Forums

please make a keyfob

please make a keyfob

I know this topic has been raised before, but this car so needs a keyfob. I used to think I had key problems because I had a older iphone 6. but, this summer, I upgraded to Iphone X.

today, the spouse had the car. The car would unlock but would not drive. We found the wallet keycard, but on the way to pick up the kids, the card fell off the dashboard. Because the card is small and black, we could not find the darn thing.

It was a nightmare in carpool. We backed up traffic. lots of angry kids, parents, and teachers. We finally reset the tesla password and were able to drive off.

I have a model X, too. I keep the keyfob in my pocket. there is never a problem.

Tesla, please release a key!

Samta09 | 20 september 2018
spuzzz123 | 20 september 2018

Haven’t had a problem for 6 months since I drove it off the service center lot. Works perfectly every time. Make sure you don’t hard close the app or turn off Bluetooth. You don’t need a fob

Jlomb436 | 20 september 2018

I hard close the app all of the time. I do it to save on battery life as a battery monitor app I have recommends it. I think it should work without the app open but I'll be happy when a fob comes out. I'm rocking a super old phone so I sort of expected the results I had haha.

cornellio | 20 september 2018

No Tesla, please don't make a key fob. I like the app, I like the card. Always keep the card in your pocket as a backup.

TexasBob | 20 september 2018

I predict they will sell dozens of these.

spuzzz123 | 20 september 2018

(Apple) Phone Battery doesn’t drain for me so long as I only allow location services while using app.

I don’t want to come off sounding like I’m against tesla offering an optional fob. However I don’t want them to stop supporting the phone or improving phone functionality.

gballant4570 | 20 september 2018

A key fob is something I have managed to never have, due to my usual habit of buying used cars and keeping them for a decade or longer. I cannot see the fob as an asset..... its the same as the card, but makes a lump in your pocket.....

socaldave | 20 september 2018

It's a personal preference, but for me, the phone's worked a charm. I sure hope Elon puts a nice price tag on it, tho. $300 minimum. You knew under what conditions the car operated and you bought it - you want the extra convenience? Pay for it.

dkabq | 20 september 2018

I remember an article a while ago about the FCC having it under wraps until Sept 20th, I guess it is Sept 20th. Electrek has an article on this as well:

https://electrek.co/2018/09/20/tesla-model-3-key-fob-images/

dgstan | 20 september 2018

> its the same as the card, but makes a lump in your pocket.....

The fobs we're talking about here don't require you to take them out of your pocket and hold them against the door.

dkabq | 20 september 2018

The other nice thing about the key fob is it can unlock the front trunk and if you have implemented the mod with the stronger gas air lift supports the front trunk will open hands free with the fob when your hands are full.

billtphotoman | 20 september 2018

Me too. Picked up my model 3 yesterday and after going 5 of 5 for the phone key working, I was feeling smug. Today during a driving rain storm it failed. Pulled out wallet to activate card key. Wallet falls in puddle. Coworkers chuckle. I invent some new colorful language. Fob Please. Soon.

Ryan1296 | 20 september 2018

iPhone 6 - 9 weeks since delivery and has worked perfectly

I think the User Manual update very funny and the entire thing is probably bogus: "This Key fob is used for user that don’t want to use phone nor NFC card to unlock their car. It contains three bottoms that able to unlock the frunk, door and trunk."

Obviously, no one at Tesla wrote this. First, Tesla never, ever refers to the front trunk as a "frunk" - you will not find that term anywhere in the owner's manual. Second, the rest of the "updated" owners manual talks only about "two ways" to open the car - phone and key - not three ways. Strange for an update no? Third, "is used for user that..." Tesla never talk about you as a user. They say "you or your." Even if they did suddenly switch to user, I think Tesla would understand that it should say something like "may be used" not is used, it is a user "who" not a user "that" (a user is a person not an object). Even if you fixed that part, the rest of the grammar is atrocious. I say: FAKE NEWS. :-)

Oh it contains three "buttons" not "bottoms" (though a FOB with three bottoms would be an innovation indeed!).

ebmcs03 | 20 september 2018

I want it. Hope it’s free for me.

suesspj | 20 september 2018

Does the card work with an RFID or whatever blocker wallet?

