Forums

Got an email response from Tesla support

Got an email response from Tesla support

So I emailed Tesla support requesting the option to warm the battery, stationary in my garage, using whatever they use to precondition the battery while nav'ing to a super charger. After about a week they just sent me this email:

"Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. I apologize for the delayed response, but I am happy to assist. Improve efficiency and performance in cold weather by preconditioning your car before you drive. Just tap “Climate” in the Tesla app and set your desired interior temperature. Your cabin will maintain that temperature as long as your battery is above 20%. The following features will automatically turn on for your convenience:

In cool temperatures -
• Front seat heaters and any equipped cold weather features
• Front and rear defrosters
In near-freezing temperatures -
• Battery heating, which improves the following functions:
1. Stronger regenerative braking
2. Faster charge times
3. More powerful acceleration
When you return to the car, your climate settings will revert to your last driving preferences and your battery will continue to warm up as you drive.

You can precondition your Tesla anytime, anywhere—even in garages and other closed spaces. Here are a few best practices for improving your car’s performance in cold weather:
• Precondition your car for approximately one hour to heat your battery before you plan to drive, especially in near freezing temperatures
• Charge your car while preconditioning to reduce the amount of energy loss from your battery pack
• Turn off Range Mode to avoid limiting the power available to precondition your car—even when charging
Setting a higher cabin temperature on the mobile app will not precondition your battery faster. Also, enabling “Max Battery Power” in performance cars will not precondition the car any faster, but will increase the maximum temperature your battery will operate at.

Let me know if you have any further questions with preconditioning.

Best,"

Just thought I'd post if anyone was interested.

mrburke | 11 november 2019

@Mike - That is good information. Thanks

Mike UpNorth_ | 11 november 2019

The use of 'range mode' and 'max battery power' makes me think this is a canned response for S/X owners.

rob.kibler | 11 november 2019

Thanks for posting this info Mike. Its good to get info directly from Tesla instead of through youtube and forums. It's not obvious or intuitive that turning on the HVAC for an hour in cold weather also heats the battery.

@rob

Agreed. But hoping it applies to the 3 and not just S/X.

PteRoy | 11 november 2019

Precondition for 1 hour. That’s like. Sex with my wife 60 times. Sex with my girlfriend once. And sex with that guy at the gym who keeps looking at me while naked (to be determined)

Bighorn | 11 november 2019

Battery preconditioning with Climate app seems dependent on setting nav to a local supercharger. The 3 is different than the S in this regard. The S battery heater shows up on the app if you pre-condition in cold enough temperatures. Not evident in the 3 app.

@PteRoy. Good input to the topic. Thank you sir. Lol.

@big
I've tried the nav to SC while charging and cabin warming but when I get in the car the precondition for super charging doesn't come up on the screen. How are you getting that to happen? SC is 3 miles from my house.

I’d exited the car in Nav mode with the sc as the destination. I turned on climate heat from the app. When I opened the door, there was the usual message about Preconditioning happening, but it went off after a few seconds. It goes back on when you press the brake. I took it to mean that the preconditioning was happening concomitant with the cabin heating, but I don’t have raw data to prove it. The preconditioning message did not show up when I opened the door and had not engaged cabin heating with the app.

If you’d been charging, the battery might have been up to temp already.

Cool. I'll try some of those options.
Appreciated.

I've driven ~80 miles highway to a SC and the precondition message came up. In much warmer weather.
Doubtful my 60 minutes of 8k charging warmed the battery all the way up. Especially when I have 50% dots.
Just IMO.

ILoveMyModel3 | 11 november 2019

using the nav precondition for supercharging is different from the preconditioning they're regering to here.

Mike
It’s possible that preconditioning for a SC en route is cooling rather than heating the battery.

You think? 20F was the high here today.

I thought preconditioning was mostly to heat the battery. Assuming it's not summer heat outside....

I was referring to the 80 mile drive in much warmer weather.

Oh yeah, good point.

Thanks again.

Goal temp seems to be around 95F according to one Reddit experimenter.

It was warm outside on that 80 mile drive I mentioned....

gballant4570 | 11 november 2019

Bighorn, whenever I've seen the battery pre-conditioning alert while en route to a charger I am certain cooling is occurring. Those occasions were at the tail end of 200+ mile trips, so the battery was already well warmed.

Mike UpNorth_, that response is suggesting cold weather actions that I have been using in colder weather since taking delivery. It works quite well for me. Of course it works best if your car is plugged in while parked in a building.

The cooling fans go into super overdrive when supercharging. Driving on a hot day could certainly get the temps above optimal one would think.

One of the main complaints from early Leaf owners - battery temp limiting subsequent charges on road trips.

@gb

I forget where you live. How cold does it get where you live?
For me...in MN...60 minutes of charging + cabin warming gets Regen dots to 50% versus 100% if I don't do anything....if 50% Regen dots is best case scenario, so be it. Just hoping for less than that.
Beating a dead horse I know, sorry.

teslamazing | 11 november 2019

@mike this was my thread before it got infected with Fishy’s BS so I had to delete it.

https://imgur.com/a/pArpL2e

Mike UpNorth_, I live in MD. Doesn't get as cold usually as MN. I also park in my barn - not insulated, but helps the car maintain a higher interior temp while warming due to no wind. BTW, I have high hopes for the new update I installed and tested tonight. Regen is a lot stronger, and may be better when the battery is colder as well.

howard | 11 november 2019

Hey Mike, Thanks for posting the information. While I precondition it is usually for 10 minutes not 60. I’ll give it a try. havevto start when the alarm goes off.

@Mike
50% regen is about as much as you want on slick roads. I do full regen until it surpasses 50% and then drop it into low.

derotam | 12 november 2019

@Bighorn, what do you think the goal temp is 95F for? The battery?

vmulla | 12 november 2019

Yesterday I drove 15hrs, drive time was only punctuated by supercharger stops. Temperature was in the 60s, I doubt there was any battery warming required after such a long drive. I saw the preconditioning message several times but I did not feel any difference in supercharger speeds (I’m familiar with these SCs) - 52kW on the low end 143kW on the high end - just s as always. If there was a difference, it was small enough to miss my observation.
——

@derotam, @bighorn.
Off topic observation: ~95F is the temperature in the rear of my car on long drives.

I took several videos to document this for my upcoming service visit.

A long shot connection, but the battery might be affecting rear vent temp.
——

vmulla | 12 november 2019

Oh and I sometimes saw the ‘battery preconditioning’ message ~20 miles, 15mins+ before my Supercharger stop.