Forums

How to be nice to the battery?

How to be nice to the battery?

Most of my trips are local adding up to 5 to 20 miles per day. Then the occasional 30 to 100 mile trips.

I've been unable to find what the best charging plan is. Presently I'm charging to 85% and then recharging when I'm down to 100 miles left, unless I need longer range for a trip.

Is this optimum for battery health? Should I take it down to say 50 miles before routine charging?

All I've found thus far is someone saying I should not store the car with a full charge especially in hot weather.

nelsonah | 4 oktober 2018

BTW: I have a Model 3 LR.

reed_lewis | 4 oktober 2018

The best thing to do is set the maximum charging level to 80% and plug it in every time you can. LI-Ion batteries are not like Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh batteries. They do not suffer memory effects.

ckcland2 | 4 oktober 2018
nelsonah | 4 oktober 2018

Great information, Thanks!

ravisundaramam | 4 oktober 2018

Plug in everyday.

Reboot car when there is a software update. Skip plugging in till the range falls below 100 miles after reboot. Then resume plugging in every day.

Is it the best thing to do? I dont know. But this is what I am doing.

bruce.walker | 6 oktober 2018

Is supercharging harder on your battery?

jordanrichard | 6 oktober 2018

It’s hard on the battery to supercharge when the pack is hot from constant cruising on the highway and then you supercharge when the SOC is low, as in 10% or lower. The way superchargers are spaced out, I rarely get below 20%.

sschaem | 6 oktober 2018

Is there a definitive guideline ?
Elon say top off to 80%, battery expert say 70%.
But what are the numbers used to come to those recommendations ?

For example is 60% even better then 70%? or does it get worse ?

What is the battery sweet spot. ? specially for long term storage .

The other concern is energy loss.

If I set the charge to 80% and dont use the car for a week, how much energy is used to keep it at 80% VS let say 30% ?

Hopefully all this become irrelevant when Tesla offer a battery upgrade program in the future.

I would love in 5 / 10 years from now be able to get a much lighter 120kw battery swap for my model X

Frank99 | 6 oktober 2018

My expectation is that my 75kw battery will still be capable of 80% (60 kw) at 300,000 miles - and I live in Phoenix with an uncooled garage, probably the hardest place in the world for batteries. I have my daily charge limit set to 80%, and I plug it in daily.

For generic LiIon batteries, the closer you stay to 50%, the longer they'll last. But, between 20% and 80%, the differences are minimal. It's likely that Tesla has made enough changes to the battery chemistry that their recommended 90% charging limit is just as safe - sure, charging to 60% daily may make a slight improvement in life statistics but you probably won't notice it in your car.

There's likely no difference in energy loss between 80% storage and 30% storage - LiIon batteries aren't NiCds. About the only discharge that occurs during storage is the power taken by the car electronics - which don't care about the state of charge.

In 5 to 10 years, your car will still have 95% of the range that it has today, pretty much independent of what you do to the battery. Stop worrying and keep grinning.

NKYTA | 6 oktober 2018

Use calm soothing words when you talk to your battery.

Never leave it sitting undriven near 0% or 100% SOC.

So yep to Frank, don’t sweat it too much.

jordanrichard | 8 oktober 2018

There are a lot of opinions, but numbers are facts. As time goes by, we get a feel for what is good for the battery, or what won’t hurt the battery. Where we get this “feel” is from those who have driven the most and look at what their charging habits are. Now, I am certainly not the longest running owner here or the one with the most miles, but I am also not exactly new to this.

I have a Mar. 2014 S85, currently with 128,000 miles, I routinely charge to 90%, rarely get below 20%, use superchargers quite regularly and I have only lost 3.2%. In gasoline terms, that is a loss of less than 1 mile per gallon.

bp | 9 oktober 2018

jordanrichard is right - there are many opinions on charging practice.

First, check the Owners Manual - it recommends plugging the vehicle in whenever you can.

The default charge level is set to 90%. Earlier Owners Manuals recommended charging above 90% only when needed (not sure why this has been removed from the recent manuals).

Keep it simple - as long as you keep the charge between 10-90% most of the time you should be OK. And if you need more than 90%, keep the battery at the high level as short as possible.

With the spacing of the supercharger network, there is less need to go above 90% - in most cases. And overcharging at home before driving to a supercharger really doesn't buy you much, unless the extra charge is needed to strategy the battery a little further to make a supercharger at the edge of the range away from your last charge.

jinglejeff | 9 oktober 2018

Battery drained on Parked Tesla S question. I wasn't able to drive my Tesla for about a week . I noticed, even parked, the car battery goes down about 5 miles per day in range. Example, its fully charged, then unplugged showing 250 miles , the next day 245, then 240 etc. So at the end of the week I have a little over 200 miles showing. Is this normal? Also. I figure it costs about $20 per 100 miles to charge my Tesla at home (Florida rates) kind of like running a heavy duty 220 volt electric clothes dryer. Comments. Thank you my fellow Teslavanians.

