Forums

Navigation maps need updating

Navigation maps need updating

I've got a Model 3 mid range, bought almost a year ago. I'm up to date on software updates. But the maps on the screen are out of date. My son bought a house in a new section of a development here. My Google Maps on iPhone, and Waze, all now show his street and how to get there. But on my Tesla screen it still looks like I'm driving where there is no street! When will these maps get updated??

Magic 8 Ball | 7 december 2019

Time for FishEV AKA EaglesPDX the Tesla hater to check into rehab.

KAM6 | 7 december 2019

I don't know when the next nav update will be, I believe we got one 2 months ago? I do know it will be free. Try another car manufacturer and see how that works out.

KAM6 | 7 december 2019

They also do allow you to update your maps for a small fee $120 for Hyundai. Per update.

KAM6 | 7 december 2019

How can you afford a mach e but not a outdoor outlet for your car?

M3phan | 7 december 2019

You can also opt to not use AP features while driving through newer areas of town… Actually use your own hands and feet and eyeballs until maps are updated.

KAM6 | 7 december 2019

My bad FISHE

KAM6 | 7 december 2019

On topic: Tesla provides map updates for free...

daddy88 | 7 december 2019

On my local street the speed sign limit is 25mph for many years. Tesla's map is 35mph (I think that was the speed years ago) and it will auto set cruise to 35mph if you try. I made map request updates in that open source mapping site supposedly used by Tesla weeks ago, not sure when the update will get rolled in. FSD would need to be able to be able to read speed signs and take whichever speed is slower compared to map data.

KAM6 | 7 december 2019

I was under the impression they used Google maps

M3phan | 7 december 2019

They are using google maps.

casun | 7 december 2019

FISHEV is a known troll who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please disregard his posts and do not engage.

Tesla2018 | 7 december 2019

Fishev- I have my car set to 9 mph over the speed limit. If the car thinks that you are going over the speed limit it beeps. I have never had it automatically speed up or down on a highway when the speed limit changes except to slow down on an exit ramp. On my way to work, it goes from 65 to 70 to 60 to 70 in a 10 mile stretch. If I am doing 65 when I turn on the cruise control it stays at 74 all the time during my entire trip. Do you needto have it on autopilot with the one solid line in order for it to speed up or slow down? Or since the speed limit changes every few weeks to 60 depending on where they are working on the highway does it not bother to make adjustments?

In any case you can either slow down or speed up within a second if this happens assuming you are paying attention like you are suppossed to do with any beta program.

loomitch | 8 december 2019

Does FISHEV have nothing better to do with their life?

Tesla2018 | 8 december 2019

Fish must get paid by the post by Ford to diss Tesla.
He needs to keep posting in order to make the downpayment on his Mustang.

gparrot | 8 december 2019

Unfortunately for a few of you, FISHEV is right on the money with this. To wit: when I exit the highway at 115km/h, I and normal drivers would coast down to 100, 90, 80 and finally reach 70km/h on the road that leads home. Since the 3 is designed to slow down at set points on the map, it’ll ‘slam’ the brakes down to 70, then accelerate to 90, then slow down again to 80 and finally reaches that aforementioned road at 50, only to once again accelerate to 70 (speed limit).
It feels like during the last map update, one programmer set speed limitations at some non-descript points but forgot to erase the points set by the previous programmer, resulting in an accel-deccel motion during the ~500m length of the off-ramp.
The last time I took this exit, I was tailgated by a BMW 325 who in turn had to slam his breaks to compensate for the rapidly diminishing distance between his and my bumper as the 3 was suddenly decelerating to 70. Thankfully, the 3 started accelerating to 90 again and that helped to avoid a fender bender.
I could see in my rear view mirror that the Beemer driver was running down his daily allotment of four letter expletives and I’m sure Teslas and white haired retirees would not be on his current and future Xmas list.

hokiegir1 | 8 december 2019

Surface streets are limited to +5 when on AP (TACC and autosteer), so the car will adjust on these ...but they are also noted as not ideal/recommened for current AP capability. So while they are available and will help contribute additional data, one should be hyper-aware when using the features in these areas. A speed limit of 50mph implies non-highway surface streets, as nearly every interstate in the country is at least a 55mph limit with many higher than that (excluding construction areas and changeable limits for rush hour).

