Forums

Range increase to 322 miles

Range increase to 322 miles

Just curious if current owners of the model 3 lr awd will be getting this added range? I know it shows 322 mile range since last week. Hopefully over the air soon.

Bighorn | 6 november 2019

Purely psychological if it happens.

Fredvanngo | 10 november 2019

My LR RWD has 325 miles rage @ 100% since V.9 months ago :-)

jebinc | 10 november 2019

Nope.

FISHEV | 10 november 2019

"Just curious if current owners of the model 3 lr awd will be getting this added range?"

Great question.

If the car's range has always been 322 then the battery degradation curves and range losses owners are showing become exaggerated as it not going from 310 to 303 (my current Rated Range) but 322 to 303.

From valuation standpoint. A car that is rated 322 and shows range of 322 on controls is more valuable that a car rated 310, 4%/$2k more valuable.

I'd pay the $500 to up range to 322.

Tesla is totally dark on the range increase to 322 for LR AWD. Don't see that the EV media has been pursuing the question either.

MAB1980 | 10 november 2019

“ From valuation standpoint. A car that is rated 322 and shows range of 322 on controls is more valuable that a car rated 310, 4%/$2k more valuable.”

Personally I value components of my car. Tying the entire price to range is... peculiar.

"Tying the entire price to range is... peculiar."MAB1980

Tesla and every EV mfg do it so not that "peculiar".

jallred | 10 november 2019

Hmm. A model S performance has the exact same range as my model 3 lr rwd. I guess they cost the same amount too?

@fish“ Tesla and every EV mfg do it so not that "peculiar".”

No, they don’t. There are a whole host of other things which impact price.

Paint, wheels, brakes, stereo, motor configuration, interior, etc.

The price is about much more than range.

Should be a simple formula. $/mi.

"jallred | November 10, 2019

Should be a simple formula. $/mi."

And there may be some type of expression like that for the range-affecting options in a car. But the poster above seems to have taken a percent increase in range and applied it to ~$60,000, thus inflating the cost of that range by including fixed costs unassociated with range.

Yeah. I was being sarcastic. Tesla as a company is far from any such formula. Within a model it isn't even true.

Haha fair enough. I see sufficient preposterous posts here that sometimes identifying the sarcastic ones is difficult.

"Should be a simple formula. $/mi."@jallred

Like $500 for an additional 22 miles?

@fish
“From valuation standpoint. A car that is rated 322 and shows range of 322 on controls is more valuable that a car rated 310, 4%/$2k more valuable.

I'd pay the $500 to up range to 322.”

Pretty interesting that you think 12 (i.e., 322-310) miles of range has $2000 worth of value, but you’d only pay $500 for it.

Bighorn | 10 november 2019

@MAB
You’re going to stay busy debating someone who is wrong 100% of the time.

WW_spb | 10 november 2019

Hahah and at the same time he wants Kona with less range than his model 3 bahahaha dumbo the flying fish

WW_spb | 10 november 2019

Hahah and at the same time he wants Kona with less range than his model 3 bahahaha dumbo the flying fish

@ Bighorn

I’m cooking dinner, have spare cycles ;)

Speaking of cooking, how do people feel about eliminating gas hookups for kitchens in CA? I guess induction is pretty sweet, but what to do with all that sweet, sweet copper?

-@Bighorn

Induction in sweet! Water/soup boils almost instantly. Just put an induction stove in my son’s new house. That’s the month long reno I mentioned that kept me from all this forum fun last month...

@jeb
Nice--it's just that a lifetime of coveting gas makes it tough. I suppose if it's like going to EV, it's just a matter of re-education:)

It will save me beaucoup bucks not having to pursue more copper. It looks so good hanging though:) Martha Stewart better unload hers before the crash!

"It will save me beaucoup bucks not having to pursue more copper."@Bighorn

Lots of copper in those Tesla motors.

"Pretty interesting that you think 12 (i.e., 322-310) miles of range has $2000 worth of value, but you’d only pay $500 for it."@MAB1980

Car market says it's value is $2k when reselling. You need to talk to the invisible hand.

Tesla charges $500 for changing the Rated Range setting. You need to talk to Musk.

^ I don’t care; I need to talk to neither.

“ Speaking of cooking, how do people feel about eliminating gas hookups for kitchens in CA?”

@bighorn I don’t like it. Aside from it not being their place, imo, I don’t expect it pencils out. Instead of burning gas in a kitchen, they burn gas in a power plant to boil steam, turn turbines, step up electric potential, transmit it over distance, and then heat up resistive elements. That’s a whole lot of inefficiency added.

-@Bighorn

Gas for us... He had an electric range that needed to be replaced. Actually, it didn’t need to be replaced, he just wanted matching stainless. He has gas heat, but opted instead to try the new tech. Loves it.

ColoDriver | 11 november 2019

@MAB
Actually an induction range running off a gas fired power plant is more efficient than a gas range for exactly the same reason an EV charged from than same plant is more efficient than an ICE: large power plants are much more efficient than locally burned fuel.

Gas: 40%, Resistive Electric 74%, Induction 84%

We moved from gas to an induction cooktop and couldn't be happier with it. The instant control of gas, but with better power and no combustion products in the living space.

Also, because the cooktop doesn't get particularly hot it's much easier to clean. And if you want pretty pans, Demeyer makes some really nice induction friendly cookware.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/efficient-cooking

All that said, I was hoping that some of the promised "power and efficiency improvements" Tesla has been talking about would lead to an actual increase in range.

Bighorn | 11 november 2019

@Colo
Thanks for the input and hardware suggestion! Would be great if the transition were like yours, gas to induction, but the pricing premium will have most opting for resistive heat over induction I’m afraid. Not sure how that pencils out. Not sure how I’d fire roast my tomatoes, either:)

Magic 8 Ball | 11 november 2019

Two on demand gas heaters, gas dryer, gas stove, two gas furnaces. They just replaced all the gas lines in our 'hood (the San Bruno snafu kicked them in gear). All-Clad.

Bighorn | 11 november 2019

I have a ton of All Clad, so it looks like I’ll be set for the zombie apocalypse:)

andy.connor.e | 11 november 2019

This thread is exactly what i expected to read.

jebinc | 11 november 2019

Induction prices have come way down, recently. The stove we put in my son’s house was less than $1000. And it have a convection oven, as opposed to just a regular electric oven.

andy.connor.e | 11 november 2019

"And it have a convection oven, as opposed to just a regular electric oven."

You know the word convection just means theres a fan circulating the air right? Its still an electric oven, with air circulation.