Frank99 | 9 oktober 2018

It'd probably be better to start your own thread in the Model S forum rather than trying to take over someone else's in the Model 3 forum, but I'll let you get away with it this time. ;)

If it costs you $20 per 100 miles, get solar panels because they should pay themselves off by sometime next week.
100 miles at 3 miles/kwh should be about 33 kwh. Average US power cost is about $0.13 / kwh, so those 33 kwh should cost you $4.30. In order to cost $20, you'd have to be paying 5 times the average US cost of electricity.

5 miles per day sounds a bit high, but I'm not up on current Model S vampire drain. What year is your Model S?

Frank99 | 9 oktober 2018

Ooops, I guess this is the General forum, so my complaint about posting in the wrong forum was...wrong. Sorry about that.

ronperh | 15 oktober 2018

Instead of being techno nerds, why don't we focus on whats important about battery life/range. Tesla states my car has a 251 mile range and mentions nothing about cutting my charge/mileage range by 10% to 20% to "save the battery" except when they delivered the car to me. I would consider that deceptive and a fraud on all of us. Moreover, I still fully charge the battery in my brand new Tesla S but only actually get 170 or less miles per charge which really demonstrates their fraudulent claim. I believe this fraud is occurring because Tesla deceived the mileage testing system (like VWs) by not turning on either the AC or heater during tests, both of which totally drain the battery much more so than gasoline driven engines. I pity the Tesla owners in Duluth who probable can't get their car out of the driveway in sub-zero temperatures without their heater totally draining their battery. I view this deception as a major issue possibly subject to lemon laws. Does anyone really want to take a long trip and stop every 170 miles for a 90 minute partial charge?? Think about that.

Teslalinked | 16 oktober 2018

ronperh, it's just battery physics. Tesla also doesn't overtly state that mileage decreases when climbing hills. Is this really how you view the world, or are you just trollin?

jordanrichard | 16 oktober 2018

Ummm ronperh, put the crack pipe down.

there is nothing in what you said that is true. One, AC does not put as much of a hit on the range as heat. It is well documented that heat will eat up one's range. Even on Tesla's website they have a page dedicated to letting you change parameters of temperature and AC being on or off, to see what affect it has on range.

My Model S (85) is now 4 1/2 years old and a 100% indicates 258 miles. Can I really go 258, no. However that is not Tesla's fault because even a Honda Accord won't get the stated MPG here in CT due to the terrain, congestion, temperatures, etc.

As for long trips and this supposed 90 min wait for a "partial charge" Again, you are smoking the wrong stuff. I have never waited more than 30-40 minutes. Even then I was not actually "waiting", I was off getting something to eat. I have also driven 200 miles between charges.

Yodrak. | 16 oktober 2018

"... stop every 170 miles for a 90 minute partial charge ..."

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Rocky_H | 16 oktober 2018

I think we have a winner for funniest post of the month. Congratulations, @ronperh. Your extravagant and wrong use of fraud and deceptive five times in your post pushed you over the finish line!

The highlight of it is this for me:
Quote: “I believe this fraud is occurring because Tesla deceived the mileage testing system (like VWs) by not turning on either the AC or heater during tests,”

It’s because of adhering so strictly to the EPA’s testing procedures that they are NOT ALLOWED to run heating or cooling during the range testing. Ha ha!

@ronperh, Plenty of people who have experience know what is going on. I’m at the same age of ownership as @jordanrichard at 4.5 years. I am sorry that you never knew that your previous gas cars were busy constantly wasting two thirds of the energy of the gasoline out the tailpipe and radiator. Electric motors don’t have all that waste heat, so making heat takes electricity. The battery has to supply heat + miles. That’s just science. So yes, that’s a surprise to some people when they first see it, but it’s the nature of reality, not some fraud or deception. And no, the charging times are nothing like that. I did a 5,332 mile trip across the country in February this year, with temperatures into the single digits, and charging times were longer than usual because of that heating energy, but never as long as an hour.

RedShift | 16 oktober 2018

Ask how its day was even though you don’t care.
Take it out to dinner every other weekend.
Most of all listen and don’t interrupt when it’s telling you something.

Now that we’ve covered that, the battery will seem very easy to take care of. Maintain at 20-80% most of the time, drive as soon as possible when charging to 100 to keep damage from accumulating faster in the battery. No sweat, like others have said.

peovino | 16 oktober 2018

Can anyone direct me to articles on Vampire Drain and methods to avoid it as much as possible?

jordanrichard | 17 oktober 2018

peovino, simply put the car into deep sleep. It is called Energy Save mode. Should you enable it, upon entering the car it may take a few seconds for the screens to fire up. Also, be sure to not keep checking in on the car via the app., that wakes the car up.

With all that said, vampire drain in nominal. I lose 1 maybe 2 miles overnight. In 4.5 years I have never utilized this mode, even back when there were only 3 superchargers in all of New England. I wouldn't fret over the loss.