Forums

Talk about a bad experience with my M3 delivery, I didn't even get a car.

Talk about a bad experience with my M3 delivery, I didn't even get a car.

I preordered my Model 3 back in May 2016 like most of us here on the forum. I configured towards the end of June, and I received an email about a week and a half ago saying that I would be getting my M3 within two weeks and to pick a date and time for pick up. I choose Saturday Sept. 22, I live about 5 minutes away from the Tesla dealer so that should have been a quick and painless transaction. I immediately put my car for sale and sold it on Tuesday Sept. 18. About 5 days before my expected delivery I emailed and inquired about a Vin #, was told not one was assigned yet, but not to worry that within a day or two I should have that info. Fast forward to Saturday Sept. 22, 9am and I get a phone saying that there was a "pilot program" where buyers would be "matched" with Vin #s of the cars configured BUT that the car I configured wasn't available yet and they did not know when it would be available. I configured a Obs Black, 19", FSD. I was on the phone twice today with Tesla and I tried to explain to them that I didn't have an issue waiting, heck, I've waited 30 months now. The Issue is, I don't have a car to get around on. I was put in a financial hardship, I did everything I was supposed to do. I even ordered my charger, its still in the box in my garage. Tesla management was supposed to get back to me this evening and that didn't happen. Now I'm not sure as what to do? Has this happened to anyone else here? Im not looking for anything for free, just want my M3 or any car as a matter of fact.

natmaster | 24 september 2018

Maybe if you put your whole money down now you can get a loaner for free - as if your car was in for service?

sterickson | 24 september 2018

I would NOT pay for a car you haven't seen yet.

Magic 8 Ball | 24 september 2018

Yeah, I wouldn't pay for a car they haven't seen yet either.

HarryTeslaNJ | 24 september 2018

Im planning on putting about 25k down and financing the rest, I need a Vin # to process the loan. They have no idea well I'll be getting a Vin #.

Im planning on putting about 25k down and financing the rest, I need a Vin # to process the loan. They have no idea well I'll be getting a Vin #.

sterickson | 24 september 2018

In case it wasn't obvious, I meant that *@Valenciaharold* shouldn't pay for a car thy haven't seen yet. :)

I got you bro @sterickson, not sure why my post came out twice. My reply was more towards the first comment, I don't think you're allowed to pay for the car if you don't have a Vin# assigned.

mike1742 | 24 september 2018

I am supposed to pick up this Thursday.
No vin and nobody will respond to me at Tesla via email or text. It’s crazy. I may not show up and see if they call me. No way my car will be there when I am scheduled

dgstan | 24 september 2018

I'm not defending Tesla, because their ability to meet deliveries is horrid. However, if you had been paying attention, you would have known that many deliveries fall through for various reasons. Selling your old car before you got your new one is not Tesla's fault.

coolesnce | 24 september 2018

I can feel your pain. Went through this recently and still going through it.

lbowroom | 24 september 2018

Financial hardship buying a luxury car?

HarryTeslaNJ | 25 september 2018

@gstan, I kind of need the proceeds from the sale of my old vehicle in order to purchase the M3

HarryTeslaNJ | 25 september 2018

@sromoda, yes If I sold my car thinking that I would have a car by saturday. Now I have to figure out if I rent or Uber back and forth. Hence the financial hardship.

CASEMAN | 25 september 2018

@Valenciaharold - I promise I am not judging or trying to be rude - if renting a car for a month is going to create a financial hardship, please reconsider the purchase of a $60,000 vehicle.

CST | 25 september 2018

Some technical criticism:
1. There are no Tesla dealers.
2. You cannot order a charger - the charger is in the car.