Forums

How Long Do Tires Last?

How Long Do Tires Last?

EAPme | 5 maart 2019

Too many variables. I'll answer your question obtusely.

Buy a tire depth gauge. They are cheap and can help you anticipate how soon you'll need replacements based on your existing driving habits. It'll help you with the effects of tire rotation too.

At 2500 miles I was at 7/32 for my rear tires (from factory 8/32).

lbowroom | 5 maart 2019

Which car? Which tire package? Who's driving?

mazers | 5 maart 2019

Have you ever owned a car before? The only answer anyone can give is "It depends".

rxlawdude | 5 maart 2019

We've got around 21K miles on our December '17 M3 RWD LR. I've only rotated the tires twice. I'm guessing another 5-7K miles will be about it.

Tires will last longer on AWD M3s due to more even stress between front and rear.

coleAK | 5 maart 2019

^^^. Lots of variable. But in general AWD cars are much harder on tires than 2wd. Due to tires on either side of a diff get increased strain. On 2wd tires get a break from that strain half the time. Again this assumes conservative driving.

CST | 5 maart 2019

Conflicting answers from @rxlawdude & @coleAK, lol!

cmh95628 | 5 maart 2019

It depends. I am still in the "drive it like I stole it" honeymoon phase, after five months, and expect to get at most 20k miles.

lbowroom | 5 maart 2019

Some have burned through rears in 5,000

ODWms | 5 maart 2019

I'm at about 4800 mi, with no visible signs of wear. The SC said 8s and 9s, whatever that means (I assume out of 10). I've never heard it put that way before.

surfpearl | 5 maart 2019

@ODWms - They speak in the units of 1/32" for tire thread depth. Your threads were 8/32" and 9/32" deep which is pretty normal wear for that mileage on 20" tires. Ditto here.

rxlawdude | 5 maart 2019

I get 40,000 miles on the Primacy MXM4 on the S70D. That's without rotation.

I respectfully disagree with @cole. Not sure his experience is with Teslas, but it sure doesn't match mine nor most of the AWD MS owners who post similar results.

ODWms | 5 maart 2019

Thanks, Surfpearl!

M3phan | 5 maart 2019

I thought I wasn’t driving super hard but at my first 6250 miles rotation my tires were: fronts 7/32, rears 4/32! I rotated fronts to back, and two weeks later for a follow up SC visit on an unrelated issue, they measured them at fronts 3/32, rears 6/32. Good lord, I must be driving harder than I thought. ; ) I imagine at this rate I’ll need to get a new set soon.

one.more.again | 5 maart 2019

About an hour and a half:
https://youtu.be/eVvEgLgmQyM

rjriker | 5 maart 2019

I have 18 inch tires by Michelin and with over 6,000 miles I have used only one half 1/32. The factory told me they were 8.5/32 when new and now both the front and the rear show 8/32. I expect around 32,000 miles on this set. I am real pleased as the tires tend to be harder with the increased PSI.

coleAK | 5 maart 2019

@rxlaw. On our 2nd Tesla. Had a S and sold it when we got the 3. Have had around 40 cars over the last 35 years. And more than half were AWD: Audi’s, Subaru’s , Land cruisers, rovers, Porsche’s, MBs, now Tesla’s. I think over on the S forums you hear about it because people aren’t rotating their tires. And when people are complaining of uneaven wear F to R it’s almost always because they aren’t rotating often enough. I think not needing to take them in for service every 5k miles is a reason people aren’t doing it as often.

Also on a 2wd it’s easier to just get 2 tires at a time rather the of a full set of 4. I guess with the Tesla’s one could argue without a center diff getting all 4 wouldn’t matter as much but who knows over time. I’m a little obsessive over rotations and do it on all my vehicles (well that don’t have differant front and rear sizes) every 5k miles. But I have a frame lift so it’s easy. Again with conservative driving when you drive a 2wd the non drive tires have much less energy going to them so more or less are much more along for the ride. But again it all depends on how you drive. When my wife had a cayenne turbo she went through a set of 4 tires well before her first oil change. At Over $3k a set, in 2003. And I fully expect her to go through the OEM tires on the 3 in 1-2 summers. When I had my GT3 cup on the track I would go through a set of rears in a weekend.

zelorsales | 5 maart 2019

12k on rears

rxlawdude | 5 maart 2019

As I said, our AWD MS70D wears tires incredibly evenly.

Our M3 is RWD and getting close to needing to replace the tires that were on the rear and rotated to the front. I'm not a fan of mismatched sets of tread depth, but I suppose it's okay to do. Better is to remember to rotate every 5K miles (and NOT to use Tesla Service to do it) so all four wear evenly. Easy peasy.

