Forums

Car driven by personnel while at Service Center

Car driven by personnel while at Service Center

Took my Model 3 in for repairs, which has resulted in it being kept for a few days while I drive a loaner. Tonight I looked at my Tesla app to check how much battery is drained over night while at service center 10 miles away. To my astonishment my car was parked at the residential address a mile away from my home. Since it was so close I took a short drive to check on it, and sure enough my car was there at 9:30pm.

Is this standard practice, for Tesla employees to drive customer vehicles home overnight? I find this very strange. I really do not find it acceptable that someone else is driving my car.

EVRider | 4 februari 2019

Definitely not standard practice, and I hope you intend to ask about it and let us know what they tell you.

coleAK | 4 februari 2019

What was the issue? Was it something they would have to drive the car to figure out if it was repaired? Was it an issue you were having overnight? If so it could be reasonable.

coleAK | 4 februari 2019

What was the issue? Was it something they would have to drive the car to figure out if it was repaired? Was it an issue you were having overnight? If so it could be reasonable.

lbowroom | 4 februari 2019

When my car is in service, the first thing they do is disable mobile access thus killing my ability to track it. What state are you in?

jesus | 4 februari 2019

Oh My Dad

CST | 4 februari 2019

When I was younger, I worked for a reputable SAAB mechanic. He took cars home if he felt that extra drive time was needed to diagnose an issue. That said, I wouldn't want my car parked in front of someone's home - maybe in the garage...

carlk | 4 februari 2019

The standard procedure is to put the car in the service mode and you will not be able to access the car from you phone including tracking its location.

yudansha™ | 4 februari 2019

I've been getting Autopilot features limited error for a while. They think they finally identified the correct problem (something with the computer) and are expecting the part to arrive tomorrow, so there is no need to test drive my car. They usually disable mobile access but forgot this time. I'm in FL.

Why didn't you knock on the door and ask why your car is there?

@lbowroom
FL is 'stand your ground' state and you never know who is behind the door; plus it is an apartment building and I am not comfortable knocking on every door at 9 pm. I took a few pictures and sent a message to SC. But knowing that somebody sat in my seat for a long time doing who knows what and left the paperwork with my personal info in the middle of the car makes me cringe.

badaman | 4 februari 2019

I would definitely driven the car back home and go to SC in the morning to ask for an explanation. No one should have driven the car without your permission.

lilbean | 4 februari 2019

Great idea, @badaman!

@badaman
I was thinking of driving the car home or moving it somewhere else, but decided it might cause more problems. Very upsetting Tesla would do something like that considering how many times my car was in SC.

diegoPasadena | 4 februari 2019

That - unless explained with a *very* compelling reason - should be a fireable offense. It is a completely unacceptable breach of trust.

None of this is making much sense to me, hope you get satisfaction.

I feel violated, and wanna punch somebody.

I'll remember not to knock on your door

badaman | 4 februari 2019

We all feel your pain @tanya. Hope you get some answers. I am getting my pedal and steering wheel vibration check this week. I won't leave it over night for any reasons.

@lbowroom Lol

The_Flash | 4 februari 2019

Agreed with others. This is absolutely unacceptable.
Under no circumstances is an employee allowed to take a customer’s car home, let alone overnight. It creates a huge liability issue for Tesla.
I am sure once you escalate this with them, they’ll look into it and take appropriate action.

I’m surprised they didn’t disable mobile access. I think I would have taken my car. Shame!

Bighorn | 4 februari 2019

If they’re looking to fix issues that require driving like a noise or leaky window, it wouldn’t be unexpected.

So is it true, our cars are used as loaners?

ST70 | 4 februari 2019

go get your car now!

rysmith1782 | 4 februari 2019

TESLATUNITY on YOUTUBE documented this exact thing. The service center told him a service member would be driving his car home overnight for "autopilot issues"... He just posted the video a few days ago.

Tesla told him that it is standard practice... Thats crazy to me.

kaffine | 4 februari 2019

sethbola

When I was a mechanic it wasn't unheard of to request permission from a customer for the mechanic to use the car for a few days when trying to solve an intermittent problem. Customer was always asked and had to approve before it was done. I had to do this a few times on strange problems. Essentially the customer was giving me use of his car to have me monitor it off the clock on my own time. If they said no then it they had to pay my hourly rate to drive it during business hours on the clock not sure how it would have worked if it was under warranty.

Now we did have an issue of mechanics taking cars to lunch during test drives. The customer was not asked or notified typically they found out because the mechanic riding shotgun would forget to put seat and floor protectors on and leave grease stains. While the service manager would complain about it during meetings he wasn't trying to stop it he was trying to get them to cover their tracks better. I didn't agree with this practice and never did it myself.

Them taking it home without asking before hand is not acceptable though.

4barkie | 4 februari 2019

I would take the car and let whatever asshole that was driving it panic in the morning when it's gone. I would then go to the service center in the morning and let them panic when they can't find the car. After that fun I would have a very one sided discussion with the service manager and his manager.

Yep. That’s why I love ranger service. The car doesn’t leave my sight.

surfpearl | 4 februari 2019

So the AP missed your house by a mile? That's a faulty AP, I agree :) If the car doesn't drive itself back to the SC in the morning, I would definitely talk to a lawyer.
On a related note, any lawyer here that can suggest or draft an MOU or a contract for us to take to SC and have it signed when we leave a car overnight to make sure things like this don't happen? Make them agree to enable mobile access after hours so the owner can keep an eye.

yudansha™ | 5 februari 2019

@surfpearl Lol

He claims he was so busy he forgot to ask me if it is ok to test drive my car overnight. "I accept full responsibility". What should I do now?
I think I more upset they left paperwork in the car with all my info for anybody to see and did not cover the driver's seat.

