Forums

Registration Fees: Arizona Proposing to repeal discounts

Registration Fees: Arizona Proposing to repeal discounts

Good afternoon,

In Arizona we have a push to remove the discounted registration Alt Fuel and EVs have in the state. Suddenly, Tesla numbers are up and we now need 'Parity' of registration fees. Our roads need repair, ways to increase revenue for this fund are being proposed. Those Alt Fuel and EVs are using the roads for free, this has to change, according to bill supporters. They do forget that over the past several years dollars have been diverted from this fund to cover state police budget short fall but I digress.

I am curious if other states have faced this and what did you do to remind them that environmental impact from zero emissions warrants a discount. I believe we agree we should pay our fair share but should it be the same as ICE vehicles? Some in AZ even wish it to be more in the way of registration fee parity and an annual fee in lieu of the fuel tax.

Thanks,

Pat

pat | 16 februari 2019

Good afternoon,

In Arizona we have a push to remove the discounted registration Alt Fuel and EVs have in the state. Suddenly, Tesla numbers are up and we now need 'Parity' of registration fees. Our roads need repair, ways to increase revenue for this fund are being proposed. Those Alt Fuel and EVs are using the roads for free, this has to change, according to bill supporters. They do forget that over the past several years dollars have been diverted from this fund to cover state police budget short fall but I digress.

I am curious if other states have faced this and what did you do to remind them that environmental impact from zero emissions warrants a discount. I believe we agree we should pay our fair share but should it be the same as ICE vehicles? Some in AZ even wish it to be more in the way of registration fee parity and an annual fee in lieu of the fuel tax.

Thanks,

Pat

SO | 17 februari 2019

In Michigan, I may more in registration fees because of not paying gas taxes.

We’re also not allowed Tesla service or sales centers.

jerrykham | 18 februari 2019

Many states have instituted additional registration fees for EVs for the same reasoning. From what I have seen it ranges from $50 to around $300. Even California did it, but it starts in 2020 and existing cars are grandfathered in to the existing rate.

I do believe we should be paying for a share of road repairs. For example the main street outside of my housing development is an absolute embarrassment - so many potholes you have a hard time finding the road. This is a 4 lane (2 each way) street that runs in front of businesses on one side and houses / apartments on the other - it is not in the boonies. Sometimes my wife and I try to avoid all the holes, but you actually can't avoid all of them and it calls up that scene from Galaxy Quest: "can you try not to hit every last one!?"

Anyway, it seems that having some sort of fee to make up lost taxes (for example in CA the part of the gas tax that is "supposed" to go to roads - I say supposed to because it gets diverted too like your example) would be good. While they are at it, they can increase the fees on ICE cars to make up for the pollution...