Forums

Need charging in a big Bear Lake, CA

Need charging in a big Bear Lake, CA

I am a new T3 owner. I came to Big Bear Lake from Pasadena for three days. I have enough charge now to get to Rancho Cucaminga Supercharger tomorrow but misunderstood the Destination Chargers in the area shown when I searched where I thought I could get a brief charge. They are private residences rented to visitors who may use the charger. I did not bring a cord or home adaptor (foolish me!). Are there any Tesla drivers or owners nearby where I could charge 30-40 miles to have a comfortable cushion? My email is rspradling@mac.com. Thanks.

lilbean | 18 december 2018

Is there an RV park you could charge at?

bling | 18 december 2018

You can also try the Chargepoint app, for other charging options. I was also in Big Bear, and was worried about my range coming back. But coming down the mountain, the regenerative braking was enough to give enough cushion to reach Rancho. Navigation will also actually calculate the regenerative braking effect too as it pertains to your range, when you put in the destination.

RES IPSA | 18 december 2018

I would let you charge at my house if I lived there... sorry

Mozart | 18 december 2018

Rv park would require your own cord

007bond | 18 december 2018

Try Plugshare app or online.

OK I looked up Big Bear Lake not much options.

Holloways Marina and RV Park
Jchattdesign's Home Charger
Andrew's Home Charger

Not much else there.

Hey just trying to help you out.

Jchattdesign's Home Charger
Andrew's Home Charger

Both have 48 amp Tesla chargers you could use.

Contact them on Plugshare.

Holloways Marina and RV Park

Has a NEMA 14-50 (50 amp) and TT-30 (30 amp). They are not very familiar with EVs (not at all), so be patient).

398 Edgemoor Road, Big Bear Lake CA 92315

kpjanz | 18 december 2018

We actually have a cabin up there and a Telsa Model 3. We only have 120V so you would have to leave your car for a bit but if we are in town you can come by. Email me at steve@technospeakco.com.

Your best bet is the 48amp Tesla chargers.

33220 Arrowbear Dr, Arrowbear Lake, CA 92382
and
33007 Arrowbear Dr., Arrowbear Lake, CA 92382

Did you at least leave the adaptor in the car there are a few other J1772 a bit further.

Hope this helps you.

Coastal Cruiser. | 18 december 2018

rspradling, if you are checking back, have you accounted for the good regen you will likely get dropping down in elevation from Big Bear to Rancho? You may have a larger buffer than you realize.

rspradling | 18 december 2018

Thanks, everyone. The RV park does charge but you have to have your own cable. Same for a plug on a telephone pole in the parking lot of Snow Summit. I do have the J1772 adaptor. Thanks for the offer, Steve but I think we have enough cushion not counting the benefit I will get with regen braking to get to Racho C. I wil check out Plugshare as well. I really appreciate the community response!

apodbdrs | 19 december 2018

The distance from Big Bear to the TESLA Supercharger at 500 Inland Center Dr, San Bernardino, CA 92408 is 45 miles. The Supercharger already has the connector to your TESLA, in case you didn't already know. Good practice, is always carry your charging cables anytime you are going out.

Elusivejeep | 19 december 2018

you will make it fine. it will charge going down the hill when you leave the mountain.

stockbandit91 | 19 december 2018

My visit to Big Bear, left the city with 155 miles, went down to about 145 heading up towards snow valley and ended up at 165 at the bottom of the hill, traveled 29 miles, and gained 10 miles of range. The estimator in the car does take this into account, it estimated I would use about 40% of my range heading up and only 6% on the return trip from Eastvale (south of the Rancho Chargers on the 15).

jason | 30 december 2018

Hi everyone! I'm the owner of the Jchattdesign charger on plugshare. We're halfway up the hill to Big Bear. Have met some great people as a host. All guests have been grateful and very generous. The wife and I have joked about doing a little snack shack as there's very little to do here.

I hope there are plans for a supercharger or other plugshare participants in the Big Bear area. This time of year, commute times increase about 1-3 hours (all of socal wants to come see the snow). Add in the cold climate, uphill climb and general idle loss (up to 20mi a day); you'll get some range anxiety unless you have a good source to charge.

Evan31 | 30 december 2018

I believe the San Bernardino SuperCharger station is much closer to Big Bear than Rancho Cucamonga

bgold213 | 15 juli 2019

Best course would be to stop in San Bernardino to charge up- and we should be more than ok getting up and using some of the battery during our camping trip, or no? Thanks