Forums

Delivery Issues / Corporate Complaint?

Delivery Issues / Corporate Complaint?

I had a truly terrible delivery experience yesterday (Saturday) with my new Model 3 in Raleigh NC. It took them an hour longer than expected to process the paperwork. Then they told me that the fuse on their charger had broken, so the car only had half a charge. Then I went out to my car and the sales person was too busy to give me a tutorial, so just told me "it's super-intuitive" and that I should just figure it out. I drove away angry and 5 minutes later they called and told me they had forgotten to put the license plate on. I drove back and one of the other sales reps asked how my delivery experience had been. I told him it was terrible and hadn't even got a tutorial. He offered to take me on a drive to show me all of the car's features. I took him up on it. Two minutes in, he said that the cameras weren't working properly - the car wasn't recognizing other cars on the road. We went back and one of the service guys came out. He said it was fine and I just needed to drive 50 miles so they could calibrate. He checked my app, but the car wasn't showing up. He couldn't fix it locally so suggested I call the National service center on Monday. I drove away and made it home with no issues. Later last night I got a panicked voicemail from the Tesla person who had filled out my paperwork saying that they'd forgotten to have me sign a form and it was "illegal" for me to be driving my car. They then asked me to drive back and sign the form (although driving the car apparently would be illegal). I called back and left a voicemail. I've left 2 other voicemails over the past 24 hours but haven't heard anything back. So right now I spent 4 hours doing the '15 minute delivery', the car doesn't show up in the app and apparently it's illegal for me to drive it. The car is amazing. It drives beautifully, the design is stunning and the technology is truly impressive. But the service was a joke. If I'd bought a shirt and got this service I'd be pissed. But this is a $50k car - so it's really ridiculous. Does anyone have any advice about the most effective way to lodge a complaint. I'd like to get some sort of compensation for having had such a bad experience. I'd normally escalate it to an executive in the company, but with all of the execs leaving the company lately I don't know who to address it to. Any advice is really appreciated.

slingshot18 | 23 september 2018

Pretty sure corporate knows things aren’t as good as they need to be. I don’t think a complaint will do anything unless it makes you feel better. If it was me I’d just be happy I got my awesome car.

Xerogas | 23 september 2018

@jqobrien: your complaint is with your local delivery center, not corporate. You will get more responsibility from the manager there, and a much higher chance of resolution. If they do not respond appropriately, use your Tesla website “manage your car page” to escalate to an executive in the “ask a question” action. It will automatically be routed to an executive.

Don’t worry about FUD headlines about execs leaving; any company with 40,000 employees statistically churns VPs at the same rate as any other level. VPs in companies are not like the Vice President of the United States (where there’s just one)...there are hundreds. It’s just a way of giving someone a better title than “director”

Magic 8 Ball | 23 september 2018

Another ridiculous over reaction wanting compensation.
An entitled whiner in my book.

apodbdrs | 23 september 2018

You will be getting a survey on line, that is the place to do it! I read in one of this forum's threads, just a day or two ago, that TESLA wasn't delivering in North Carolina due to the recent rains?

Wormtown Kris | 23 september 2018

OP has legitimate concerns. Sorry that you had an unreasonably bad experience (incompetence I'd say?)
But Tesla knows full well that they have issues with delivery. It is THE "bottleneck" right now. They know they need more manpower, but it is "all hands on deck' for 7 more days until the quarter ends, volunteer owners included. Tesla's long term success depends on posting a profit this quarter. The alternative would be scheduling only the cars they can deliver with adequate service, and who knows how long you'd have to wait for yours...
So that being said, while it is poor customer service, I don't think your request for compensation will get any traction. (You came away with a car which is free of defects other than not being sync'd to your phone. Many others have not). And the executive churn is close to industry average. It's just that everything Tesla is under a microscope, and nobody GAF when someone leaves GM or BMW.
Push for a resolution to your service issues, let them come to your workplace for your sig if they can't get it electronically, and then, enjoy driving the future. The delivery and service blips are a symptom of being ahead of the curve. They'll get the deliveries straightened out eventually, but you've got your car so try to move forward, despite the lackluster delivery experience.

akruti500 | 5 november 2018

Hi,
I haven't taken delivery of my car yet and experiencing issues with Tesla service and Delivery. My delivery was scheduled for November 7th, 2018 and today I am getting a phone call that it is delayed due to some paint imperfection. and they don't even know how long it's going to take to fix the issue. The person I was dealing with at Tesla, Owings Mills, MD was so rude and unapologetic. I feel like I should cancel my order. I had a great experience with Tesla, Natick Mall, MA. Very disappointed.

