Forums

Best product to use on Cremaic coated car

Best product to use on Cremaic coated car

Please recommend what to use to wash your ceramic coated M3. Both waterless and water wash. Thanks.

lilbean | 17 februari 2019

Optimum no rinse

coleAK | 17 februari 2019

^^^ another vote for Optimum no rinse. My detail guy that did the ceramic pro gold on our cars recommended it. I’ve been using it for over 2 years on my LX and 6months on the 3. Works well and is easy.

Itrnhds | 18 februari 2019

I been using optimum rinse for 6 months too, really enjoy it

richardls | 19 februari 2019

Chemical Guys MIC_493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt

richardls | 19 februari 2019

My understand is the most important issue is that the soap be PH neutral and that you use microfiber (not chamois).

Personally, I use the following (all available on Amazon):
VIVREAL Foam Gun (if you don't have a pressure cleaner, this allows for similar functionality - but if you have or a are willing to get a pressure washer better off getting foam cannon for it) (comes with a glove, but I like the one I mention below better.)
Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleanser (use 2 oz and 1 oz of water in gun to soap car and mitt).
Chemical Guys MIC_493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt
KinHwa Microfiber Car Drying Towels Super Absorbent Large Car Wash Towels Scratch Free Car Cleaning Towels Ultra Soft Auto Detailing Towels

cmirandabu | 19 februari 2019

Can I use Optimum No Rinse in snowy weather with salt all over the car?

Pierogi | 22 februari 2019

I would not use ONR when your car is coated in winter road treatment chemicals. I live in Colorado and purchased the Rinseless wash by Adams Polishes to use in the winter when it’s too cold to connect the hose and I find in the winter my car gets too dirty use rinseless w/o risk of scratching the paint. I hear the Adams Rinseless wash has more lubricity than ONR but if you live where it snows then the rinseless wash products are more for summer use.

However I really like using the Adam’s Polishes waterless wash spray if there is a light dusting in the car and I don’t have access to water or I don’t want to fill up a bucket for a rinseless wash. I’ve actually washed my entire car with the waterless wash spray and it looked fantastic.

texxx | 22 februari 2019

ONR with two gallons of distilled water and a lot of microfiber towels. Works great!

dsvick | 22 februari 2019

So, what does everyone use in the winter if you can't use your hose when you've got salt and other crud all over the car? Laser wash to get most off then a detailed wash at home? Cart buckets of water from inside the house out to the garage?

I will use a pay and spray car wash to get the major crud off but not touch the car with the brush, wash mitt, or a towel. Then I’ll wait for it to get above freezing and wash at home with the hose and 2 bucket system.

If it’s going to stay cold for too long and the car is trashed I’d take a bucket of warm water with soap and a wash mitt to the pay and spray.

kbmi777 | 22 februari 2019

Has anyone done DIY ceramic coating on M3? If yes, please share your experience and products you used.

AWDTesla | 22 februari 2019

ONR is perfect for winter washes and getting rid of the salt on your car

@kbmi777, I've done a couple. Used optimum gloss coat, cquartz UK and tevo bodyguard s60

I'll be using tevo 5 year glass coating on mine.

Brian B | 22 februari 2019

@Pierogi how do you prevent the warm water from spilling as you drive?

@AWDTesla - Thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing prep steps you did before applying these products? I know that cquartz UK is the ceramic coating product. What are other 2 for?

All are "ceramic" coatings. They all say they are the best;)

mazers | 22 februari 2019

I got a Worx Hydroshot 40V battery powered pressure washer just to rinse the salt off the car in winter. It draws water from a bucket so no hose hookup. It works really well and I don't have to go to a 'pay and spray'. I can then wash like normal with ONR.

I use a pressurized spray bottle with ONR and do a pre rinse before using the 2 bucket method. Right in my garage, no hoses to deal with.

@Brian B - I have buckets with a screw on “gamma seal” lid to prevent spillage.

@kbmi777 - I’m going to install my own ceramic coat this spring when it warms up and after all my research I decided on Grechniq Crystal Serum Light and EXO. Seems very easy to apply and add protection for years.

I’ll also be buying a DA polisher and prep products such as a strip wash soap / iron x spray / clay bar / IPA spray. And I have zero experience with this type of work but I have become obsessed with how cool the Model 3 is and my desire to keep it looking as new as possible. I expect to complete the coating over a 3 day weekend and spend $500 in all the materials to compet the tasks.

@AWDTesla - the pre rinse with the pressurize spray bottle of ONR is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I need to give that a try

@Pierogi - Same here. I have been watching youtube videos on ceramic coating lately and would give a shot in Spring. But since there are so many products available and everyone claims to be best, its hard to decide which one to go for.

BTW - What is this ONR product?