Forums

Tire Changes - Bounces Consistantly at Multiple Speeds

Tire Changes - Bounces Consistantly at Multiple Speeds

Model 3, dual motor, long range, about 3 weeks old, ~800 miles, 40 degree average temp.

My tesla bounces around a lot. It gets into a rythem leaving my neigborhood every day...ANNOYING. It gets into a bouncing rythem on the interstate at 65mph. It just bounces constantly. It is like riding on a wheeble wobble(sp?).

I have the 19’ wheels, and I have tried the common suggestions.
—lowered tire pressure, but the tire pressure notice is overkill.
—looked at changing to 18" wheels
—looked into replacing the springs, I have no interest in lowering my vehicle, so a lot of the spring kits aren’t for me.
—are the shocks/struts damaged, not sure what it has.
—blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, my real question. What are the ramifications of increasing the tire diameter??? Changing from 235/40-19 to 235/45-19 or even 235/50-19.

-speedometer? I am estimating 3-4% speed increase over reading for the 235/45-19, so ~2mph faster at 50mph reading
-will it rub when turning?
-will it rub wheelwell or other components when springs compressed?
-throw off cruise control, TAC, autosteer?.
-what would tire pressure need to change to? 42 still?
-other thing I don’t know

I am not a ‘car guy’...be gentle
Please stay on subject and be specific.

Respectfully, James

lilbean | 20 november 2018

Were the tires balanced properly?

lilbean | 20 november 2018

I mean wheels.

Bighorn | 20 november 2018

Could be an undulating road interacting with your suspension. Could be an out of balance tire. Would not expect much from changing rim diameters. Speedo can usually be matched with the proper aspect ratio on the tire when you change the rim diameter. Overall wheel dimensions do not change so rubbing is usually not an issue unless you go wider. In looking back, you’re talking about increasing the overall diameter—that’s not done AFAIK. No reason to think that’s a good idea.

MRNot01 | 20 november 2018

My vote would be just something wasn't balanced when the tires were installed. No reason otherwise you should be bouncing consistently.

jimglas | 20 november 2018

Wheels need to be balanced

JPPTM | 20 november 2018

Rebalance--buy also check that the sound deadening foam has not come loose inside.

walnotr | 20 november 2018

One other thing is it could be a defective tire. Check for a bulge on the sidewall, both inside and out. Or it could be as simple as others have said - out of balance. Can you tell what corner of the car it is coming from?

jmda61 | 20 november 2018

Are they factory or aftermarket wheels... I bought aftermarket wheels for winter and found that Tesla left 1 bolt on each brake disc. Removing the small bolt allows new wheels sit flush.

Bighorn | 20 november 2018

@jmda
Do you have the 20” rims? That bolt is supposed to be there and why special rims are required to fit it.

CharleyBC | 20 november 2018

It shouldn't bounce. There's no reason to spend money on different wheels and tires to solve this problem. Most probably you have a wheel out of balance. It might have been fine originally, but you lost a balance weight--it happens. The other thing I've had is a damaged tire (not on my Tesla), where the tire's layers were separating. That made the car bounce badly.

Carl Thompson | 20 november 2018

This actually sounds more like a suspension issue to me rather than a tire issue.

Maybe take it to the service center and have a technician go on a drive with you and see if it feels normal to them...

Thrillion | 20 november 2018

I had one tire's accustic foam come loose in the tire balling up and caused a wheel vibration at high speeds.
This does not sound like vibration at high(ish) speeds.
I doubt its a tire/wheel balance issue.

Find the smoothest flat road you can find and see if you have the bounce.
If you do it would be something with the drivetrain/wheels/brakes.

If it doesn't bounce, I'd have them look at the suspension.

watermanhfl | 21 november 2018

Jdaffer, I have same issue on my AWD Non-P 18" in Rochester NY. Smooth road no problem. Love the car. On some interstates where there are joints every 50 ft? the car does bounce/pitch. It is not out of balance tires and a tire pressure change does not seem to help. I read on one of the forums that one owner has two Model 3's with 18" and another with 19". He said 18" is bouncy, maybe chassis tuning was for the 19". Almost acts like a short wheelbase car. I am way too far from SC to have them look at it. If any other problems arise I will. Trying to drive it only on clear road days now, no salt but I want to drive!!

rxlawdude | 21 november 2018

Funny that in the exhaustive list , OP didn't think of the OBVIOUS: balancing.

Also funny that OP is MIA.

joe322 | 14 januari 2019

I just had my m3 in for service today for this exact same issue. 18" wheels, RWD, VIN 39xxx. On certain roads the car will start "bouncing" in almost a resonating fashion. The vehicle is perfectly fine on most roads but in the right (wrong) conditions the bouncing almost makes me sick. This does not happen with other cars I have driven on these roads.

The technician mentioned that he actually has driven other m3's recently with the same issue. There are no service bulletins for my VIN but I can't imagine this is normal behavior.

Additionally, there are other roads I won't drive on because the bumps hit the car so harshly. The suspension does not absorb larger bumps and causes a noticeable bounce in the vehicle. I am currently running my tires at 42 psi and am considering lowering it to see if that makes a difference. This especially is more noticeable as the weather gets colder, which it definitely does here in MN.

msmith55 | 14 januari 2019

If rebalancing wheels doesn't solve problems, check wheel roundness, could be bad tire or rim! Also be aware that in cold weather , tires may get temporary out of round, but problem will go away when tires are warmed up after 15 minutes drive approximately, depending on temperature. See the Norwegian utube,

msmith55 | 14 januari 2019

If rebalancing wheels doesn't solve problems, check wheel roundness, could be bad tire or rim! Also be aware that in cold weather , tires may get temporary out of round, but problem will go away when tires are warmed up after 15 minutes drive approximately, depending on temperature. See the Norwegian utube,

danielfhorne | 4 december 2019

I have out of round 19 wheels that I paid an extra $2500.00. I didn't figure this out until I went through the original tires and exchanged them for some very nice Continental Extreme Contacts. I noticed the vibration right away and though it was probably just me being picky. Then I got the tires rotated and balanced and the tire tech asked me if I felt any vibration. I said yes, and he called me over to the balancing computer to show me that all of my wheels are out of round: two more seriously than the others, but even the best one is slightly out of round. How does Tesla sell a wheel upgrade to the smoothest car on the road and not give the customer "round wheels?" Who do I need to talk to about this? For the money, I would have purchased forged aftermarket wheels and gotten what I paid for!

Bighorn | 4 december 2019

My out of round wheels came from potholes. They're usually not made that way.

lbowroom | 4 december 2019

"How does Tesla sell a wheel upgrade to the smoothest car on the road and not give the customer "round wheels?" Who do I need to talk to about this?"

19" is $1500 upgrade at time of purchase, not super relevant but lets be accurate.

Any tire mounted to an out of round wheel will result in perception of out of balance, it wouldn't be "revealed" with a new set of nicer tires.

Service is who you'd contact about the issue.

eztider | 4 december 2019

JPPTM +1....I had this condition once when the acoustic foam bunched up inside one tire. Check it out.

Acoustic foam mayThrow a wheel out of balance, it doesn’t make the wheel non round

And his complaint is after switching to nicer tires without foam

Sorry, I’m responding about different user