Do you remember where you were 18 years ago today? 9/11

Do you remember where you were 18 years ago today? 9/11

18 years ago today 4 aircraft were hijacked and 3 flew into building and
1 crashed into PA countryside. Do you remember where you were and how you found out?

I was in Ft Worth TX sleeping. Friend called me and woke me up.
Said to turn on CNN. I was glued to the TV as many of us were the next few days.

sbeggs | 11 september 2019

@sbeggs and I were in Beaune, France. We walked into a store to buy small French and American flags for a wooden display Steve was making. The owner said, “Two planes flew into the trade towers and hit the Pentagon.” We told him, those are in two different cities, not possible. We headed back to our gite and turned on our satellite TV, and watched the towers fall. Heinous crime, that had the feeling of watching a movie.
Later, most attendees at Steve's October birthday in the Dordogne canceled. Gite owners offered us the place for the winter if we couldn't get back home. We were shown extraordinary kindness by many French people, and sympathy continued for the decade after, as we returned to France, spending two months near Bordeaux every spring and fall.
I went to business school at NYU Stern, and worked at City Hall, so I knew that area well. But I left for San Diego in 1981. I can still picture every block in my mind, as if it were yesterday.

nwfan | 11 september 2019

@sbeggs, thanks for sharing your memories of that horrible day. It's etched in many of our minds.

You restore a bit of faith in human beings by sharing the reaction of the French people. And the
kindness they showed you.

nwfan | 11 september 2019

@sbeggs, thanks for sharing your memories of that horrible day. It's etched in many of our minds.

You restore a bit of faith in human beings by sharing the reaction of the French people. And the
kindness they showed you.

ggendel | 11 september 2019

I was working at a NJ research firm when my wife called to tell me about the first plane. I went down to the projection room and watch the news just in time to see the second plane hit. I spent the next couple of days tracking down friends and family that worked at the WTC, all of them survived. We choked on the debris in the air for weeks and cringed every time a plane flew overhead. It took months to shake the fog encasing my thoughts and get back to some semblance of normalcy. This horrific event is indelibly etched into my mind.

jimglas | 11 september 2019

I was at work and walked by a TV many were crowded around. Only one tower had been hit and I thought it was just a terrible accident. Then I watched the second tower be hit on live TV. I remember the realization that this was an attack, not an accident. I remember feeling nauseated and thinking, nothing will ever be the same.

andy.connor.e | 11 september 2019

Pretty sure i was in like 3rd grade and no one told us what was going on. Didnt really find out until i got home from school that day, but still didnt really understand what was going on.

rpreuss | 11 september 2019

I was working on the 31st floor of my office on 5th avenue in Manhattan. I'll never forget the story as it developed. I was lucky and did manage to get a train out of Penn Station around 6pm for somewhere in New Jersey. At that time, we did not care where. It has been 18 years and I will never ever forget that day.

rxlawdude | 11 september 2019

I was at an Electronic Health Record vendor's annual user meeting in Kansas City, MO. I had eaten my breakfast and was walking through the tunnel that connected the hotel and convention center, and saw a large crowd surrounding a few PCs set up for attendees to use for email and web surfing.
As I got closer, a gentleman in a military uniform was leaving, tears in his eyes. "They just crashed a plane into the Pentagon."

As the morning's horrors continued, virtually every session of the meeting had the screens on the news, and the meeting pretty much ended that Tuesday instead of the scheduled close on Thursday.

There's an interesting coda, as I and my hospital colleagues had to figure a way to get back to SoCal.

jimglas | 11 september 2019

@RxLaw: I had a couple of friends get stuck in DC at a convention.
Airlines all grounded, rental cars all gone, buses full. They ended up buying a used car and driving it home. Sold the car on arrival here.
Truly a strange time.

rxlawdude | 11 september 2019

Me and one other colleague found that Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix had chartered a bus, and folks from institutions between KC and Phoenix glommed on. We were able to convince the bus driver and his boss to continue on from Phoenix to SoCal. 30 hours.

But that pales in comparison to those living through those nightmares.

Earl and Nagin ... | 11 september 2019

I did my first EV road trip:
I had driven my ICE from LA to San Diego for a conference but was supposed to fly to DC that morning for a meeting, expecting to return the the conference on Thursday. Got to the airport as they were closing the airspace. Drove home.
Did my first EV road trip driving back to the conference on Thursday, Sept 13 in my EV1 - out of spite for the oil money that had enabled the attack. I won an electric scooter from a drawing at one of the exhibitors - I think karma was at play :-)
The attacks of 9/11 were a lot of what motivated me to jump in with Tesla 5 years later when they promised the Roadster with a plausible plan.

