Forums

$500 wall charger faster

$500 wall charger faster

Is the $500 wall charger faster than the included one if you use a 40amp breaker?

slingshot18 | 31 oktober 2018

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector

A wall charger at 40amps you'll get 30mph on the Model 3.

Frank99 | 31 oktober 2018

Not if you use a 40 Amp Breaker. By the NEC, an EV can only be charged at 80% of the electrical circuit rating, so when you install the HPWC and configure it for a 40A circuit, it'll charge at 32A, precisely the same as the UMC that comes with the car.

Rt002k | 31 oktober 2018

The included one will charge at a max of 32A on a NEMA 14-50 outlet, which is the same thing the wall charger will do on a 40A breaker. If you go up to 60A, the wall charger will charge at up to 48A while the included one will still top out at 32A.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector
https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

peldor427 | 31 oktober 2018

@Frank99 - thanks for the info, I wondered why the 60 amps specked for the Model 3 limited it to 48 amps!

roger.klurfeld | 1 november 2018

The charger is in the car, and the maximum rate of charge for the charger is 48 amps AC. Of course DC charges, think superchargers, bypass the onboard charger so they can chage at a much higher rate.You can go from a 50 amp circuit to a 60 amp circuit by changing the breaker, but be sure you have 6 AWG wire in the circuit. Then you can charge at the 48 amp level.

socaldave | 1 november 2018

Wot Rt002k said. That's how my HPWC is configured - running on a 60A breaker, charging at 48A.

donnyb | 1 november 2018

I am getting the wall connector installed. I am 1 amp over at my house so I have to go with a 50 amp breaker.

JAMESLHARWOOD | 1 november 2018

Answer is YES!

If you install your HWPC with atleast a 60amp breaker and settings set to atleast 60amp you will charge the model 3 at 48amps max. That 48amp is the max that the cars internal inverter can do (super charging is not using that inverter) .

If you used the supplied charger (UMC) that comes with the model 3 no matter how many amps the outlet and breaker are rated at the supplied charger can only charge 32amps max. It's limited by that charger or UMC.

Atoms | 1 november 2018

Donnyb - you are 1 A over your house?
Did you actually do a load calculation for your house. These things are not that accurate. Easily fudge 1A.
I’ve checked over several years with my electric provider which does 15min average reports. My peak consumption over 2 years of data is HALF the load calculation.
There is so much margin that it is silly.
Replace two lightbulbs with LEDs and you will have lowered by 1A. Do this for your house and you will reduc the load considerably.

Wormtown Kris | 2 november 2018

We installed the Wall Connector on a 60A circuit, and we get 44 to 45mph when we charge. This is maximizing the Model 3's 48amp max. Of course, the same Wall Connector in a 40A circuit will charge slower. YMMV.

Wattsm309 | 20 maart 2019

Thanks everyone for the clarification

mrburke | 20 maart 2019

The wall adapter can be quicker to plug-in and unplug, depending on whether you take your portable charge adapter with you or not. You don't have to get it out of the trunk, plug it in to the wall outlet and then put it back when you leave. Those couple of minutes everyday add up over time.

ADinM3 | 20 maart 2019

Or you buy a second one for $300 bucks. I considered the wall charger, but I already had a 14-50 outlet in the garage and honestly after a year of use I have never found I had a situation where the incrementally faster charging speed of 48A would have made a difference.

And not to rehash old threads, but unless you have unbundled 6 awg wire in conduit, you really need to be using 4 awg wire for the continuous 48A wall charger, especially if your wire runs through a hot attic. Many people and electricians will say 6awg because they are use to wiring for non-continuous loads. You will probably be fine as there is the some inherent margin in the wire and usage pattern involved, but a 240v 48A draw is no joke. If you are having an install done, spend the extra $20-50 fxor heavier wire.

richmond1508 | 20 maart 2019

Only Model 3’s with a LR battery have a 48 amp on board charger. When used with a wall connector and 60 amp outlet they can charge at 44 miles/hr. The MR, SR/SR+ models only have 32 amp chargers and max out at 30 miles/hr so there is no speed benefit to the wall connector for these models.

NMHousewife1 | 9 februari 2020

Wall connector gen 3: for maximum charging for the fastest speed is a 60AMP & you get up to 44 miles an hour

EVRider | 9 februari 2020

@NMHousewife1: As the previous reply noted, the maximum charging amperage for a Model 3 is 48 amps, which requires a 60 amp circuit. The car doesn’t charge at 60 amps. Some Model 3’s can only charge at 32 amps, which requires a 40 amp circuit.

kevin_rf | 9 februari 2020

ADinM3 , I will make a counter point that the 48a on the LR can be useful. I have more than once arrived home in a low state of charge and knew I would be heading out in a short period of time (we will call that teenagers). Quickly bumping in an extra 20-30 miles while herding cats can make all the difference in the world.

