Forums

can the locked car horn alert be turned off

can the locked car horn alert be turned off

The horn alert that sounds when leaving the car is extremely annoying and rude in my opinion. Can it be turned off or muted without effecting the regular horn function?

cborstein | 7 mei 2019

yes.

EVRider | 7 mei 2019

Did you even look at the settings before posting your question? :-)

Ironically, the lock confirmation alert was not there initially but a lot of people wanted it. Unlike the Model S, the Model 3 door handles don't retract when the car locks, so it's harder to tell by looking at the car, especially if you've disabled auto fold mirrors.

gmr6415 | 7 mei 2019

Page 13 of the owners' manual:

Walk-Away Door Lock:

Doors and trunks can automatically lock whenever you walk away carrying your authenticated phone. To turn this feature on or off touch Controls > Locks > Walk-Away DoorLock. When the doors lock, the exterior lights flash once and the mirrors fold (if equipped with the premium package and Fold Mirrors is on). To also hear a confirmation sound whenever Model 3 locks, touch Controls > Locks > Lock Confirmation Sound > ON.

JohnGymnast | 7 november 2019

I checked my settings and turned off my horn alert. It worked for 3 days and now it’s back on and I can’t turn it off anymore the options is grayed out. This is such a stupid feature! Just a flashing of the lights is enough why does it have to be a stupid loud audible sound? The horn alert is loud and annoying especially if you’re parking in front of a place with alfresco dining.
I love my Model 3 but super disappointed in the software.

surfpearl | 7 november 2019

Have you tried the 2-button reboot? If the problem still persists contact your Service Center. This option shouldn't be grayed out, something's obviously wrong. I disabled mine a year ago and it stays disabled all the time.

Tom11-18 | 8 november 2019

It's probably tied to the user setting, you may have to turn it off for your setting and for easy entry too.

JCE | 8 november 2019

This walk away alert was probably one of the most requested features of car before it was added. Proof that you can’t please everyone-even when you can turn the thing off.

lbowroom | 8 november 2019

Gymnast - I turned mine off the day I got it over a year ago. It's remained off, so there is something unusual going on with yours.

jimglas | 8 november 2019

I left my alert on
It gives me audible comfort that the car locked.
The "just walk away" part still makes me uncomfortable after 1.5 years.

lbowroom | 8 november 2019

Status horn honks annoy the crap out of me. I don't need to hear every car in the car park honk. Some are louder than others. Some countries actually forbid it.

EVRider | 8 november 2019

@JohnGymnast: Are you in valet mode by any chance? Whether you like the feature or not, you should be able to turn it off, and I don't know why it would be greyed out.

JohnGymnast | 10 november 2019

Not in valet mode. Haven’t tried the 2 button reset yet.
I did find that in the iPhone app there was also a setting to turn this off. I turned it off from there and it seems to be working BUT... the option is still grayed out in the car. Weird.

lbowroom | 10 november 2019

The horn in controls on the app actually honks the horn. It’s not a toggle

EVRider | 10 november 2019

@John: I think the honk on lock confirmation is only available if you have walk away locking enabled — do you?

Bighorn | 10 november 2019

I've never heard my car honk by itself, so apparently yes.

lbowroom | 10 november 2019

Also note that walk away lock is tied to each driver profile. Just because you activated on one profile doesn’t mean it’s active on others. So yes, John could be walking away from his car and it’s not locking at all.

swanson21 | 10 november 2019

I love how subtle the honk confirmation is, almost can't hear it by the time I'm a few feet away, but some other cars can be quite loud and annoying.

C.viau1 | 10 november 2019

I persponaly think that the horn for walk away is quite discret. When i am away from my car i can hardly ear it.

Sarah R | 10 november 2019

My Volt locks silently when I walk away, but will honk at my if I leave the key fob inside. I've grown to actually like this feature.

I don't have my Tesla yet. Does the Model 3 behave similarly if a paired phone or key card is left in the vehicle?

JohnGymnast | 16 november 2019

I think the audible lock alarm is obnoxious on ANY car. This is not the 1990’s. Having the visual flash of the headlights is sufficient.
And yes my car is locked when I walk away because the “silent” flash of the head lights is enough and not an audible annoyance to people around you. Tesla could even go a step further and get rid of the audible sound and flash of the head lights and just vibrate your watch to let you know it’s locked. No noise or light pollution.

@lbowroom yes that’s quite obvious. The option to turn off the audible alarm sound is grayed out in the car not the app.

JohnGymnast | 16 november 2019

I meant watch and phone for the lock alert.

howard | 16 november 2019

JohnGymnast | November 16, 2019
I meant watch and phone for the lock alert.

+1 for phone or watch notifications.

I often check my phone because I don’t hear the confirm lock. While it has not happened in a while I have come back to find it unlocked. If one of the passengers don’t close a door fully it stays unlocked. I have noticed this several times coming out of lunch with a group.

lbowroom | 16 november 2019

I understand that it’s grayed out on the car. That may be because walk away lock may not be active in the profile you are in. Do you have multiple profiles? You have to turn it in in each profile.

Confused by your reference to the App. There is no control for horn confirmation on the App

howard | 16 november 2019

lbowroom

Confused by your reference to the App. There is no control for horn confirmation on the App

It was a suggested feature request.

lbowroom | 16 november 2019

“ I did find that in the iPhone app there was also a setting to turn this off.”

I took this to reference walk away horn honk, but now I think you may have been referencing valet mode.

eztider | 16 november 2019

The walk away lock horn is very handy for me when it doesn't sound. When I don't hear it, it means I left my phone on the wireless charging pad....which happens quite often, actually