Xerogas | 21 september 2018

@suesspj: "Does the card work with an RFID or whatever blocker wallet?"
------
Sure, as long as you remove it from the RFID-blocking wallet. The SOLE purpose of an RFID-blocking wallet is to defeat RFID cards, such as the card key.

bj | 21 september 2018

@spuzzz123 - “Haven’t had a problem for 6 months since I drove it off the service center lot. Works perfectly every time. Make sure you don’t hard close the app or turn off Bluetooth. You don’t need a fob”

So, because everything is hunky-dory for you, everyone who *is* having App problems (and there are plenty of them) can go pound sand, right?

bj | 21 september 2018

@cornellio - “No Tesla, please don't make a key fob.”

And when they do make one, what will you do? Boycott Tesla? Run a social media campaign? Just wondering...

bj | 21 september 2018

@gballant4570 - “I cannot see the fob as an asset..... its the same as the card, but makes a lump in your pocket.....”

Cool - I didn’t know that the card has buttons on it that allow you to unlock the car upon approach.

spuzzz123 | 21 september 2018

@BJ let me repeat what I already said and you evidently didn't read. I don't care if they make an optional fob for you guys who can't figure out the phone, I just don't want them to discontinue supporting the phone in order to force the rest of us to buy and carry an expensive fob.

syclone | 21 september 2018

Wait 'til they start bitching about the $350.00 charge for each fob.

joe.lynn.atp | 21 september 2018

I think what people mean to say is “if you decide to offer a key fob, Tesla, don’t remove the functionality of the phone or key cards. Make the key fob an optional accessory.”

I have only had my car for 13 days, but my iPhone X has been nearly perfect: I only had to take it out of my pocket once to unlock. I never force close the app, I leave Bluetooth active and I give it access to location services always and I haven’t noticed any increased battery drain. I am on iOS 12 now and it is still running well. So I have no interest in a key fob either, but I encourage Tesla to develop an optional one for the people who want one.

@syclone35 I misplaced one of my Prius key fobs a couple of years ago, and that is what it cost me to replace it: $350. My DA told me Tesla key cards are $5.

@Joe - if you are clarifying my language for politeness ok I accept that. But let me clarify a subtle difference between what you and I said. "don't remove functionality" vs "don't stop supporting." Tesla could leave things as they are and things will work fine for now. But if they stop supporting, or reduce priority on support means every new iOS upgrade and patch could and eventually would introduce problems that Tesla wouldn't fix. Phone-as-key users would scream and Tesla would say here's a workaround, go buy a fob. THAT's what I don't want to see happen. I enjoy not carrying a fob.

@spuzzz123: I was writing my post as your was submitted so I didn’t see it before mine. I wasn’t trying to polish your language, I was trying to counter the people saying “no key fob”. I agree 100% with you: I think the phone as key is a great idea, it works well for me and I don’t ever want to buy a key fob. The phone as key has much more potential for future expansion of capabilities than a key fob does so keep that as the primary key.

billtphotoman | 21 september 2018

I certainly like the concept of the phone key and once Bluetooth becomes 5 9s reliable (Vs 9 5s reliable now) across phone models and phone OSs it should be completely viable. But, that happy day isn't here for many of us yet. IIRC Tesla charges $150 for the model S/X Fob so I suspect the model 3 Fob will be reasonably priced. And I would only need 1 since I have 2 key cards and the phone key as a backup.

bj | 21 september 2018

@spuzzz123 - “let me repeat what I already said and you evidently didn't read.”

Oh I read what you wrote. You wrote, without qualification in response to the OP, “You don’t need a fob”. No ifs, no buts, no caveats. You only softened your position in a subsequent post.

disapr | 21 september 2018

The 'Phone Key' works perfectly. Leave the app running.

It's too bad that they seem to be giving in on this because FOBS are absolutely not necessary.

Also
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-model-x-bluetooth-smartphone-key...

ODWms | 21 september 2018

I wouldn’t want one. But I get that others do. It will be interesting to see what the cost will be.

gadget63 | 21 september 2018

I for one will welcome a key FOB. Ever since Tesla updated their app for android, I have seem a noticeable drop in my phones battery life. I find that I have to kill the app and only start it when I need to drive.

rbnjmnz73 | 21 september 2018

My phone works perfect, never had a problem with opening/starting the car. If they give me one for free, sure why not, but I won't be purchasing one.

vermonster | 21 september 2018

I probably would get a fob, as there are times I don't want to carry my phone but still want to unlock without getting the key card out of my pocket. Now, if only they had a app for the Apple watch that would unlock/lock the doors.

neil.weinstock | 21 september 2018

@vermonster

Actually, now that you mention it, a decent Apple Watch app might accomplish almost everything I'd want the key fob for. It's a mystery to me why Tesla hasn't made one. I'll bet there is a significant percentage of Tesla owners who wear Apple Watches.