Ronbo | 11 september 2019

I was in Los Angeles driving to work in the early morning. I was working for the CIA Inspector General’s Office. We were completely caught off-guard. I remember watching the coverage and we got the call from headquarters to close up and go home. Lost some coworkers at the WTC.

jimglas | 12 september 2019

@Ronbo: I thought the CIA had warned W and he ignored it?

Tropopause | 12 september 2019

I had already flown my first of two flights that morning. Had just enough time to call my wife on a pay phone (didn’t own a cell phone at that time.) She said a small plane had crashed into WTC. Airport was packed as I got back on my plane in preparation for next flight.

Was boarding when suddenly passengers were removed and crew was locked onboard, jetbridge pulled. We all remained onboard until every last airborne flight had landed (US), then we were allowed to deplane and leave.

The airport terminal was completely empty as I walked through. Fortunately I was at my home base airport so I could drive home.

I didn’t own a cell phone at the time so the only news source was a flight attendant getting information from her husband via her phone as we sat on the empty airplane.

rxlawdude | 12 september 2019

Why would they lock flight crew in the plane?

Tesla2018 | 12 september 2019

I was in NJ and scheduled to fly to FL around 5 pm. Around 9am my brother called me since he was at work to tell me what was going on. I was only 15 miles west of NYC so I went to the top of a mountain which overlooked NYC later in the day and could see all the smoke. Arpund 11 Am all the fire whistles in the atea started blowing and all the fire trucks and ambulances in the area started going down the highway headed for NY.
Neighbor said his wife who worked at WTC went into building lobby and tiles started falling so she ran out and bodies and parts from people who jumped were on the street.
Scariest part was that they said all flights were grounded and then I heard another plane making a really loud noise. Went outside since I thought it was a 3rd one but it was a fighter jet going supersonic creating a sonic boom.

Ronbo | 12 september 2019

@jimglas The President was warned that there were indicators of an impending terrorist strike, but at the time we didn’t have the resources to enable a detailed estimate. We knew something was coming but not when, where, and how.

Grosse Batterie | 12 september 2019

I am French, but I was in the US (Chicago) for my first corporate training, and several colleagues had relatives in or near the tower. Fortunately, I think none of them was injured or killed.

I was actually impressed by how my US colleagues reacted, and especially their eagerness to learn about middle east geopolitics (in the 1990s, I am not sure American people cared so much about international politics), and their conviction that, even if their country was hit, they would work hard to get back.

Ross1 | 13 september 2019

In Melbourne Australia, my son came home at midnight and said quick turn on the TV...we were glued to the action for many days, even over here.

jimglas | 13 september 2019

thanks Ronbo. I am just a civilian, but good info for us.

Tropopause | 13 september 2019

Rx- lots of confusion that day. Authorities locked up the airplanes, closed cargo doors, pulled jetbridges so terrorist could not get inside any planes. The crews that were inside were needed to move those planes as the airborne flights were forced to land and deplane passengers. There simply isn’t enough room at airports for all aircraft to be on the ground simultaneously so lots of playing Tetris, so to speak. Once the skies were cleared, we were free to go.

NKYTA | 13 september 2019

I was at home, hosting my cousin, who's brother worked at the NIH in Washington at the time -- it took a long time to find out he was safe after the mandatory evacuation.

After hours of watching the horror, I snapped. Went to the driving range and happened to see the last two overseas flights land at SFO, fighter jets on each wing. Surreal.

TabascoGuy | 13 september 2019

I was at work and remember the shock, anger, and helplessness we all shared as the events unfolded. The other thing that I remember was the eerie quietness of the skies over the next few days.

A day or two after 9/11 I bought a flag decal to put in the back window of my car as a reminder and tribute to those that lost their lives. Thanks for reminding me to go get another one.

rxlawdude | 13 september 2019

@tropo, thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense, other than the locking you in part. ;-)

cslaurie | 17 september 2019

I was working on an oil rig at Elk Hills CA. My wife called and told me about the first plane. I went to my trailer and watched the second plane hit. I went on the rig and the entire crew went back to my trailer to watch the replays and then the towers came down. The roughnecks were crying and yelling in rage. The crew wanted to go down to the 7-11 in town and beat the guy in the turban working in the store. I had to tell them he was an Indian (Sikh). Probably saved his life.

andy.connor.e | 17 september 2019

Im sure the guy working at a gas station knew all about a radical terrorist attack. Good thinking saving that guy from an undeserved beating.

rxlawdude | 17 september 2019

"The roughnecks were crying and yelling in rage. The crew wanted to go down to the 7-11 in town and beat the guy in the turban working in the store."

Not exactly deep thinkers, huh? :-)