Forums

PW 2 (new install) - Not receiving power from battery

PW 2 (new install) - Not receiving power from battery

Hello,

We have just had a PW 2 installed along with a 5kw solar system.

The app is showing that during the day the solar is generating around 3kw which is feeding the house, or feeding the mains - but it currently doesn't seem to want to charge the PW. Earlier it was charging and it got up to 86% but for the past couple of hours it is sending most of the power out to the grid (and we aren't on a buy-back tarrif yet so this seems a little pointless).

Also, even though the battery charge has been above 75% for the past 48hrs it hasn't yet actually supplied any power to the house... when there isn't enough/any solar then the power comes from the mains instead of the PW.

Our installer says there it will take a week for the system to "learn" and it won't work as we expect until that time.

Is that true? Will it be a week before we can actually use any power from the battery? And how can to force the surplus power to feed the PW instead of the grid?

Very confused!

Thanks for any advice.

PW2 Owner | 3 november 2018

We are on day 3 and although we are producing quite a bit more solar each day than the house is consuming we are still getting a lot of it from the grid because the battery isn't supplying anything despite being almost fully charged.

And even worse the battery is sometimes being charged from the grid even during times of surplus solar!

Our installer was convinced this was usual behaviour is usual on a new install... I called Tesla support yesterday and they have escalated the issue to their engineers but I haven't heard anything back and when I called today the PW support aren't working as it's a weekend.

It's be quite frustrating as we are generating more than enough solar to power the whole house yet the majority of our power is still coming from grid.

PFP | 3 november 2018

This is quite concerning to me. I just got the permits for the set up yesterday. 15kw Solar + 2 PWs. I have to get it in before the end of the Year to get the rebates. So availability is an issue. Energy Advisor Availability is an issue. (called him yesterday to see about Scheduling and went to VM all day even though he works Fridays).
And now technical issues. Make me wonder if this is gonna be a pain in the ---, just like my car

PW2 Owner | 6 november 2018

Hello PFP,

I still haven't heard back from Tesla support though the system has been working better for the past 2 days so I think they may have logged in remotely and reset something.

It is still sometimes using power from the grid instead of the Powerwall despite there being plenty of charge... it is also sometimes still putting power back into the grid instead of charging the battery.

I'm hoping to hear back from Tesla support soon as I first contacted them 4 days ago.

Tesla-David | 6 november 2018

@PW2 Owner, we had our 2-PW2 installation in June 2018 to complement our 13.2 kWh solar system installed in 2012, and we have been operating our PW2's in self-powered mode with backup set at 10 percent. We have not experienced any of the issues you describe, and we have been self sufficient with zero grid draws from June through October in Edmonds, WA. We are now relying on some grid energy to offset the diminished solar in November, but are still getting a lot of benefit out of our PW2s. FYI the PW2's do NOT send energy back to grid, and can only send energy to your home, so your description of that is not correct. You should probably check back with your installer to make sure everything was installed correctly. We have been absolutely blown away with how well our PW2's have worked to complement our solar system.

PW2 Owner | 12 november 2018

Hello Tesla-David - Thanks for the update... we are nearly 2 months in and still producing more solar than our house is using however more than 50% of our power is coming from the grid despite the battery being constantly charged at around 86%.

We are making some progress though... Tesla have identified it to be an issue with the compatibility of our grid but our installer have been waiting for a while for some information from Tesla about readings he can take to send back to them so that this can be resolved with a firmware update... I hope we get this resolved soon (just in time for the dark winter!).

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "PW2's do NOT send energy back to grid" - when I refer to PW2 I meant the entire system - the system can export power to the grid, that's one of it's features and from what I can work out this is controlled either by PW or by the PW gateway... We are spending a lot of time exporting solar to the grid (and we do not have an export "buy-back" tariff) and then using grid power when the sun is down or when extra is needed during the day.... our battery hardly gets used at all.