Adrianmaceiras | 28 november 2018

Hi, I am still waiting for my VIN and delivery date for my MR model 3. I am a reservation holder, I live in San Francisco, and I placed the order 10/18 at night. There are people already receiving their delivery date in Chicago for MR model 3 without being a reservation holder. That is not good. Tesla should respect people with reservations.

sandbankd | 30 november 2018

I ordered a Tesla model 3 and the user experience has been a nightmare from the start. The website when ordering the car is very vague and it is very difficult to find details such as what features are included on the car. I called up Tesla to find out what features are on the car i ordered and they could not tell me. I finally found out by hunting long enough on the site. Prior to delivery you have to pay for the car however it does not tell you when or how. I called tesla once again (takes about 1/2 hour to get someone on the phone and they said that within 24 hours of delivery they will send me a contract with the amount and ACH info. I got an email saying the information was online in my account but it wasn't. I called Tesla again (another 1/2 hour wait) and they said there was a technical glitch and they can email the information. I paid for the car in full one day prior to delivery and mentioned that I need to get the car because I am taking the day off to receiver the car scheduled for 2:00. Tesla never showed up but I got a call at 5:30PM from Tesla asking to reschedule because I never "showed up" and I explained that it was a delivery and they never came in which they said oh yeah your right. I said they need to bring it by now because I took the day off from work and they said ok. They never came and never called back. I called the local Tesla dealer and asked them to help. They said they are looking into it and trying to track down the car. I called them the next day and they said they found the car and are prepping it and I can come by and pick it up at the dealer. I got another call saying that they found a problem with the car and they found me another one but my insurance company is now closed so they can't change the vin number till next week. I am not trying to cancel the order and get my money back.
This has been a complete nightmare.

kmlexington | 3 december 2018

I had multiple issues/delays with my Model 3 delivery which included a seatbelt sensor malfunction on the second delivery attempt. A few days after delivery I noticed the right passenger window wouldn’t close during a snowstorm but they fixed it right away. A few days later, however, I noticed the rear defrost wasn’t activating all of the wires in the rear windshield and now I’m waiting to schedule that repair. And I’m also waiting for them to credit me for the free supercharging which somehow was omitted from my account.
The customer experience would be great if they actually had influence over the operation problems that arise and could guarantee the result they promise. Instead I’ve heard multiple employees at the dealership complain that they have no direct control over the process and simple rely on a buggy computer system (Saleforce) to communicate with corporate. It’s no wonder things are disorganized.

kmlexington | 3 december 2018

I had multiple issues/delays with my Model 3 delivery which included a seatbelt sensor malfunction on the second delivery attempt. A few days after delivery I noticed the right passenger window wouldn’t close during a snowstorm but they fixed it right away. A few days later, however, I noticed the rear defrost wasn’t activating all of the wires in the rear windshield and now I’m waiting to schedule that repair. And I’m also waiting for them to credit me for the free supercharging which somehow was omitted from my account.
The customer experience would be great if they actually had influence over the operation problems that arise and could guarantee the result they promise. Instead I’ve heard multiple employees at the dealership complain that they have no direct control over the process and simple rely on a buggy computer system (Saleforce) to communicate with corporate. It’s no wonder things are disorganized.

Pradeepb | 3 december 2018

Tesla has to learn art of logistics and quality control. Looks like the only focus of the company seems to be producing larger volume of cars and not neccessary quality cars. Yes, most issues can be fixed afterwards, but as a customer I don't want to see the service center so often.

Most likely I will be taking the delivery of the car this week, I should prepare myself to walk away. That's sad state after waiting for two years.

I may be missing on the Federal credit but I would wait for the quality to improve.

