Forums

Raven Refresh & Quality Control

Raven Refresh & Quality Control

I took delivery of my Raven Refresh Performance, Ludicrous Mode Model X less than 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks later than the estimate for delivery when I ordered the car. Quality control was much worse than expected. For reference I've owned a Roadster 2.5 and Model S P85DL, so I'm not new to Tesla. Here's the list of things wrong. At delivery they discovered a problem with the steering column and had to re-calibrate it (2.5 hour delay); the steering wheel is about 5 degrees counter-clockwise from where it should be. The first time I did a hard acceleration (8 miles on the odometer) I noticed a vibration in the front of the car, but chalked it up to an unfamiliar road. I later discovered it always happens with as low as 90KW acceleration. I'm now scheduled to have the front axles replaced. Six days after I had the car and a 1000 miles from home, the air conditioning quit. The repair technician said it was incorrectly set at the factory. That cost me half of my family visit trip. The falcon-wing doors often do not shut on the first try; it reports there's an obstruction, when there is none. It is yet to complete the Xmas Easter Egg dance. The passenger side windshield wiper only wipes 1/3 to now 1/2 of the area in from of the cameras on the rear view mirror assembly; a loaner Model X (Signature P90D) wipes 2 inches past them. The result is the loud warning to take control when raining (even light rain) or the washers are used. The washer fluid leaves a blue film on the car, most noticable on the window chrome. The right front tire has a slow leak--I'm not sure whether that is Telsa's or my fault. The website said I would get 5000 miles of free supercharging when I ordered the car. Before I reached 1000 miles charges began showing up during supercharging. I certainly like the car and will keep it, but the level of quality control should be much higher after producing the Model S for 7 years and Model X for 4 years.

20854 | 5 juli 2019

Sorry you have had so many problems. I am new to Tesla but not new to new cars. I have had five new BMW’s. We ordered our LR X Raven on 6/14, and on 6/29, we took delivery in DC. When we arrived at the Tesla store to close on our car, we were told one of the Falcon door skylights had been damaged in transit. We came back in 2 hours (they offered us an Uber voucher) and took delivery. Everything was perfect. Really enjoy the car.

20854 | 5 juli 2019

Sorry you have had so many problems. I am new to Tesla but not new to new cars. I have had five new BMW’s. We ordered our LR X Raven on 6/14, and on 6/29, we took delivery in DC. When we arrived at the Tesla store to close on our car, we were told one of the Falcon door skylights had been damaged in transit. We came back in 2 hours (they offered us an Uber voucher) and took delivery. Everything was perfect. Really enjoy the car.

viper2c2 | 13 juli 2019

Initially, the tech said the axle replacement seemed to have fixed the problem. However, on a 2nd test drive, they broke a motor mount, which may have been a cause of the vibration in the 1st place. That still isn't the root cause, so I hope Tesla continues to identify the source of the problem and correct it. Results: another week without my new car.

viper2c2 | 21 juli 2019

After 12 days in a service center, the windshield wipers still do not wipe in front of all the cameras in the rear view mirror assembly. Although the falcon wing doors were recalibrated to not report an obstruction when there is none, they have twice. Perhaps the most disconcerting part of the vibration ordeal, is the statement in the owners manual to not accelerate hard (includes passing) unless the suspension is set Low or Very Low. In Standard, High and Very High, it puts too much strain on the front axels (maybe rear too) because of the non-straight angles of the axels into the gear box. Getting a smoother ride is apparently at the expense of performance. I probably wouldn't have bought the car had I know this.

jimglas | 22 juli 2019

whats the problem with having the car at low?

eveningsun | 22 juli 2019

I honestly hoped they fixed shudder with Raven, have NO problem with low at all, I've been on low 100% of my 2nd half shafts lifespan, the lasted less than 10K km, on my 3d pair now

jimglas | 22 juli 2019

I am at 12k miles and have no issue. Have been on low other than while crawling through a blizzard.

johnse | 29 juli 2019

@viper2c2 "The falcon-wing doors often do not shut on the first try; it reports there's an obstruction, when there is none."

I had this with one of mine as well. It would close almost all the way and then balk. A second press of the "close" button (not the hold-to-override variety) would cause it to finish closing. I used the "report" feature* to mark the logs when it detected a phantom obstruction a couple of times and gave emailed those times to my service center. They examined the logs, identified a sensor problem, ordered parts and then contacted me with an appointment to fix it. Took a couple of days (apparently involved removing/replacing the small window in the door, so they needed to give it time for the glue to set).

Haven't had a problem with it since.

* Report feature: give the voice command, "Report: falcon door failed to close". Both "Report" and "Bug Report" work and it will record the short phrase after it in the logs.

sschaem | 12 augustus 2019

I can confirm that Tesla still has no figured out to build the Model X reliably.
I have a july build and it had defect to be repaired on day 1. Mainly that the passenger door doen;t close reliably.

The first thing I noticed is that the motor setting was super aggressive, the passenger door like slam the door like an angry girlfriend!
That seem to do the trick, but if the door is not fully open, their still isn't enough momentum and the lacking doesn't engage. Resulting on door being left open , but at least the car beeps 3 times to tell its not secured.

Anyways the problem is that its so out of alignment that the front part rubs paint to paint with the hood. I can slide a sheet of paper and will get stuck there.
In contrast the gap between the falcon and front door, I can slip my pinky in there. talk about panel gap !

So easy fix right ? just re attached the door a 2 millimeter back... Well it seem it was INTENTIONALLY miss aligned as an easy fix other part rubbing against each other !

This is FREAKING INSANE. July 2019 and Tesla cant seem to figure out how to assemble a Model X.

And most important, dont care to deliver car without hacking defects. Quality control at Tesla is being deplorable.

This personally my third Tesla delivery , all been defective. My dad got a model 3, and the assembly quality was Toyota like (meaning good:) But the delivery was still a mess. Not on time, car presented covered in dust, washed but still now with mud in the door handle and cracks, and not configured as ordered.

I just would love to know the name of the people that run the show at Tesla.

I also talk to a few people at supercharger... its pretty folks.