Forums

multiple teslas break ins. How do we prevent it?

multiple teslas break ins. How do we prevent it?

I live in Sunnyvale, CA area. My neighbor got his model 3 last week and within 3 days, his model 3 got broken into when he was out for dinner.

I was out for dinner tonight and my model 3 got broken into. Fortunately there was not valuable in my car.
Interesting thing is, there were three teslas in the parking lot. All teslas where broken into (two model 3s and one model s). None of the none Tesla cars where affected.

None of the Tesla security alarms went off.

On model 3s they broke the small glass next to rear window that doesn't roll down. However, on the model S they first tried to smash the entire rear window.

I have two questions:

Is this some sort of anti Tesla movement?
How do we prevent this from happening?
thoughts on this?

kevin_rf | 21 september 2018

The thieves are clearly going for the most expensive cars... Best you can do is not leave anything of value in the car.

Wormtown Kris | 21 september 2018

Park next to the Bugatti

spuzzz123 | 21 september 2018

cmon dude

apodbdrs | 21 september 2018

I attended a communitiy meeting with the local police in Southern California and I also belong to NEXTDOOR.COM, a social website for the surrounding communities. Car break-ins are occuring everywhere, it is not an issue of the type or model car, but rather people leaving things in their cars that are visible and appear to have some value. If you are out to dinner, etc., keep anything that may appear to have any value in your car trunk. Even simple things like a bag that looks like a purse, sunglasses, etc.

charles.a.braun | 21 september 2018

Get out of California! Should you chose to stay in California, stop voting for things like "Safe Neighborhoods and Schools" and stop voting for legislators and governors that seek to decriminalize virtually every criminal act.

carlk | 21 september 2018

@kevin_rf If you've been to the Silicon Valley Model 3 is far from most expensive cars here. There might be some kind of anti-Tesla movement going on but that's probably in those new break in threads kept on popping up.

jordanrichard | 21 september 2018

Yes, only Teslas get broken into and DAMN IT! Tesla needs to do something about it.

kashyap02004 | 21 september 2018

A bit more detail:

there were 3 Teslas and 20 other cars. There were other expensive cars too in there (Audis and BMWs). But the thief didn't touch none Tesla cars. Interesting.

I strongly believe that if first Tesla that was broken into started honking due to physical touch while parked, the thief wouldn't mess with rest of the cars and would definitely stay away from Teslas in future.

gmkellogg | 21 september 2018

I would say a flamethrower security system. Either that or a force field. Get on it Elon.

disapr | 21 september 2018

Just need to set up honey pots. Park Tesla's in known hot spots and have police standing by surveilling from a distance. Once someone does something, nab them and make sure that the news covers it.

billstanton | 21 september 2018

Other threads on this topic have suggested dropping the back seats down so the empty trunk can be seen. Its annoying and not useful if you do have something in the trunk, but perhaps putting little things in the area under the trunk floor, frunk and folding down the back seats could help a little.

leo33 | 21 september 2018

This Thread is nearly a duplicate of your last thread. What's up with that?

al | 21 september 2018

With all the cameras this car has, why not use to record during times the car is not moving as well. Maybe have a shock sensor that will wake up each camera in the event a certain level of sound is achieved. Once the word gets out to theives or vandals they will stay away.

kashyap02004 | 21 september 2018

@leo haha i mistakenly pressed enter key after putting the title on previous thread. So it got posted before i got chance to put details in it. So i had to create new thread with more details.

With as many people as California has, 40 million, it ranks 15th in crime. We have never had home or car break-in, but know of others that have. In almost 90 plus percent of cases where people had their house or car broken into, it was negligence on the part of the victiim. The community police reported the same, 90 percent plus. Cars or house left open, packages or valuables visable,etc. I have no intentions of ever leaving California after having lived in several other states. Best state in the USA!

natmaster | 21 september 2018

Very strange to happen in Sunnyvale which is a very safe part of Silicon Valley where most residents are pretty well off. I'd expect this to happen in San Francisco because that's a shithole. This might very well be a movement because Cali leftists are insane. They were posing as Google workers and acting racist to try to make google look bad, and throwing rocks at Google buses. Cali leftists just want to watch the world burn.