ST70 | 6 maart 2019

They last longer than @Baozij

Firaz.ashraf | 6 maart 2019

First tire rotation ~7k. Shocked to learn still had 5/32 left on rear and 6/32 on front because i love to drive and particularly blast past assholes on NYC highways.
Now that the shock is over, hoping i can stretch tires past 10k.......

andrew | 6 maart 2019

Here is info I can provide:
2018 M3P with 20" wheels. OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Michelin website says tread depth is 9/32 (.28125) new but not sure the OEMs have that much? Unfortunately I didn't measure them new.

First rotation at 5300 miles using Rennstand Jackstands, in my garage. Here are the tire measurements in thousands of an inch and approx treadlife left based on 3/32" (.09375) discard tread value:

Outside Middle Inside Avg Est. Life Left
LR .229 .231 .217 .225667 70.36%
RR .215 .223 .224 .220667 67.69%
LF .265 .269 .229 .254333 85.64%
RF .27 .283 .234 .262333 89.91%

Seems the even though it is dual motor the rears are wearing almost 2x as fast. I performed a cross pattern rotation LR->RF RR->LF LF->RR RF->LR per the michelin tire guidelines. I will check on the measurements at 7500 and see where it is.

BTW the rennstand jackstands work great and aren't that expensive.

jim | 23 juli 2019

My wife has a M3 2wd LR with 7000 miles on it and the tires are down to 5/32. Unbelievable. My wife is 72 years old and does not race the car. I have a Model S and need new tires at 16K miles.

andy.connor.e | 23 juli 2019

Its possible Tesla is not using the best tires on the market.

vmulla | 23 juli 2019

The first 3 answers are the best. YMMV

My first set lasted 25K. They were at 3/32" when I replaced them.

More detail if you care: The car's tires were at ~5/32" when I was at ~10K (going by memory here), then I really changed my driving habits and was able to get 15K out of the tires. Rought math says that's 30% better tire life if you change your driving habits.

I feel confident I can make my new tires last 35K with the altered driving habits (Chill mode + No stomping on the pedal + no tight squealing turns)

There's a thread floating somewhere that gives the exact dates when I took measurements, what the front/rear tire depths were, the math, etc - but all that means zilch. It's all about how you drive the car.

vmulla | 23 juli 2019

andy.connor.e | July 23, 2019
Its possible Tesla is not using the best tires on the market.
-----
I am happy with Tesla's choice, I did extensive research before replacing my tires and replaced them with Primacy MXM4, same tires that came with the car.

beaver | 23 juli 2019

32k and will be replaced tomorrow
LR RWD 18” stock MXM4
Rotated at 13k and 25k

kevin_rf | 23 juli 2019

At 22k miles on mine (AWD). They still have plenty of thread, have been rotating them and they are wearing pretty evenly, but they are shot due to an alignment issue. My fault, well the curbs (plural) fault. Passenger side front and back have excessive inside edge wear and need to be replaced.

I only drive in chill...

is there something unique about the Model 3 that makes the tires wear down faster? or is it just the tire brand? I've driven a car that i put 40k miles on without needing to replace the tires. current car has 22k

jimglas | 23 juli 2019

the torque together with the weight of the battery make the tires wear down faster

vmulla | 23 juli 2019

andy.connor.e | July 23, 2019
is there something unique about the Model 3 that makes the tires wear down faster? or is it just the tire brand? I've driven a car that i put 40k miles on without needing to replace the tires. current car has 22k

---
Yes there are factors that are unique to 3 that make tires wear down faster.
- It is heavier than a similarly sized car
- Higher torque, tires get shredded more with that force.
- 3's tires are inflated at higher PSI for efficiency. That gives it a lesser contact area with the road. That means more shred force per inch
- It is more fun to drive, people do things they wouldn't in other cars. - This is the most important factor :)

TrexTesla | 23 juli 2019

I had one last 847 miles! Got a nail in it today! RRRRRRR.....they are the 18 inch Michelins. Apparently, according to more than one shop, Michelin isn't making the W rated tire anymore...so the V is the next one down. You can still find the Ws out there, but mostly in CA according to a few shops I called, so I'd have to wait 3-5 days...Or, go with a V rated one tomorrow...and the V is a little cheaper and a longer warranty (55k v. 45k) hmm....I'm not an expert on tires, but have had similar issues with my BMW where I wound up with two different speed rated tires with no issues...thoughts?