As of now I am not happy with the buying process, looks like Tesla has no interest in keeping customer happy. Walking away is an art, no company is so good that they can misbehave and take customer for granted.

mmclean708 | 3 december 2018

@pradeepb, we took delivery on Oct 13 in New York. It was less than stellar, but a lot faster than the all day trips to buy ice cars, and no suggestive selling! But so far there are no quality issues with our 3...dual motor...and I am amazed that one thing that seemed like a big deal, sticking windows in cold weather, was fixed with a software update in 20 minutes! Seriously, yes, some have problems, but many do not. And the buying part is a very minor part of ownership. We drove 400 miles and learned a lot on the way. Read the owners manual, and take the car. You will love it.

charles49 | 3 december 2018

I had a similar experience when ordering and picking up my Model 3 from Roswell, GA store. The bottom line for me was that Tesla almost never followed through with what they said. My original delivery date was moved up two weeks from promised date with one days notice to pick up car. This created issues with finances for me. Got a second vehicle, finalized all the finances for the second car. Tesla changed the deal when I went to pick up car - no notice of changes. Also received almost no training on car. Staff was rude and seemed to know very little about the car. They said it was easy to operate and you can figure it out yourself. They even said, since you bought the cheap car you don't get the full training. I really didn't expect that. Tesla will not last if they continue to treat their customers so poorly.

erik | 3 december 2018

My model 3 delivery was terrible as well. My 3 previous Tesla's went perfectly smooth. This was rescheduled 3 or 4 times, then they scheduled me on a Sunday only to drive 4 hours to pick up the car to find they were closed on Sunday, they apologized. Then the delivery was rescheduled, went to check out and the price was thousands more than my order. They built the wrong car. So they had to rebuild the car, waited a month and now have it. Now as terrible as that was and having owned a S, S performance and X, this M3 is the best and most fun car I've ever driven hands down. I'll overlook Tesla's delivery flaws for producing the most incredible cars on the planet. I'm sure they will get better.

Hal Fisher | 3 december 2018

Ignore magic 8 ball. Pretty sure he still gets driven to school by his mommy.

monica.mao | 18 december 2018

I really have AWEFUL delivery experience with Tesla in Pasadena, California at this time.
I was told that my only one new Tesla 100D order has 2 number, it is weird:
5JUXCAF20JF142731 ( SECOND ONE EMAILED ME)
5YJXCAE20JF142499 ( FIRST ONE EMAILED ME)
I need help now! For my second Telsla 100D ordered on Dec. 2nd, I was told by the rep. Publo said three times my order will get delivered by Dec. 7th, and for $10,000 tax deduction purpose in 2018, we paid EMD and signed the Tesla contract on Dec. 2nd in 2018. After then me and my husband sold our other 2 cars on Dec. 4th to get space for the new Tesla to come. Until Dec. 15th, it is still no any notice to get deliver my Tesla, We only have ONE Tesla to drive at home, it is so so inconvenient for us to deliver and pick up 2 daughters for school!
We need Tesla support to deliver our new Tesla THIS WEEK, THE LATEST CANNOT BEHIND DEC. 31ST, 2018 subject to my tax deduction issue. Please , please , please!!!!!!
MY CONTACT IS 626-641-2338
EMAIL: Monica.mao@smb-mortgage.com

monica.mao | 18 december 2018

Please read my complain and really HELP OUT on my Tesla delivery this WEEK! Thank you so much!

goatea | 18 december 2018

I don't know about your delivery experience, it sounds out of the ordinary. It must suck.

The 50 miles to calibrate autopilot is totally normal, though.

OP and monica.mao, call your sales person! That's what I did. He promised me all these things and I said, "I'll call you to deliver on your promise," and it worked. They don't get commission until car is sold, so it's in their interest to work this shit out. Don't rely on emails from finance or even delivery people, they're extremely flakey. Go to the source of your sale, the person you PAID.

jddhammer | 18 december 2018

I'm not a hater, troll, entitled, or a millennial (my kids are though), I'm just a customer.

My experience completely sucked, and not just the almost-understandable changing of car availability and status due to the rush. Most of my issues were avoidable with a better service culture.