Bighorn | 5 februari 2019

Move on to things that matter, unless this is your biggest struggle in life.

gmr6415 | 5 februari 2019

The M3 obviously doesn't have an OBD port, but most of the higher end scanners can do what's called a snap shot. The diagnostic equipment constantly records data and can be programed to be triggered after a particular even. Once triggered the data will be saved from X number of seconds prior to the event and X number of seconds after the event. That data is then looked at to try and help diagnose the issue.

Having your vehicle driven for certain complaints can be 100% necessary. I'm pretty sure the diagnostic mode on the M3 is accessed through the touchscreen. I don't think Tesla wants to activate the touchscreen in diagnostic mode and hand the car back to the customer until the complaint recurs. Generally speaking when in diagnostic mode modifications to the vehicles computer system can be made too. That could be disastrous for Tesla to allow a customer into that system.

Even though @tanya stated the issue had been diagnosed and the part was on order the SC may have been looking for further confirmation that they had truly found the problem. Intermittent computer related problems can be very difficult to diagnose and repair, and they may have been trying to assure that they had really found the problem. Service Centers for any manufacturer don't like "come backs".

How many people have come here to complain about the Tesla SC having their cars for a number of times and the problem isn't resolved? It sounds like the SC is trying to prevent that from happening.

apodbdrs | 5 februari 2019

He should not have driven your car their home overnight without your permission! Write a complaint and relate your experience to the person's manager and above. If you can, also send it to TESLA's customer service. If he accepts responsibility, this action on your part should not bother him.

Magic 8 Ball | 5 februari 2019

What is the big deal? Are they breaking any laws?

jordanrichard | 5 februari 2019

OP, it would help if we knew what your car was in service for. As others have pointed, there may very well be a valid reason.

jamespompi | 5 februari 2019

If I had a hard to nail down or unexplained issue I wouldn't have a problem with the car being taken overnight, its not like these guys are joy riding or picking up a hot date, they drive these cars everyday. That being said, i'm over an hour from my SC so if I noticed it at someones residence without me knowing I probably would've freaked out thinking it was stolen. Was this the Eatonville location?

Bighorn | 5 februari 2019

If you want to make what is normally a very collaborative relationship with service an adversarial one, go for it. You think they chose a Model 3 for a joy ride when Performance Ses are a dime a dozen there? This ain’t a #metoo moment. Move on.

@apodbdrs, For more than 2 decades I was a technician for Detroit Diesel - Allison. In the mid to late 1980s as onboard computers were being introduced into vehicles there were times when intermittent computer issues would take a lot of driving to duplicate.

For example, I was working on a foam truck used at Dulles Airport. It was used to spray a runway with foam in case of an emergency landing. I remember they had named it Mr. Bubbles.

It would intermittently backfire and momentarily shut down making it undependable. It had been in our shop many times and we never could duplicate the issue. In the end I had to drive that truck daily for a good week, and I was driving it back and forth to work. Theoretically making the operational circumstances intermittent can make it more likely to duplicate an intermittent problem.

It ended up being a PROM or what most people refer to as "the chip" programming error that was causing an electronic fuel injector to discharge at an inappropriate time under certain conditions. In those days we had to hook up a laptop through a dial up modem to the Detroit Diesel factory and download new code for the PROM, then install a newly programed PROM into the onboard computer.

yudansha™ | 5 februari 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
I believe it is unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. However, I am not the kind of person to do some harm to somebody's livelihood. If they didn't do anything wrong why would they be calling/messaging apologizing?

@Bighorn
Do you ever read what you type? What are you talking about with your "go for it"? How do you know what I think? What does my experience have anything to do with #metoo? Why #metoo?

neylus | 5 februari 2019

I'll add that while the optics of it isn't pretty, at least it was parked at a residence and not a shopping mall. That sole element would give me confidence that there were no bad intentions on their part.

@tanya, I believe you are wrong. You authorize them to do whatever they need to do to fix your car. A throw away apology is often the best way to quiet people with a nothingburger beef.

@tanya, Unfortunately what will most likely happen here is the the technicians will get a severe schooling on making sure all cars are put into service mode first and foremost, and that will be the end of if from their end.

I know working on trucks and heavy equipment, as I did, isn't the same as cars, but we assumed from the time a vehicle was dropped off that we had permission to drive the vehicle as needed to diagnose the issue. In over 20 years of my time there we never asked any individual for permission. We considered it a given.

badaman | 5 februari 2019

Come on guys...be a little sensitive. It is an invasion of privacy! How would you guys feel if you have a roofer working on your roof but when inside your house looking for water to drinks without your permission.

@tanya, and any technician worth his-her salt is going to thoroughly test drive a vehicle after the repair to make sure the fix worked. Generally speaking the harder it was to diagnose the issue, the longer the test drive will be.

Invasion of privacy? Thanks for the laugh.

@badaman, that's oranges and apples. If they can't see the issue using diagnostics with the vehicle sitting in the shop, they have no alternative but to drive it. Is taking it home overnight unusual? Yes, but sometimes you need to put the vehicle through different circumstances and situations to duplicate the problem.

I can guarantee you if you were to take your car to a service center with an AP complaint (drivability complaint) and tell them they weren't allowed to drive it, they would tell you good by real quick.

It's not your property so its easy to laugh about it @8 Ball.

Service people driving cars is SOP, so how is taking the car to a particular destination invasion of privacy?

@gmr6415 - I totally agreed with your point but they could easily test drive it during working hrs. And definitely not overnight without customer knowing about it. They could have waited another day and let the customer know first.

@8ball - The point here is @tanya did not know about it.

Pages