That's not everyday, and not everytime, sometimes the nearby supper chargers and a 5 minute topoff make more sense.

bill | 19 februari 2020

I can't see buying the wall charger for $500. My mobile cord will charge at 32a giving me 30 MPH when using the 6-50 adapter ( the 14-50 wasn't in stock so I got the 6-50 ) and is plugged into a 40 amp outlet. The wall charger will only give me 14 more MPH. Since I charge over night there is no advantage. If I need a quick fill up there is a super charger located about 5 miles from my house that usually has 6 out of 8 slots free.

mrburke | 19 februari 2020

@bill- At least for me, the wall charger is about convenience & safety. I didn’t want my wife plugging into a 240 outlet in wet conditions.

albert123 | 19 februari 2020

I would spend the $500 if the cable were longer that my mobile charger (20 feet). The old wall charger had a 24 foot cable. The new one is only 18 feet. I use my mobile charger with a 6-50 connector and a 50 amp breaker and have never needed more than 6 hours to charge. I rarely unplug the 240V connector but do see the concern about accidentally touching one of the prongs.

Tronguy | 19 februari 2020

My SO and I have the Wall Connector. I agree with those above that state that the difference between charging at 32A with the mobile connector and the 48A we get with the TWC isn't all that much. But it is convenient: It's sitting right there on the garage wall with the cable coiled around it, and it's the work of a moment to lift the connector, push the button on the cable, and plug it in. It's the convenience.
And, for a wall connector that can do 48A, it's cheaper than the competition.

Nakid | 20 februari 2020

Love the wall charger. And for me, the speed to top up a few is worth it. Also, I don't like having the mobile charger dangling from the outlet, nor the constant plugging/unplugging. Now it stays in the lower area in the trunk for when we travel.
Doesn't hurt that I "purchased" the HPWC using Tesla credit.

ODWms | 21 februari 2020

I leave the cable attached to the wall. I’ve been on several road trips and never once seen a need for bringing my own cable.

pjwheeler83 | 21 februari 2020

FWIW if you have an SR+ they are basically identical, you can only get 32A max from the mobile or the HPWC as that's all the battery has the ability to consume.

finman100 | 21 februari 2020

safety? the end that is going into the car is not energized at all until it's fully inserted and the car and the EVSE talk it out to determine "sure, now you can let the electrons fly".

What would be different between the two (a 14-50 outlet versus wall connector)?

And i am assuming the mobile connector is always plugged into said 240 V outlet. that's how i have things set up.

I'm cheap...but it's also just as safe as a wall connector when it comes to "wet".

Maybe i'm missing the point.

mrburke | 21 februari 2020

@finman100 - you’re correct that if you leave the mobile connector plugged in, it is just as safe as the wall connector. The only issue is plugging Ann unplugging from the 14-50.

@finman100 - you’re correct that if you leave the mobile connector plugged in, it is just as safe as the wall connector. The only issue is plugging Ann unplugging from the 14-50.

Double save. I hate that

Big_Ed | 21 februari 2020

When was the last time you saw a news story about someone electrocuted while unplugging their RV from a 14-50 outlet in the rain?

kevin_rf | 22 februari 2020
coselectric | 22 februari 2020

I've left the mobile connector plugged into my NEMA 14-50 for 18 months now, and I have a nice vinyl coated hook under it to coil the cord on. Functionally, it's equivalent to the wall charger for me except for the slightly lower charging rate. Never had the urge to drop $500 so that my car would finish charging every night a half hour to an hour earlier while I'm sleeping. Heck, $500 is almost half of my annual fuel (electricity) spend!

us | 24 februari 2020

We had to run a conduit across our carport anyway so we went for 100amp (just copper) and set the wall charger accordingly. Would have done 60amp but we plan to daisy-chain another when we get another Tesla. But practically, we just wanted the 8ft cord so we don't deal with loops. Have it mounted right next to the port on car with just one loop barely above ground. Step out, grab handle while pushing button and plug in. Barely even think about it. Just do it as we park. Range-wise the charger in the trunk would be more than enough. But it is in an open carport. Was worth it for convenience to mount on wall. TOTAL overkill but it was our first electric and we are never going back. Planning for friends too in case they bring in something that needs more juice than we use ourselves. Wonder how much a Cybertruck can pull.