Forums

Model 3 Performance Range loss from Holiday update

Model 3 Performance Range loss from Holiday update

Right after the holiday update I lost 19 miles of range. The car will only charge to 290 instead of 310 and 262 @90%

Called Tesla support but they were not helpful. I also found others with the same exact issue @ Tesla motor club website. This is only a issue with model 3 performance from what I can tell.

howard | 2 januari 2020

My P3D+ is 18 months old with 18k miles. I am down to about 264 miles at 90%. It has been losing about 1 mile per month of charge capacity. The batteries degrade per full charge cycle and is normal.

yudansha™ | 2 januari 2020

@howard I’m at ~258

jimglas | 2 januari 2020

its an estimate based upon your driving.
Your battery is fine

@jimglas So I drive just like Howard? Seriously?

sidetracked1 | 2 januari 2020

My brand new M3 Performance is steady at 262 at 90%, so seems to track with your experience.

MichMan | 2 januari 2020

I just picked up my M3P, built in 12/19, on Saturday the 12/28/19. I drove it home from Chicago to MI about 170mi and I have put another 60mi or so on it. I have been getting a charge up to 260 or so at 90%. Today, I tried the 100% charge and range says 291. Charge also stops at 99%. I emailed support, but no word back. I would think they would get back pronto as I can still give them the car back (inside a week and far away from 1000mi).

Well, ours was showing ~310 originally, then ~300, etc. I’m totally different climates/geographic locations.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 2 januari 2020

I love reading new posts about same thing every day.

*in

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

@michman I am from Michigan as well. Support doesn’t care. They don’t see a problem and seem that they are sick of people calling.

I’ve been told to go off % not epa mileage. I don’t understand if we supposed to charge to 310 why we are not getting it.

Get this I sat in vehicle while the holiday update
Completed the car was at 189 miles right after update and the car rebooted it went to 170... then full charge is 292

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

@michman my car is only 12 days old.

stingray.don | 2 januari 2020

Every software update there are claims that the update lowered range. What you rarely hear about is when the range just as mysteriously bounces back. It goes up and it goes down. Mine goes up and down by 12 miles or 4%. There isn’t some software developer at Tesla shaving off miles while laughing maniacally “BWAHAHAHAHA!”

It is just an estimate that is influenced by external factors including temperature. It is not a measure of battery health. We need to keep in mind that battery capacity is notoriously difficult to measure precisely. The BMS can only provide an approximation of battery capacity. Changes around 5% is within the margin of error and should not be a cause of concern. Please stop obsessing over a non-issue and wasting Tesla’s time. Your battery is fine!

https://www.tesla.com/support/range

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

Also, the question has come up on people In CA where cold isn’t a factor.

I’ve heard that they re rates the model 3 performance for 299..can anyone confirm?

Rated range is just what the EPA determined with independent testing. As they say, your mileage may vary. If you are obsessed with range, then get a dual motor long range with 18” aero wheels and covers and start hypermiling. You have a P - for God’s sake just drive it like you stole it and have fun! I’ve owned quite a few Corvettes and never once did I worry about my MPG versus what was on the sticker!

NorthValley | 2 januari 2020

A steady 262 at 90% here. Was 279 but I assume it has adjusted for driving habits, temperature etc after being delivered about a month ago.

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

Well this explains it. It sounds like they are going to re rate it at 299

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29741451/tesla-model-3-performanc...

garretn | 2 januari 2020

MichMan & Bcamerella - M3P+ is almost exactly the same as you guys. 90% 260-261 100% 291. The car is 15 months old and has 31k miles on it.

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

@garrentn I agree with you but literally right before update I was 279@90 and 310@100

WEST TEX EV | 2 januari 2020

@ Bcamerella

Aerodynamics explain this? Or heavier wheels?

sidetracked1 | 2 januari 2020

@ West Tex EV

Per Road&Track, and other articles it's a mix of wheel weight, wheel aerodynamics, and the fact that bigger wheels/tires, while having better grip, are inherently less efficient, taking more effort to roll. If you check out the R&T link above, you'll see they give a the EPA breakdown on each wheel type and its effect on mileage. For example the 19 inch wheels do better than the 20 inch, but less well than the 18.

