Forums

Car driven by personnel while at Service Center

Car driven by personnel while at Service Center

Took my Model 3 in for repairs, which has resulted in it being kept for a few days while I drive a loaner. Tonight I looked at my Tesla app to check how much battery is drained over night while at service center 10 miles away. To my astonishment my car was parked at the residential address a mile away from my home. Since it was so close I took a short drive to check on it, and sure enough my car was there at 9:30pm.

Is this standard practice, for Tesla employees to drive customer vehicles home overnight? I find this very strange. I really do not find it acceptable that someone else is driving my car.

calpilot7 | 5 februari 2019

Tool alert ......whoop whoop ....tool alert.

yudansha™ | 5 februari 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
Soiled underwear?! This is gross. SC driver was not willing to touch it either. So, apparently, you are very different from most of us.

andy.connor.e | 5 februari 2019

With 5G coming out, Tin foil hats might be a good idea. I'll take one, and one for the aliens.

Sam_S | 5 februari 2019

Service center has to drive the car for two reasons. Discover the problem or confirmed it’s fixed.

So I wouldn’t assume it’s abnormal.

However, I had an employee pick up my car for service a few years ago and he immediately disabled mobile access for the 40 mile drive to the service center.

I called the SC and asked if this was normal. They said absolutely not. When the car was returned a couple days later, mobile access was on the entire trip and it was returned by a different employee.

Magic 8 Ball | 5 februari 2019

@tanya Thanks, it is no fun being the same as everyone else.

Bighorn | 5 februari 2019

Pilots really should wear tin foil hats, flying so close to the unfiltered rays an' all, but sadly they don't.

@stevenmaifert
I read the fine print. "may operate my vehicle or transport it to another Tesla service location for the purpose of repair..." Nothing about driving to somebody's residence. All I wanted is advanced notice, like they gave me today.

M3phan | 5 februari 2019

@tanya: for what it’s worth, I would feel as you did if I wasn’t asked and discovered such a thing. I have found our local SCs and their staff to be incredible folks so I wouldn’t burn any bridges looking for an explanation. But I WOULD want an explanation.

LostInTx | 5 februari 2019

Tanya, I recommend you walk away from this thread. Your initial concern is perfectly legitimate, IMHO, most people here agree with you but some, unabashed Tesla apologists, will continue to needle you into a froth, which is exactly their intent.

As Shaw said, never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

You've identified the pigs in this thread; the same pigs soiling most threads.

lbowroom | 5 februari 2019

OMG, they know they're supposed to ask, they forgot. That's why they apologized. It's over. Did the world end? Was anyone harmed? prescription law dude. I've never heard an actual lawyer prattle on so much about law.

gmr6415 | 5 februari 2019

@calpilot7, "I’d be extremely pissed having my car leave the premises without my knowledge or consent."

As someone who was a heavy duty mechanic for over 20 years often test driving $1mil+ custom tour buses owned by the likes of the Charlie Daniels Band, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Willy Nelson, Dolly Parton, the Moody Blues, etc, etc. - heavy duty mining equipment worth 10s of millions, Fire apparatus worth millions, I can tell you, you give consent for the facility/technician to drive the vehicle off the property when you give them the authority to service the vehicle. It's a given.

gmr6415 | 5 februari 2019

The fact is that had the technician put the car in service mode, the same would have happened, tanya would have never known, no harm would be done, and this thread wouldn't exist.

Just stick your head out the window and say: "I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore"

Joshan | 5 februari 2019

thats pretty much all posting here is doing. Tesla does not moderate these forums/ If you are lookling for advice it is a good place to come. If you are just wanting to vent, it really is not your best avenue. You should use the customer feedback option on the main web page.

@gmr6415
Very impressive. I wish I were as successful as you. Unfortunately, I belong to that group of majority consisting of people with average intelligence, skills and luck. So we have to rely on others for guidance in life (like this forum where we are not restricted to posting only praises to god-like humans).

diegoPasadena | 5 februari 2019

Wow - how did this get off the rails between Bighorn and tanya? tanya: Bighorn is a good guy, long-time contributor to this forum and I only remember reasonable posts from him. And Tanya's concern seems totally relatable, so I can't see him dismissing it willy nilly. Something must have been lost in "translation" - remember : Tone doesn't translate well on a forum. Make up already, guys.

charles.a.braun | 5 februari 2019

tanya | February 5, 2019
@Magic 8 Ball
Soiled underwear?! This is gross. SC driver was not willing to touch it either. So, apparently, you are very different from most of us.