(Disclosure: I used to live in Sunnyvale and live in Redwood City now)

Correction, I did have a break-in once on my truck many years ago. I left the truck unlocked and someone coin change and few useless things that I could easly replace. I don't leave my cars unlocked anymore.

Xerogas | 21 september 2018

@kashyap02004: "@leo haha i mistakenly pressed enter key after putting the title on previous thread. So it got posted before i got chance to put details in it. So i had to create new thread with more details."
------
You can edit the main post of a thread. Upper left corner

RES IPSA | 21 september 2018

Do I now have to worry about the "shorts" and/or oil industry representatives breaking into my Model 3? Is this a real conspiracy against Tesla and its owners? Only time will tell...

TeslaTap.com | 21 september 2018

The problem became far larger in the last year. Laws in CA changed so that police are not allowed to follow crooks onto the freeway - might cause crooks to crash and get killed. Police hands are tied and the crooks are taking advantage of this. Especially risky are business establishments very close to freeway access. A local In-n-Out has be especially hit hard (next to freeway 101 in Mountain View) with 1 out of 4 break ins in the entire city occurring there! https://mv-voice.com/news/2017/10/20/city-sees-spike-in-auto-burglaries.

Dashcams may help (I caught one break into a BMW in front of me my dashcam). Doubtful Tesla's built-in dashcam (if released) will be much value. Takes too much power to keep the AP processor running while parked - about 1-2 miles of range per hour and sends quite a bit of heat into the Model S/X cabin. Model 3 uses liquid cooling, so HVAC may need to remain on, perhaps taking far more miles per hour.

natmaster, I just looked crime rates, Sunnyvale, CA has much lower crime rate than Redwood City, Ca! As a matter of fact Sunnyvale is one of the safest cities in the U.S.

charles.a.braun | 21 september 2018

@apodbdrs - Crime stats for California are all but useless today thanks to so many crimes (especially things like stealing a phone or laptop from a car) being decriminalized by the idiots that voted for "Safe Neighborhoods and Schools".

The police wont even respond to a car break because it is a low class misdemeanor for someone to break your window and steal your $900 Kimber that you left in plain sight.

And if they do respond and even catch the guy red handed, most they will do is cite and release and that does not generally show up in your crime stats.

gm_xeon | 21 september 2018

I've heard that Teslas can be singled out because the rear corner windows supposedly do not have break sensors (so the alarm won't go off) and they can peek into the trunk from that corner window to see any valuables. It's odd no alarm went off on the Model S, pretty sure the regular 4 side windows have break sensors, maybe it can break in such a way that they aren't triggered? If the glass break sensor is not tripped, the only other sensor that could detect a break in is the tilt sensor which is not likely to trip from just breaking glass.

Mathew98 | 21 september 2018

Wouldn't tinting the windows inside and outside create sort of a safety glass sandwich? Or just the laminated tint on the outside...

gm_xeon | 21 september 2018

One deterrent you could try is glass break film and the sticker it usually comes with that says it's protected from breaking. That alone would probably be enough to stop someone from trying, though they may think it's a bluff and try anyways.

cyndyclayton | 21 september 2018

Sounds like it might be safer just to leave the car unlocked, with nothing inside to steal either way. At least the windows wouldn't get broken.

mrburke | 21 september 2018

The car has camera's all around as well as ultra sonic sensors To bad we can't set it to record activity around the car.

teja_km | 31 december 2018

Our brand new Tesla was broken into last night. This was parked in a well lit area in the nob hill complex on the corner of Lawrence and Monroe in Santa Clara. They broke the left passenger small window first and then they broke the right passenger window completely. There was anything valuable. The complex people later said it’s a pattern there and last week 3 Tesla’s were broken into one evening. Wish we could get some info from one of the cams that the Model 3 has. Any clues? Thanks.

jpalermo | 31 december 2018

If this were a problem in my area, I'd probably just leave the car unlocked and put a little notecard over the small window saying "unlocked, no valuables inside".

Hal Fisher | 31 december 2018

It sounds like weirdos just hating teslas. There are just too many weirdos anymore. Trsla needs to make the cameras record when the alarm goes off.

mrburke | 31 december 2018

@Hal Fisher - Not only you car's cameras, but the cameras in nearby Teslas as well.

dch8 | 1 januari 2019

My Model 3 quarter window was broken on 12/30 as well, but there was nothing to steal. Location was in Sunnyvale, Lawrence and Lake Haven.