Personally, I love the handling on the 20 inch wheels and I'm fine with the small trade off in range/efficiency. But - emotionally, if not literally in this case - YMMV :-)

WEST TEX EV | 2 januari 2020

Agree. My M3P less efficient and has lifetime avg about 306Wh/mi. 8250 mi or so. But love every minute!! Good trade off for 0-60 approx 3s!

bcmusik | 2 januari 2020

@stingray_don
While I understand your point and many others like you who usually give the advise of "don't worry about it" I think it's important for people to continue to CALL TESLA - schedule an appointment if need be. I say this because it's confusing and has been for a long time. Many people buy these cars because they hear how great the range is so they spend what they can getting a car with the "range" they expect to get only to find ... it's damn near never what they thought they'd get (sometime close, sometime not).Tesla is a smart company that makes software for their hardware. Maybe if they get enough grief from customers they'll come up with a better way in software to give guidance as to what the cars range is under various circumstances. They gave us plenty of new games - maybe this should get some new attention.

bcmusik,

Tesla did not determine the range. The range was determined by the EPA through their independent testing. If you achieve the EPA rated efficiency wh/mi) on the energy graph you should achieve the rated range or very close to it. The battery meter range estimate is not a measure of battery health. If you feel your battery has an issue, submit a request through the app and they can perform a remote diagnostic.

Kary993 | 2 januari 2020

I have not charged mine in a while above 80% but I used to get about 252@80 and now it fluctuates from 242 to 252 @ 80% depending upon the day. One day it said 256! There has definitely been a change though I don't think it is material just something in the software and range estimation.

AZTesla | 2 januari 2020

I have also seen a reduction in the projection recently, but I figure it is mostly due to the colder temps and the additional load by the car to keep me warm. I suspect it is a coincidence that it changed at the same time as the new software, but I can't be sure. At any rate, I'm not worried...the car continues to drive wonderfully.

MichMan | 2 januari 2020

I know it is just an algorithm and I am not bent on that. Yes since it is so new for me, I am driving irregular too. Taking off is a blast, but then I slow down and try to be efficient. I guess the fact that I can’t charge to 100% was my concern. It only goes to 99.

FISHEV | 2 januari 2020

"Rated range is just what the EPA determined with independent testing."

Bit more complicated than that. The EPA Rated Range is a number picked by Tesla after the EPA tests. Tesla can understate what the car got but cannot over state it.

You can see this with the recent upgrade on the LR AWD which Tesla uprated to 322 vs. original 310. The Model 3 likely got 340 on the EPA tests and Tesla is being conservative by assigning a lower number initially and then incrementally releasing more range if the car is doing well and the reserve is not needed.

The LR AWD P and the regular LR AWD were initially rated the same at 310 but the higher performance and the less efficient wheels/tires would mean the P would get less range. Tesla just used it's "bank" miles to keep the two the same.

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

Now go to epa website and it states model 3 performance is 299 when Teslas website states
310. So Tesla is is under stating the ability of the model 3 performance

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42281

Sorry FISHEV but that is wrong. EPA rated range for the 2020 AWD LR is 322 just as advertised by Tesla. Here is the undeniable proof.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42275

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

Stingray don there is a article out there that states Tesla under estimated the range. Let me find it

Bcamerella,

That might be the case, FISHEV’s example was in error as I pointed out and linked to the EPA site.

WM3P+ | 2 januari 2020

Gotcha!

Scrannel | 3 januari 2020

FWIW... 2019 (Sept) M3P, when set to 80% reports 278 miles. Have all current updates.

stingray.don | 3 januari 2020

Scrannel | January 3, 2020
FWIW... 2019 (Sept) M3P, when set to 80% reports 278 miles. Have all current updates.

