on the issues.

KP in NPT | 1 september 2018

Where's Mcclary?

Mountain M3 | 1 september 2018

thanks @alisureyyatorun and @johnse for taking the question seriously and taking a stab at it. Your explanations make sense and would tend to reinforce my belief that the cars are "throttled" to some extent. Maybe that's not the right word but it would seem they are software controlled. I have not seen anything that shows differences in components in the motors or power cabling that physically limit horsepower, but the "binning" explanation would make sense and would lead me to think the "throttling" is to protect components rather than just to make us pay more for more power. Anyone have links to teardown comparisons?

As far as battery limits go, I believe the LR is something like an 80kwh battery that only allows us to tap 75kwh.

Mountain M3 | 1 september 2018

And for what it's worth my RWD has plenty of power for me... probably too much considering my lead foot, but I for one am fascinated by the whole engineering marvel that is my car and so I do a lot of wondering about it as I'm commuting back and forth to work in it.

johnse | 1 september 2018

@Mountain M3:
Throttling, or as it is typically called in the auto industry “de-tuning” is common to prevent cars from tearing themselves apart. Many ICE cars are detuned to save fuel, extend engine life, etc. When tuned for maximum output, these cars need continuous maintenance. Take a look at racing crews for the extreme example. They are tuning and adjusting every day to keep those cars running.

And a lot of that de-tuning is done through software.

The few extra kWh that the batteries are “rated” for is, again, to prevent damage. You don’t want to get the battery discharged to the state where a few cells are completely depleted. Batteries placed in such a state will have current forced through them in the direction opposite to charging. This causes the cell to “reverse” and causes significant internal damage. So, yes, the car will refuse to use that last few percent. Not for some nefarious reason, but to protect your investment.

Can they dump more power through the RWD motor? Yes, the battery can supply the current. Electric motors can usually provide higher power than rated for short times. But would you rather have a car 0.2 seconds faster that breaks down randomly because it is run at the edge, or a car able to go 120,000 warranteed miles with minor scheduled service? And with an expectation of a million miles or so of drivetrain life?

Pages