Forums

Tesla Model 3 Supercharging Too Fast with V3

Tesla Model 3 Supercharging Too Fast with V3

Hello Folks,

With the new upcoming implementation of V3 supercharging, I'm quite disappointed Tesla will be making the charging time faster. I thoroughly enjoyed waiting an hour to get a charge, going inside and shopping / grabbing a bite to eat. With this new supercharging speed, I will only have about 30 minutes to wait now.

This is Unacceptable!!! I am requesting a refund of my car immediately. I do not want to pay idle fees while im in McDonalds eating a big mac!

Yours Truly,
A Complainer

gcklo | 7 maart 2019

We originally will have 30 min down time to go to the rest room. Now we need to hurry and finish in 5 min :)

gmkellogg | 7 maart 2019

First world problems. I wouldn't worry too much, it'll take time to upgrade them.

Teslanene | 7 maart 2019

Watch out for those idle fees that’s when people will start complaining that’s its too fast.

neylus | 7 maart 2019

Can charging amps be adjusted via software at superchargers like at home?

jithesh | 7 maart 2019

I think I am gonna sell my Model 3 and get a 2012 Model S so that I can keep the 1 hour wait

jimglas | 7 maart 2019

Class action lawsuit for sure ......

IHaveArrived | 7 maart 2019

Funny, but with a grain of truth. For Superchargers in good places, I don't want my car to charge so fast I get idle fee nags. But for Superchargers in boring places, I'll take V3.

rxlawdude | 7 maart 2019

"We originally will have 30 min down time to go to the rest room. Now we need to hurry and finish in 5 min."

If you're a male over 60, hurrying won't be an option. :-)

ben | 7 maart 2019

oh, man. that sucks. I am fine with 30 minutes or 1 minutes, but not 5 minutes.

ODWms | 8 maart 2019

Can the charge rate be slowed down like at home at the supercharger? At the very least, setting the capacity to maximum should buy time if needed. The charging starts tapering down close to full so that should help. Either way, I don’t see this being that big a problem for myself. Stopping and taking my time using bathroom and eating is kinda forced for me. I never did any of that in my ICE vehicles. Rarely even stopped but to buy gas and straight back on the road to get it all over with. .

gmr6415 | 8 maart 2019

Give me a 5 minute charge. I can stop later for a bathroom break and/or food if needed when needed.

derotam | 8 maart 2019

No you can't slow down supercharging rate like you can do at home. If you want to increase how long the car is charging to prevent idle fees, just increase the charge set point.

If people were able to slow the charge rate at a supercharger, you know someone would set it so that it would charge all night at supercharger locations by hotels!

jordanrichard | 8 maart 2019

I started a thread about this very subject basically saying be careful what you wish for..............

Ironically this increase in charging speed will make your stop longer. How you may be asking. Well as the OP pointed out, before you would plug in, go get something to eat, come back unplug and press on with your trip. Now, you will have to wait for the car to finish charging, then move the car before going in to get something to eat. The other option is to plug in, go inside, get seated/order you food, then walk back out to the car because it is done charging, move it to another spot and walk back inside. Either way, will add time to your trip.

What people don't realize is you don't really want it to be "refueled" as or nearly as fast as a gas car. Now I will grant it is a big advantage for those stops you make that are purely just to get a charge and don't need to use the bathroom or eat.

Iwantmy3 | 8 maart 2019

In all seriousness, I have a destination that I visit about once a monththat is a ~210 miles away. We go there for for the day and then plug in at the local supercharger while we go to eat at one of the restaurants on site. The time it takes at the restaurant is just right for us to get the charge we need to drive back home.

With V3, I would have to exit the restaurant halfway through my meal to move the car. 1st world problems, I know. But still, sometimes faster isn't better. (All of the rest of the time it will be a huge benefit).

andy.connor.e | 8 maart 2019

I was preparing myself to respond while the page was loaded, come to find the true humor. Nice post.

Technically each individual cell can handle 2A. So these cars could theoretically charge an order of magnitude or more, faster than they do now.

jordanrichard | 8 maart 2019

What Tesla has to do is balance the longevity of the battery vs speed. At least for the 18650 cells in the S and X, over the literal millions of miles over the past 6 going on 7 years, they have learned what the battery packs can handle in the way of supercharging. So they have already been loosening the restrictions on the V2 chargers, at least from what I have seen. Perhaps when they go to 145kw, I will see even faster charging.

Specifically for the Model 3 and the new 2170 cells, clearly despite the short time they have been in use, Tesla has data that makes them confident that they can handle up to 250kw with no harm.

Teslanene | 8 maart 2019

They should just split the chargers in half. If there 20 stations half of them would V3 and the other V2 that way you can choose.

Flanmansd | 8 maart 2019

LOL, use to be you'd have to educate newbies when they'd park in the "B" slot next to your "A". Explain the shared resources and longer charge time. Now, people are going to be waving people over, park here, park here!!! :^)

Mike83 | 8 maart 2019

This fast charging will be great during holidays and vacation travels with the deluge of new Model 3s on the road.
I do like the humor but as Abe once said; You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Bighorn | 8 maart 2019

@Flanman
The faster chargers won’t be sharing power between pedestals. Double whammy. Whomp whomp!

ILoveMyModel3 | 8 maart 2019

lol

kcheng | 8 maart 2019

If it's that fast, you wait until it's done. Yes, I know the OP was being sarcastic.

jefjes | 8 maart 2019

Since the rollout will be a process of sending OTA updates to even be able to use the new v3 superchargers, plus the locations are still yet to be determined along with the max charge percentage will be limited to 80%, don't see it as any real concern in the near future. Joking aside, with the prevalence of all the urban chargers that have been rolling out, if you want to charge slower and stay longer, you shouldn't have a problem finding other choices.

AWDTesla | 8 maart 2019

fanbois need new material.

mavraamides | 8 maart 2019

In all seriousness, has anyone considered whether the faster charging rate might be hard on the battery?

@mavraamides

Supercharging always is hard on the battery. Thats why you're only supposed to use supercharging for long distance travel, and not for your regular charging. Supposed to is the key word there, as i've had many conversations with people where supercharging is the only convenient way to do it. That being said, supercharging is not a "one-time-damage" kind of deal if you will. Supercharge for a year or 2 and it may start to show, kind of like your cellphone after 2-3 years. If you charge it too fast everytime, you'll start to see that in its battery life.

Bighorn | 8 maart 2019

Tesloop data contradicts the notion of supercharger damage to range.