Matinski | 1 januari 2019

@teja_km & @dch8

Were your back seats up or down? I’ve been leaving my back seats down, hoping to avoid a break in.

ricksli | 2 januari 2019

Perhaps Tesla can make a blinking red dot on the display to warn that there is an alarm system?

ricksli | 2 januari 2019

Perhaps Tesla can make a blinking red dot on the display to warn that there is an alarm system?

darelldd | 7 januari 2019

>> it is not an issue of the type or model car, but rather people leaving things in their cars that are visible and appear to have some value <<

Simply not true. I was a smash-and-grab victim in SF over the weekend. And there was *nothing* visible in the car. Please stop blaming the victims.

reposado2 | 7 januari 2019

"How do we prevent it?"

There is a reason why this is an epidemic particularly in the Bay Area. Demand your local government treat crimes like crimes.

lbowroom | 7 januari 2019

Do you think Teslas are being singled out, or just occur at a similar rate to a rampage of break-ins?

reposado2 | 7 januari 2019

This is why you see so many car break ins in SF.

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Only-13-arrests-in-7-years-of-SF-on...

Basically "Of the more than 81,000 online reports of auto break-ins that victims filed in San Francisco over the past seven years, a mere 13 cases resulted in arrests."

There is ZERO penalty for breaking in cars in the Bay Area.

rkalbiarEV | 7 januari 2019

Yeah, we can definitely use Tesla's help on this one.
I don't need that stinkin' window. How about a metal or other much less breakable material to replace them?

kawdennis | 7 januari 2019

natmaster +1

coleAK | 7 januari 2019

My concern that the new crime reform “first step act” will make these type of things worse. That national bill had many simialrities to Alaska’s disasterous SB91 that passes in 2016. It pretty much increased car theft, break in, shop lifting and burglary 3-5x. Now we are trying to undo it. This was the reason the AK senators voted “No” on the federal bill that passed.

nguyenvinh | 9 januari 2019

Solid metal piece for the rear window mod would be cool. Maybe someone will create aftermarket replacement that is a solid piece instead of a window.

Nexxus | 16 januari 2019

Get a window sticker that says" Protected by Snapper Security". Then when they break the window and reach for the latch, a rat trap trips and breaks their fingers. They'll never do it again.

coleAK | 16 januari 2019

Hire a private guard to watch your car at all times. Well that or pass legislation that actually holds criminals accountable

TeslaTap.com | 16 januari 2019

There are no good fixes by owners or Tesla. Let's say you install a metal plate over the corner window. Then they just break the side window or worse the back/hatch window!

Next you install the Intrusion detector (S/X only right now). Seems thiefs really don't care about alarms. So it goes off, they smash and grab and are gone in 10 seconds. Still it might scare them off (hopefully).

Some slightly more practical solutions (maybe):
- Keep a nasty doberman in the car when you're gone.
- Install bulletproof glass throughout
- Install a 4 camera dashcam setup (cameras on every side).
- Hire a kid to stay in the car while you shop, etc.
- Don't park - use drive-throughs or have everything delivered

AaA | 16 januari 2019

Found this as a possible solution on a you tube channel : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bqlt3C7jp8 .

There is a link at the bottom that shows where to buy it from - website shows that it starts shipping February 1st .

Kenz | 16 januari 2019

Tesla needs to improve its alarm systems in their cars.

Motion detection inside the car should be standard and there should also be motion detection for the 8 cameras when parked. (having an internal SSD would be nice) Getting the picture of the thief and possibly their license number would be helpful in prosecution.

It would give the parking lot people and the police something to look for. I wonder where these parking lots are that so many cars are getting broken into. Many lots today have cameras.

uknowinvu2 | 16 januari 2019

Leave you seats down for the time being?

benichols | 16 januari 2019

I do not live in an area where this appears to are happening frequently. However, if I did, I would buy these (https://www.amazon.com/Doberman-Security-SE-0106-4PK-Ultra-Slim-Window/d...) and stick them on the small windows for alarm protection. Might be worth $15 for others?

Pages