Forums

WPA2 Enterprise WifI

WPA2 Enterprise WifI

I would like to be able to have my vehicle connect to my WiFi using a user name and password. Is this possible?

rm760 | 30 december 2018

Believe the WiFi could be more secure

lilbean | 30 december 2018

The security is set up on your wifi.

jerrykham | 30 december 2018

I really doubt many home users / consumers are going to bother with learning how to set up RADIUS servers, patching them, upgrading them, etc. Most current consumer grade equipment won't support connecting to RADIUS for authentication either. As far as on the car side - the manual doesn't seem to say if the software in the car supports it. Nothing in the specs, and as far as connecting it only tells you that you can connect to normal or hidden SSIDs. Nothing about enterprise grade WPA2. Unless others know off the top of their heads or can find it you would just have to try it. But if it isn't there I would not be surprised as this wouldn't be something very many home users would be wanting to set up.

lilbean | 30 december 2018

Pardon my ignorance. I obviously have no idea what this is about. :)

EVRider | 30 december 2018

Like @jerrykham said, you can’t specify a username when connecting from the car. Is your home WiFi already configured to require usernames? If not, the Tesla isn’t a reason to make changes.

Tesla2018 | 30 december 2018

At work we have free wifi but you have to enter something saying you agree to abide by some terms. This is when I did it on a smartphone and there is no wifi password.

I tried it on the car and it didnt work. The head of IT said it doesnt work on Teslas and looked at some Tesla forums and said I might be able to bring up the authorization screen by typing something into the browser and clicking enter. Only thing is, I cant get a browser screen open since it cant find anything to connect to.

Anyone having a similar problem and found a way of getting around it?

EVRider | 30 december 2018

@Tesla2018: When you did it using your smartphone, was it a web page where you had to agree to terms or something else? If it was a web page, note the URL and try entering that -- if the car can connect to the WiFi you should be able to get to the same page.

jerrykham | 31 december 2018

@Tesla2018 - that type of setup is called a "captive portal" and is the same thing that is used in places like hotels where you at least have to agree to the TOS (and possibly provide payment depending on the setup). I'm pretty sure that it will not work with a Tesla even if you were able to get the browser to open. The reason is that a captive portal does not let you access any "real" internet resources until you accept the TOS. You would normally see (like from a phone or a PC) that you get redirected to the portal TOS site no matter what URL you try to go to. However, Tesla sets up a VPN with Tesla's servers on connect. That VPN will fail because the captive portal isn't allowing you to connect to it. With a failed VPN connection I do not believe the Tesla browser will ever let you even try to browse to get to the TOS page. You basically have a catch-22.