Magic 8 Ball | 8 december 2019

I love seeing red faced Bimmer drivers in my rear view, is it just me?

FISHEV | 8 december 2019

"Do you need to have it on autopilot with the one solid line in order for it to speed up or slow down?"

Adaptive cruise is on if that's what you mean by "autopilot". The cruise seems to reset itself now and then, consistency not being a strong suit for AP functions, and it has done so by speeding up one time and slowing down another.

Adaptive cruise alone should NEVER do that. I suspect bleed over from FSD function needs. A bug in AP is a feature in FSD.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 8 december 2019

Right after one of those events, file a bug report.

jerrykham | 8 december 2019

About the inaccurate speeds - yes, I've seen many of those. Our residential neighborhood (25 MPH limit always since it was built) had 45 showing in the car for about 6 months. Just the other day, as I was taking an interchange between CA highway 4 and US I80 the speed limit in the car showed 85 MPH on the interchange. That was pretty funny as I don't even think there are any 85 MPH areas in CA anymore (I know there are some 70 or 75 ones on US I5 - not sure of any higher ones). So normally, on an interchange like that, the vehicle would slow down some. On many other interchanges around my area it will go from my set 70 or 72 down to 60 or 55 and then back up after the interchange. But of course it doesn't slow down when it think the speed limit went up to 85.

Magic 8 Ball | 8 december 2019

Tried to set destination for Milliways, car did not understand, broken?

SteveWin1 | 8 december 2019

Just did a pretty long drive today. It definitely does slow down to dangerously slow speeds on the freeway in some places. It's not that hard to press the accelerator, but it would be nice if the maps we're a little more up to date. Seems like Tesla could actually generate and sell their own map information with their fleet of sensor-covered cars constantly driving around. They need to get speed limit sign reading to work and allow us to report inaccuracies (bug report does not result in map changes in my experience).

M3phan | 8 december 2019

@ gparrot, so I assume after that happened to you the first time you (1) filed a bug report and (2) disengaged AP on exit ramps until improvement is reported.
I personally disengage on exit ramps because of rapid deceleration which isn’t always needed. Not a big problem either, just flick up baby!

M3phan | 8 december 2019

I also anticipate that Nav on AP fit surface streets will improve this.

Tronguy | 8 december 2019

Public Service Announcement.

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or, Doubt
about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.

Tronguy | 8 december 2019

As far as Google Maps goes.. No question that the map database is not always up to date, even when using the cell-phone variant of same for GPS mapping. The Waze stuff has an easier way of getting speed limit variations; as a result, there's fewer errors and they tend to get cleared faster on Waze than with Google Maps. Then, eventually, Waze data makes it way into Google data, etc.

Sparky | 8 december 2019

The NAV map is theory. The view out the front windshield is reality. When theory conflicts with reality, reality always wins.

bp | 8 december 2019

@Sparky couldn’t agree more.

M3phan | 8 december 2019

Reminds me of this from The Office:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DOW_kPzY_JY

keith | 8 december 2019

Here in Oz, there are many shortcomings in the speed data in Google maps. For example, freeway on-ramps are treated as 80km/h roads, even though one should be accelerating to freeway speed at this point. Many changes to speed limits have not made it through to the map data, and in some places it is just wrong eg 5km/h instead of 50km/h. With all this, it is still far better than having nothing. I'm just looking forward to the day when the adaptive cruise control will change as we pass from one speed zone to another!

gparrot | 9 december 2019

M3phan: considering I live in Qc, I’ve chosen French as my car’s UI. Verbally sending Bug Reports NEVER worked for me. I’ve recently learned how to do it correctly: I must first say "Send bug reports" in English, and the rest of the report can be articulated in any language!
If there is another way to send Bug Reports, teach me, I hate talking to an inanimate object!

That being now said, I very rarely use NoAP cuz I don’t trust it, but yes, I now disengage any form of automation when I do use it, when transiting from one area to another.

M3phan | 9 december 2019

“Bug report” in English first?! Wow that’s cumbersome for sure.

jowilson8888 | 12 december 2019

I guess I appreciate y'all's comments about maps and AP feature. But I don't have AP. I'm just using the Nav to get to where I'm driving. When the maps are wrong or missing information, I can't do that, and have to use my iPhone instead. Just wondering if and when Tesla will update their maps to current conditions in Austin, TX -- we have lots of Teslas here.