That sounds appropriate for 90% but not 80%

That sounds appropriate for 90% but not 80%
------------------------

I could be wrong, let me check this morning. But when I took deliver of the car was told it was set at 80%. Now, not seeing a % of charge -- is that now hidden?

howard | 3 januari 2020

Mine has been very consistent within a couple of miles. The roll off is pure battery chemistry and does not alarm me unless It dropped substantially. The software updates have not had any real impact. I think the estimate algorithms might be reset but it does not take more than a charge or two to put it back to “normal”. My GMs have been more consistent but GM underates the batteries and has leaves more room at both ends of the charge discharge cycles so I think the normal degradation is more hidden. I think Tesla is closer to the battery limit especially with the recent increases for non performance.

OK, just charged my M3P to "100%" and says 310 mi. Again, FWIW.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 3 januari 2020

Testimonial: FEESHICE is a known troll who has repeatedly claimed Tesla's planned Supercharger expansion would end in a manner that was incomplete and inadequate despite how they have much more adequate and more readily available sights than does Electrify America. It is highly recommended that his posts be flagged, ignored, or skipped since he typically posts inaccurate data that is purposely misinformative. Basically, he lies.

WM3P+ | 3 januari 2020

I can now only charge to 99%

WM3P+ | 3 januari 2020

MichMan Any word from support

sveerara22 | 3 januari 2020

Have the SAME problem. My 90% is 262, 100% is 290 (I never charge to 100% except this time as a test). I did contact Tesla and opened a ticket but their response was 'all is good w/the battery" and "redirected to customer education". I find this really odd; my battery also will only charge to 99% and won't go to 100%.
Waiting on next steps so I can request further clarification.

sveerara22,

If Tesla says your battery is fine, then your battery is just fine. The battery meter range is just an estimate that will be influenced by external factors including temperature. Additionally, battery capacity cannot be precisely measured outside of a controlled in a laboratory environment, thus it has a significant margin of error. It is not an indicator of battery health. Set the battery meter to % and stop obsessing over it.

Thanks for the response, stingray.don - appreciate your insights! I feel it might be better to know the range so you have an idea how much you can drive (miles/kms) as a safety thing, whereas %age can sometimes be misleading and hard to guess. Am I missing something or looking at this incorrectly?

I'll keep you posted when Tesla reaches out to me and gives me any suggestions/ideas etc. One person on Twitter said their rep asked them to go to < 30% then all the way to 100% for about a month and then they'd regain the range. So many different views from techs from the same company, just doesn't give me much comfort.
Thanks again for the response.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 3 januari 2020

Gosh, people calm down already with range worries. You literally own best range car on the market.

WM3P+ | 3 januari 2020

sveerara22 add me in Twitter M3P2020 please keep me in the loop!

As a test I charged my battery to max for the first time this morning and got 310. FWIW

WM3P+ will do
Scrannel - precisely my point - this entire thing makes no sense at all. All we're asking for is simple clarification for this behavior

Scrannel - what year and trim (MR, LR AWD, Perf etc.) is your 3, and how many miles on it?

yudansha™ | 3 januari 2020

I used to charge only once to reach my destination, now I have to charge twice. What's the point of whether it is % or miles?

sveerara22 | January 3, 2020
Thanks for the response, stingray.don - appreciate your insights! I feel it might be better to know the range so you have an idea how much you can drive (miles/kms) as a safety thing, whereas %age can sometimes be misleading and hard to guess. Am I missing something or looking at this incorrectly?

The fundamental problem is that the battery meter is based on EPA numbers. Your range will be different based on environmental factors and driving style. For example, cold weather or rain, you will not possibly get EPA numbers. Instead, use the energy graph for your range estimate because that is based on your actual driving conditions.

Keep in mind that the car does all of this for you. On a long trip, if you use the navigation to your destination, the UI will navigate to the best charging option. It will even tell you a recommended slower speed if it calculates that you are coming up short. So let the car worry about the range and you can just enjoy the ride.

Pages