I was routinely not-told-the-truth by any my agent-of-the-week(4 of them), my simple requests were rarely returned, my submitted documents were routinely lost (I think as a stalling tactic), my order got unassigned, my car showed up 3 days early with 4 hours notice and I had to take a vacation day to take delivery, and it rolled off in a truck, in a mall parking lot 5 miles from home or the nearest charger with 5 miles of charge on the long range battery. There was no paperwork, walk-through, or promised temporary plates. There was a paper floor mat and "good luck, and you can still push it when it runs out of battery" from a friendly, courteous and genuinely concerned truck driver.

Many of my problems started when I said "home delivery", but it sucked nonetheless. Like any large purchase it should be a much bigger deal for the customer, but Tesla makes you feel like it's harder for them to get you a car than it is for you to give them a huge chunk of change. You can sit on a deposit and stall, but when you cash a $60K check, the bar is raised and you have to step up your game.

The car is very impressive, the service and attitude so far, not so much. Hopefully it gets better with routine service.

Good luck to all and enjoy.

kim.clark003 | 20 december 2018

I am shocked at the poor management at Tesla!!! Poor people at the customer service center had to hold things together for the incompetent management!

The process of ordering the car was simple and easy but after that, every step of the way has been excruciating!
After the order on Oct. 31st, I have not heard anything what so ever until 12/14 telling me that it will be delivered on 12/20 between 10am-12pm. it was impossible to get in contact with people who supposed to help me through the process. The customer service representatives were busy apologizing but nothing changed in terms of contact, providing necessary information, etc. Finally, a representative called me on 12/19 in the afternoon telling me the car will be delivered on 12/20 between 10am-12pm.

I was excited to receive the car, took a day off, as it was a workday, and WAITED!!! Noboday came during the time frame, called the representative and left a voicemail, no callback. At 4pm, I called the 1-888 number and found out that the delivery has been delayed.

I WASTED ALL DAY WAITING, AND NOBODY CALLED ME, TEXT ME, OR EMAIL ME TO LET ME KNOW THAT THE DELIVERY WAS DELAYED!!!! I HAD TO CALL THEM TO FIND THAT OUT. I AM SHOCKED AT THIS LACK OF COURTESY!!!

Tesla may have a good product but needs to get its act together!!! Customer service matters!

Wondering if any other car dealerships would treat me this poorly and stay in business!

hyosunghan | 20 december 2018

My M3 order was scheduled to be delivered on 12/14, and on delivery day they rescheduled to today (12/20). I even called near the end of my delivery window and was assured the delivery will arrive. No explanation or at least a call to say they aren't coming. I'm starting to think they're making artificial delivery dates. It makes no financial sense for me to take delivery in 2019 (EV tax credit). I paid in advance in cash, I'd rather get a chevy bolt this weekend to ensure I get the credit (I cross shopped the two models closely). Does anyone have experience with how much time it takes to get a refund for a cancelled order?

Xerogas | 20 december 2018

This thread is the honeypot for FUD-bots. I swear half of them were written by poorly-implemented AI

Mike UpNorth | 20 december 2018

I'm 50/50 on the "Kim Clark" being a BOT or a worked up weirdo.

hyosunghan | 20 december 2018

I don't see how Kim Clark or myself are spreading FUD. If you can't answer my question about timeframe for refund, at least don't accuse me of being a bot.

Mike UpNorth | 20 december 2018

@hyos

You sure sound bot'ish so my bad.

The Bolt has the $7500 tax rebate through next year at least. So no hurry to purchase before year's end like the TM3. Maybe wait until 1/1/19 before cancelling on the TM3 and buying the Bolt.

Good luck!

mabuck | 20 december 2018

I took delivery in Raleigh. No issue whatsoever, actually it went quicker than anticipated and extremely fast. I showed up an hourly early and was promptly delivered the car. It was 80% charged, all ready to go. Only quirk was a minor paint scratch on the trunk, no biggie. Took pictures and sent it to service for them to address later on.

I had a great experience. Yes they were super busy, but I paid cash so that helped tremendously. I did all the work on the front end like they want you too. I didn't have a car to trade, etc ,etc.