JFleischood | 21 september 2018

LMAO - The bitterness spewing from the anti-fobbers is pungent in this thread. Lol, like go back and look at what you are actually writing. People have simply expressed a desire to have an option to PURCHASE a FOB, not even to have it included, and a lot of you are so incensed by this that you are actually calling for Tesla to price gouge people for them. Wow! Just wow. What a community. If Tesla was able to figure this out for EVERYONE through a software update, they would have done so. Obviously, they were not able to, so obviously it was a problem they knew needed to be addressed. Good job on Tesla's part. Bad job on the Tesla fellowship on these boards.

Azred50 | 21 september 2018

Haven’t posted here for a few months and thought I'd see if the cast of characters had improved. Nope. As for the need for a fob, in spite of the usual stupid comments here, Tesla obviously recognizes that their bad solution to the non-existent "problem" of a key fob has limitations. As usual, Tesla is responding.

Haven’t posted here for a few months and thought I'd see if the cast of characters had improved. Nope. As for the need for a fob, in spite of the usual stupid comments here, Tesla obviously recognizes that their bad solution to the non-existent "problem" of a key fob has limitations. As usual, Tesla is responding.

Thought I'd try to single handedly balance out the dumb posts.

Try saying that fast three times.

markr7 | 21 september 2018

I bet if you took a poll from people experiencing issues with using their phone as a key are using Android phones running Bluetooth v. 4.1

I have been using an iPhone X for 4 months & it has worked 100% of the time.
Get a better phone & your problems will magically go away....

apodbdrs | 21 september 2018

In driving the Model S, I disliked having to carry the bulky key fob; one more thing I don't need. I really prefer Model 3 as it requires the key card or my phone. I use my phone, and keep my card in my wallet. Two months in and I have never had any issues using my Samsung Android phone.

bradl | 21 september 2018

I'm fine with fobs and think they really should be available as an alternative, but man those car-shaped Tesla fobs are hideous. They look to me like a 10 year old's idea of a Kewl Key. Obviously taste is subjective :-)

My ideal fob is as thin and pocketable as possible, looks like it belongs to an adult, and is resistant to unintentional button presses. My i3 fob wears its cover backwards to cover the buttons and I had to stop putting my Jeep fob in my jeans watch pocket because it kept triggering Panic mode when I'd bend over or sit wrong.

cascadiadesign | 21 september 2018

Chill - Offering a FOB certainly doesn't mean Tesla will drop the phone key option.

Not all phones work reliably as a key, in spite of making all the recommended settings. Tesla recognizes that by offering the FOB.

The question for people like myself will be, upgrade the phone to a model that works reliably, or purchase the FOB? Depends on the price Tesla assigns.

cascadiadesign | 21 september 2018

" ... those car-shaped Tesla fobs are hideous" I agree.

Amazon offers several Tesla FOB covers that somewhat mask the car shape, and include a key ring as well.

bj | 21 september 2018

@markr7 - “I have been using an iPhone X for 4 months & it has worked 100% of the time.”

Good for you.

“Get a better phone & your problems will magically go away....”

Gee, who’d a thought that to reliably operate your Model 3 you’d need to buy a $1000 phone. What if someone doesn’t want to buy a new phone? Why should this be the customer’s fault?

If that’s your preferred “solution”, then a fob will be cheaper for the vast majority of customers. So good on Tesla.

bj | 21 september 2018

@JFleischood - nailed it. Particularly on those who for utterly unfathomable reasons think Tesla should price-gouge on a fob, as if it should be some kind of punishment for people for whom the App solution is unreliable or not preferred. Yeah, it’s all their fault and vengeance should be wreaked. That’ll teach ‘em to not buy a $1000 iPhone X.

dmastro | 21 september 2018

Count me in as someone who would like to see a small FOB available as an alternative.

I'm an avid runner and don't carry my phone on runs. The dimensions of the card won't fit in the small pockets in my running shorts; however, my current car's FOB is the perfect size.

I shouldn't have to add this disclaimer. but most fanboys here are too quick to assume the worst so here goes.... I am not demeaning the phone app or the card, as I'm sure they work fine and I intend the phone to be my main access 95% of the time.

Pages