PW2 Owner | 12 november 2018

Here are some examples of what is happening. For each of these the PW2 is at about 85%

Daily Summary:
https://www.solarstormdesign.co.uk/pw2/tesla1.jpg

Exporting to grid:
https://www.solarstormdesign.co.uk/pw2/tesla2.jpg

Exporting to grid:
https://www.solarstormdesign.co.uk/pw2/tesla3.jpg

PFP | 12 november 2018

@Tesla-David , I am happy to hear of your good experience. Hopefully I can soon say the same.

@PW2 Owner, That is a very interesting problem. I hope you post the resolution here soon

Tesla-David | 12 november 2018

@PW2 Owner, what you are describing relative to your PW2's is not what I have experienced since our installation on 6/21/18. What is the state of your PW2 battery for the exporting to grid graphic? It should be reading 100 percent in standby mode to have that graphic. I am staring at my Powerflow graphic on app right now, and with 3.3 kWh (solar) generating we are supplying 2.2 kWh to home, and 1.1 kWh to PW2's with no grid draws. My PW2's are charging up from solar. Something very weird is going on with your PW2's IMHO.

Our PW2's are operating as I envisioned, and start charging the battery as soon as the solar meets the home usage requirements in the morning. If you are producing enough solar to satisfy your home usage, which you apparently are, you should not be drawing grid based energy. Even in November here in Edmonds, WA our PW2's are providing most of our energy, although because our solar has diminished, we rely on grid energy to offset the solar deficit. We are only able to charge up our PW2's to 50 - 60 percent this time of year, whereas we were able to charge up our 2-PW2 easily to 100 percent from June through October.

Tesla-David | 12 november 2018

@PW2 Owner, your graphics showing export of solar back to grid, not PW2 energy back to grid. That is what I was saying above, the PW2 energy can only be use to supply energy to the home as presently configured, and not back to grid. When our PW2's are fully charged, then all the excess energy produced from our solar is exported back to grid. This time of the year, because we are not able to fully charge our PW2's our export back to grid is greatly diminished. We produced 2,043 kWh from solar in July, and exported 1,314.8 kWh back to grid. In October our solar has dropped to 740.4 kWh and our grid export was limited to to 124.4 kWh to illustrate my point.

PW2 Owner | 20 november 2018

Thanks Tesla-David,

Yes, my mistake in not explaining correctly.

We are regularly exporting energy to the grid from solar while the battery isn't fully charged. The battery does occasionally receive charge but never goes above around 85% capacity.

This means that, although we are regularly generating more power from solar in a day than we actually use in the house, we are actually drawing 50% (sometimes more) of our power from the grid and supplying the grid with more than we draw.

Tesla are sending out one of their own engineers but they expect this to take a few weeks... Not as smooth an installation process as I had hoped for.

Tesla-David | 20 november 2018

@PW2 Owner, what you describe in demonstratively NOT what I am experiencing with our PW2's. We only draw from grid, when PW2's are drained, and if your PW2's should be charging to 100 percent, if you have excess solar. Something is definitely out of sorts with your installation. Please post and let us know what Tesla-Energy says after they come out and inspect your system. I am sorry you are having issues, and certainly hope they are rectified. I could not be happier with our PW2 performance over past five months.

enssea.algerie | 30 november 2018

your designs indicating fare of sun based back to network, not PW2 vitality back to lattice. That is the thing that I was stating over, the PW2 vitality must be use to supply vitality to the home as by and by designed, and not back to lattice. At the point when our PW2's are completely charged, at that point all the abundance vitality delivered from our sun based is traded back to framework. This time, since we are not ready to completely charge our PW2's our fare back to matrix is significantly lessened.

enssea.algerie | 6 december 2018

your designs indicating fare of sun based back to network, not PW2 vitality back to lattice. That is the thing that I was stating over, the PW2 vitality must be use to supply vitality to the home as by and by designed, and not back to lattice. At the point when our PW2's are completely charged, at that point all the abundance vitality delivered from our sun based is traded back to framework. This time, since we are not ready to completely charge our PW2's our fare back to matrix is significantly lessened.