Forums

Why does my Model 3 go offline

Why does my Model 3 go offline

My model 3 goes offline and doesn’t sleep when it’s offline. Any thoughts?

EVRider | 21 augustus 2019

What exactly do you mean when you say your Model 3 goes offline, and how are you determining that?

andy.connor.e | 21 augustus 2019

Because its out of line.

wcorey | 21 augustus 2019

In lieu of your meaning of 'offline' I have two possible answers.

If you meant disconnected from a wifi signal, thereby not receiving updates, your wifi signal is too weak. I had that problem and needed to put a repeater in the garage.

If you meant as reported by your mobile app, on a phone or tablet, you are beyond bluetooth range so your phone's running Tesla app is no longer connected

If it's something else please elaborate.

hcdavis3 | 21 augustus 2019

Sorry I should’ve added more info. I have full bars Google WiFi in my garage. When for whatever reason it goes offline it won’t sleep. I have forgotten my WiFi network and logged in again, it stays online and sleeps fine for a night then goes offline and doesn’t sleep. I don’t have any apps polling my car. With full bars why does it go offline. Thanks very much in advance.

All this according to Teslafi.

Joshan | 21 augustus 2019

very confused.... you contradict yourself it seems.

hcdavis3 | August 21, 2019
\I don’t have any apps polling my car

hcdavis3 | August 21, 2019
All this according to Teslafi.

does Teslafi not contact your car?

Yes it does and says it’s offline.

I’m just confused, if I have full bars in my car, why does it go offline, that’s what Teslafi reports.

don't all network devices go "offline" when they are in "sleep" mode? If you remove the network nothing can wake it up, so that makes sense it sleeps. If on WiFi things (like Teslafi) can wake it up and stop the sleeping, but will see that it went "offline". Never used TeslaFi though so maybe someone who has will have better info.

Really not following your logic completely though so I may be missing something.

Magic 8 Ball | 21 augustus 2019

Some claimed that for an update the car wakes up via an LTE connect that then allows the WiFi to connect I have no clue if this is true : )

gballant4570 | 21 augustus 2019

My Model 3 did not have any wifi connection for 6+ months. It went to "sleep" just fine. I don't use Teslafi, possibly the reason I never had your problem....?

Xerogas | 21 augustus 2019

@hcdavis3: maybe ask Teslafi. If it’s offline, Teslafi won’t be able to reach it either,

Sorry for the confusion Joshan. If my 3 is not online as reported by Teslafi it won’t sleep. I believe it’s a WiFi question. Thanks very much.

KAM6 | 21 augustus 2019

Have you tried adjusting your teslafi sleep settings?

EVRider | 21 augustus 2019

Model 3, unlike Model S, does not remain connected to WiFi. What Magic 8 Ball about using LTE to wake up the car is true for all Teslas.

@hcdavis3: I just started using TeslaFi recently (with my Model S), and there are settings you have to adjust (under Settings > Sleep Modes) to make sure TeslaFi doesn’t prevent your car from sleeping. After I started using TeslaFi and adjusted the sleep settings, I discovered another third-party app (Tesla Remote) was preventing my car from sleeping. After I resolved that, my car slept. I do see my car listed as offline in TeslaFi from time to time, but once it connects the stats get updated.

My Teslafi settings were working fine until yesterday, by the way after a firmware update my car doesn’t sleep. I believe it’s some kind of WiFi issue related to the latest firmware update.