@Tanya, M8B lives in the bay area and probably spends his entire day touching soiled items. Human feces is pretty much unavoidable in that #shithole

@charles LoL, I live in a trash pile, horrible, just horrible. When are you leaving Hotel California? Maybe I am wrong but I thought most people have had their faces in funny places, at least once?

lilbean | 5 februari 2019

I think it’s an incredibly bad idea and irresponsible to take a customer’s car home over night. What if the employee’s teenage son decided to take it for a joyride? What if the car got broken into? Any necessary testing can be done during business hours at the service center.

kcheng | 5 februari 2019

"tanya | February 4, 2019
I've been getting Autopilot features limited error for a while. They think they finally identified the correct problem (something with the computer) and are expecting the part to arrive tomorrow, so there is no need to test drive my car."

But you said they needed a part that was coming "tomorrow", so why was the tech driving it the night before? And, taking a car without permission is a liability issue for Tesla. If he's ready to take full responsibility, let his manager know, so he gets to take full responsibility. Plus, it's a ridiculous excuse that he was "too busy" to call?!? I mean, your number is probably right on that paperwork on the front seat. He could have called you anytime. I'd just let the manager know how you felt.

As an aside, I had a dash cam in my Volt, and it had to have the passenger doors replaced as a deer ran into me broadside. Every time the tech turned on the car to move it, my dash cam turned on, so I later got to watch them take it to a Chevy dealer to get the airbag sensors in the door reset. And also drive it into the paint room. Was odd seeing the car's location change around when they parked it at night.

That’s another thing. Tesla unplugs the dashcam so when they take the car out, footage won’t be recorded.

kcheng | 5 februari 2019

"stevenmaifert | February 5, 2019
"You agree that: Tesla and its employees may access and operate your vehicle for the sole purpose"

"sole purpose", that's key. Leaving a customer's car parked at their apartment overnight does not sound like a "sole purpose", but one of convenience for the tech.

kcheng | 5 februari 2019

@tanya, ignore the rude comments. He's notorious for siding with Tesla over customers on everything. Yeah, it's weird.

@diego
I learned years ago that this was common practice as it happened to me. I just texted the service guy that night and he let me know they were working on addressing NVH issues. I tried to assuage the OP’s fears, but it escalated into obstinance and pugilistic rage rather than a cooling down and waiting a couple hours to get a service update. When folks double down on their ignorance, I tend to resort to other means of communication. You’ll note my first response is entirely civil. After that, a struggle to defeat indignorance, which you know is a pet peeve.

kcheng | 5 februari 2019

“lilbean | February 5, 2019
That’s another thing. Tesla unplugs the dashcam so when they take the car out, footage won’t be recorded.”
Shoulda got the model with the backup battery built into the plug.

jim | 5 februari 2019

@tanya. I don't blame you for being upset about this. I wouldn't be happy if some from the SC took my car home over night.

I agree with what M3phan and others have said about burning bridges. I would certainly let them know this was an upsetting incident, but I would also suggest tempering what I say so that you don't end up ticking off the the people that will be fixing and maintaining your car going forward.

Tesla2018 | 5 februari 2019

I went to the service center to see if I could drop the car off the night before since other car dealers I used before had a box you could drop your keys off in. When the Tesla service person asked what I was bringing it on for, I said that it had wind noise near the mirrors and a rattle on the front right dash. These seem like common problems that are fixed by tightning the vin plate and replacing the part of the mirror housing that is sticking out. However they told me I couldnt drop it off since they needed me to be in the car with them when they were testing it. However they said if I wanted to wait they could see if someone could take the car out with me in it in a few minutes. I declined since they were busy and I didnt have time.
So it looks like in some cases they need to duplicate the problem with the person in the car. Since Tanyas issue was a thing that wasnt subjective, they could see the problem with it not having autopilot work. In my case, they might not hear something that I did or know when the car made the noise that I was describing.

I always write down my mileage when I drop off a car. If it has less than 10 extra miles, I am ok with it. However a coworker had a friend who was the service manager at a local GM dealership. He once gave my friend a customers car to use for the weekend to go on a trip 75 miles away. I thought that was strange but he said the owner of the car was old and wouldnt notice that it had an extra 150 miles on it. Luckily he didnt get onto an accident since then the dealership would really be in trouble for letting its employees letting their freinds use customer cars for joyrides.

@kcheng That's not how it works. The cameras have a backup battery but Tesla disconnects the plug to the camera so that it won't record.