How can Tesla really botch a delivery? Yes the car may have quirks, but I've had 3 deliveries now and although all of them had car flaws, the delivery was fine. Yes on one the car wasn't charged to 100%, but that was no biggie (after requesting it buying a 140k car). They're a new company, so expect some quirks.

danielning | 8 februari 2019

I purchased a MX in December and contract was signed in November. At the time, I told the Sales that I am an existing MS owner and make sure the referral code will be applied so I can get first 6 months free Supercharging. The sales confirmed it will be and completed the ordering for us online.

After several phone calls and over a dozen emails to Referral Program representative, the issue is still there not resolved.

Did anyone else experience similar issues? Any advice as it seems that I am reaching a dead end. Tesla Customer Support said they have had a few similar cases but no power to help resolve it.

Below are some of the replies from Tesla in the last few weeks:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the Tesla Referral Program. I apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.

I have sent this request to the advisor attached to your reservation. This request must be handled by your Owner Advisor or Delivery Advisor. Please follow up with them to ensure your requested code gets added.

Best Regards,
Suzie S | Tesla Referral Program Support
6900 Dumbarton Circle, Fremont, CA 94555
"

Thank you for contacting the Tesla referral program. We apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.

The delivery advisor did reach out to have the referral code added. They made that request on 1/16/2019. I am still waiting for this to have this completed and do not see the changes at this time.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at customersupport@Tesla.com or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

"
Thank you for contacting the Tesla referral program. We apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.

I am still waiting for the referral code to be added to your account. The sales advisor has submitted a case. I can move forward once the referral code is added to the account.
"

"I will not be able to proceed until I receive the time stamped proof from your delivery /sales team that verifies that they tried to add the referral code prior to your delivery. I can’t add a referral code after delivery without the time stamped proof. I will be happy to escalate this to the delivery sales manager.
"
I will not be able to proceed until I receive the time stamped proof from your delivery /sales team that verifies that they tried to add the referral code prior to your delivery. I can’t add a referral code after delivery without the time stamped proof. I will be happy to escalate this to the delivery sales manager."

"Thank you for contacting the Tesla referral program. We apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.

I am sorry that I had to disappoint you and was not able to add the referral code for you. I am not able to add a referral code after delivery without that time stamped proof that we attempted to add the code prior to delivery. I was not able to obtain that for your case. I submitted your case for a peer review to make sure that I did not miss something . My peers concur with my findings. "

"Thank you for contacting the Tesla referral program. We apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.

Ideally you would click the link of the person that was referring you and order through that link. There is the opportunity to add the referral code at the time of order. If that is not done them the sales or delivery should add ir of if they were unable to make a delivery note."

"

I hear that you are telling me that you talked to a customer support agent that told you this should be corrected. However the customer service agents have no training on the referral program and are not authorized to speak in behalf of the referral program. That being said as previously mentioned we will not be adding the referral code because we have no timestamped proof that there was an attempt to add the referral code prior to delivery. "

james | 21 augustus 2019

I reserved my Tesla Model 3 in April 2016.
Earlier this year i was asked to design my Tesla model 3 - which i did (red / long range). Delivery date estimate was June
I was then informed that the Tow Hitch was available and added it as soon as it became available. Delivery Date Estimate was June.

In early June (June 12th) i got a call and emails from your Sales Advisory team about details on the car (registrants etc) which i had done online already.
I spoke to them again in July and at both instances they stated that the delivery will now be July.
Late August i Spoke to the same person and got a not July but definitely in August - as soon as i arrive form my holidays. (Aug 20th).
Before going on holidays i sold my car as i expected the car before the end of August.
Called today (over 90mins hold) and spoke to your team and they told me August is not going to happen and was not able to provide me with date. For the first time i was told the delay is due to the Hitch i ordered (?? This is the first i heard about this, as the design change back in the day provided me with a June delivery estimate. (i have pics of all this).

Sad to see that a great product, such as the model 3, does not have the right customer service and support.

Based on mis information received, i am now car-less, disappointed and angry - an experience which should have been a happy one..

skrichieray | 4 september 2019

My model S did not have the rear Facing Seats as the order described, the Tempe service center, delivery specialist, and salesman all do not have any answers on where or when I get my seats, I bought used from Tesla to avoid this. Please help