JAD | 23 juli 2019

Tesla also uses fairly grippy tires that are quiet on all models. You can put very cheap, very hard tires on the car and they will last longer if economy of tire replacement is an important feature. You can easily trade grip for tire life, but unfortunately tires have a lot of opposing features and you have to balance your needs with the proper tire.

the weight difference between the Model 3 and my current car is only a few hundred pounds. Its not really that significantly heavier.

Sounds like theres nothing unique about the 3. Its slightly heavier, and it sounds like people are just accelerating too hard. Maybe people also have the regen on max which would contribute more. So low regen, slow acceleration, and they should wear down less.

Also, PSI would only change the wear if you were under or over the value set by the manufacturer. The tires will start to bulge in or out causing more or less contact with the road. And a higher than recommended PSI would cause less contact with the road which would be less rolling resistance. Probably less wear but more concentrated on a smaller surface area. So all-in-all, it sounds like the fast wear of peoples tires is being caused by their driving habits.

JAD | 23 juli 2019

A key question is also how are the tires wearing? Is it all on the front or back, inside shoulder, outside shoulder or middle of tire? The wear pattern will tell you a lot about driving style, alignment issues, pressure issues, etc.

+1 @JAD

Thats the most important info

vmulla | 23 juli 2019

@JAD, @andy.connor.e,

LR RWD car here with 18" wheels. In my car there's even wear all along the width of the tires. It's typically 2/32 difference between front and rear at each tire rotation - rear wearing out faster of course.

But I really don't see how this info is going to be applicable to others :(

Lbanworth | 23 juli 2019

I have 19" Continentals on a Dec. 2018 AWD M3 with 24,000 miles on them. I currently have 5/32 of tread left if that helps. All highway driving in mostly FSD mode.

JAD | 23 juli 2019

Vmulla, your wear indicates that your tire pressures are good, assignment is good, but your right for is kinda heavy. Nothing to worry about, keep getting the rotations and enjoying the car.

Syed.Hosain | 23 juli 2019

@andy.connor.e "is there something unique about the Model 3 that makes the tires wear down faster? or is it just the tire brand? I've driven a car that i put 40k miles on without needing to replace the tires. current car has 22k"

It depends *strongly* on the tire model, the weight of the car, whether you rotate, how spirited your driving is, etc.

Long-lasting tires tend not to be as sticky, so they also handle poorly in summer. Excellent summer tires - like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - will last less than typical All-Seasons too.

The 235-45/18 Michelin Primacy MXM4 on my LR RWD are at 23.5k miles and I am now down to 3/32" (the legal limit is 2/32" - although tires should be changed sooner at around 4/32" if you drive in wet weather).

Since it does not rain here during this time of year, I have been a bit lazy to pull the trigger on changing, but will do so soon.

I am not particularly surprised by this tread wear mileage on the MXM4, by the way. I was hoping for closer to 25 to 28k, but not unexpected.

ml1211 | 20 augustus 2019

I just replaced all 4 tires on my long range, rear wheel drive Model 3 at 42,000 miles. I drive 95% highway miles but am not a conservative driver by any means. Had rotation done 2 times prior to replacement. Had TESLA do tires, alignment balance. Expect to get another 40 K out of these!

CharleyBC | 20 augustus 2019

@ml1211, which tires did you have originally? 18s?

Pg3ibew | 20 augustus 2019

Depends on your driving habits. Simple.

As a matter of fact....DEPENDS ON YOUR DRIVING HABITS is the answer to almost all the questions asked on this forum.

borne.by.wind | 20 augustus 2019

Are you binary or analog with the accelerator pedal?

TeslaG | 20 augustus 2019

i read about tire wear and warranties and so forth, but for my first set of tires, i'm going to have fun and see how long they last me. The acceleration is addicting, but still have not learned the cornering limits yet.

Steve S. | 21 augustus 2019

@andy.connor.e I’m guessing your other car doesn’t have runflats... the low profile stiff sidewalks forces all the flexing to happen in the tread and not distributed around the tire -> faster tread wear.

Kudos to the guy doing the full (diagonal) tire rotation... that’s way too much work to take all the tires off the rims each time to flip them.

For me, I got 30k miles out of the rears and will probably get 45k out of the fronts... that’s with only one tire rotation @ 20k because the SC charges $90 to rotate them. I had the tire place rotate them back when replaced the two original rears. Hopefully the fronts will last as long as the 2nd set of rears so I can replace all 4 and get back to regular rotations every 5k.

Thunder7ga | 21 augustus 2019

I checked mine this past weekend, and they were at 3/32" on all 4 tires across the tread. So very even wear. I have 35k miles on the car and rotated them about every 8k miles. I am researching for new tires to replace them in the coming weeks.

adamhenry552 | 21 augustus 2019

Where I get these tires any shop or any website?