I apologize to anybody I inadvertently offended here.
All I did is 1) sent a message to SC advisor with the picture of my car parked in a residential neighborhood and asked who authorized driving it, and why my personal info was on display. 2) He apologized and explained the situation. I was ok with his explanation. 3) His manager called and apologized. I moved on, though my car is not in my possession yet.
I posted here so people are aware this might happen. Not sure why my responses to some questions/clarifications/complaints have been taken offence. Must be my accent.

lbowroom | 5 februari 2019

People overreact and take it to a level that's unwarranted, stretching words beyond the scope

calpilot7 | 5 februari 2019

Test drive is one thing....leaving the premises with a customers car and parking it in an unsecured residential area is not acceptable. I wonder how many folks posting here are NOT even Tesla owners. The 8ballsdeep character sounds like a whacko kid.

badaman | 5 februari 2019

Thanks for sharing your experience @Tanya. Hopefully we all can help make Tesla a better company.

efuseakay | 5 februari 2019

Tanya. You’re absolutely justified being so pissed off about this. They should have informed you. Ignore the 8 ball troll and the rest of the cult.

@cal
2 Teslas, 255,000 miles and at least 8 different service center visits throughout the US and Canada. I haven’t met a tech or ranger I wouldn’t welcome to take one of my cars overnight. It’s not as though cars are secured at a service center lot. In many cases, a residential home would be safer than the sites I’ve visited. The one in Denver abuts a homeless encampment. But to each their own.

yudansha™ | 6 februari 2019

@Bighorn
I do applaud Tesla's cordial and friendly staff. That's exactly why I'm not pissed off. But that does not fix the car or change the facts.

terminator9 | 6 februari 2019

Normal practice or not, this is weird.

It's the same as if you say "the car has an issue if all four people are sitting in it". An employee with 4 family members taking the car out to movies to "test" it would be weird than 4 tesla employees driving in it during business hours.

Magic 8 Ball | 6 februari 2019

This thread went off the rails silly, for me, when @tanya said: " But knowing that somebody sat in my seat for a long time doing who knows what".........and then came back with......... "I feel violated and want to punch somebody"

This is abnormal behavior. A vivid imagination with violent "wants" is the behavior that flags @tanya as an idiot. I seriously doubt that the story, as told, is true. The story is full of exaggeration and hyperbole.

derotam | 6 februari 2019

@tanya, you did not just "I posted here so people are aware this might happen". You added "I really do not find it acceptable that someone else is driving my car" to your initial post. That statement inflamed everything that followed. And then everything went off the rails.

Welcome to the forums, where you will be eviscerated for everything you do and do not say!

calvin940 | 6 februari 2019

I think people have gotten wildly off track here and some need to take their heads out of their ass.

As the owner, you bring your vehicle in for service. There is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle will be mobile at various points depending upon the nature of the service, however, that mobility/use must be within the parameters of the service.

Using the vehicle in any capacity other that of which is required for diagnosis and/or repair is outside of the scope of acceptable use. Furthermore, there are insurance ramifications and possible exposure to damage scenarios that your car should not have been reasonably expected to be put in during the course of service. Parking at an apartment complex would subject the vehicle to possible accidents, vandalism etc.

An appropriate response to that is NOT "well Tesla's insurance would have covered it". Personally, I don't care even if that were true (but questionable since the vehicle did not meet reasonable service), I don't want my car subjected to possible damage scenarios given it had nothing to do with the service. Period. Why should I have to go through all that at all? The answer is I should not.

Now I don't think this is a Tesla corporate issue/policy/lapse, but rather a local service center or even employee issue, but something that needs to be addressed regardless.

People that want to punch people for a trivial, non-violent, violation are INSANE!

andy.connor.e | 6 februari 2019

The fact that there was no damage to the vehicle makes people think "it doesnt matter". Well if there was damage to it, it would be an absolute outrage. Just because nothing bad happened doesnt make it ok.

calvin940 | 6 februari 2019

+1 andy.connor.e

The fact is that something happened that shouldn't have. The owner/customer is rightly upset about it. The SC needs to address the owner's concern, acknowledge that this shouldn't have happened and ensure won't happen in the future. Full stop.

If i found out that a service center was driving my car home to the employees house, i would be breaking his front door down for my keys back.

lbowroom | 6 februari 2019

Keys?

Wow! Such bravado, breaking doors down. The outrage expressed over this is amazing.

Im pissed!

@Magic 8 Ball
Your ad hominem attacks fall flat. You are so brave behind a username.

@tanya You are not credible.

@Magic 8 Ball
At least I don't hide my real name, so feel free to call SC and verify the info I posted.

Pages