Forums

Web based monitoring of solar production/usage

Web based monitoring of solar production/usage

Hi all. I just received a call back from a supervisor at Tesla, letting me know the progress on getting the new web-based reporting system up and running. Some of us have it in our contract that they will, "We provide 24/7 web-enabled monitoring at no additional cost to you, as specified in the agreement." yet, just getting off the phone with the supervisor, that this will not happen this year. This is on both page 1 and on page 3, under Section (b) (ii).

I know that they have told me since before last August 1st, 2019 that they are working on getting a web-enabled monitoring in place and yet, no estimate time when we will be getting this.

Just wondering from those that have this language in there contract, what your feelings are in regards to not having the web-enabled monitoring?

coolidge200 | 4 februari 2020

Hi bruceaspring,

I am a former Solar City customer. Solar City's website provided all of that great data for monitoring your system production, and trending and provided download capability for that information via a .csv file.
I am disappointed that Tesla isn't keeping that existing service up and running. As you probably know, they say that the users can get that data via the smartphone app.

As for me, I don't want another app. My phone is 5 years old and it struggles to have enough space for pictures and personally important stuff, let alone another app. Additionally, I also want to be able to keep that data for trending and cost estimating on my desktop box, not my smartphone. So, I have sent emails to Tesla asking that they bring that back.
I can't image why the forward-looking Tesla won't provide that. Maybe cyber security concerns, and trying to limit the number of attack avenues? We can't be the only ones who want web-based access to our Tesla accounts.

smaches | 5 februari 2020

Hummm...
I still have access to the solarguard.solarcity.com feed from my inverter, but alas - there's no consumption data since I had no power blaster installed anyway.

Jones | 5 februari 2020

The IOS app is 77 MB. It does not store significant data on the phone (I have my app linked to Powerwalls and a Model 3) and there additional storage space on the phone is less than 10 MB for a total of 85.3 MB
Data downloads as csv files are easily sent via email, text message attachment or saved to files so that you can store , analyze and manage the data elsewhere.

bruceaspring | 13 februari 2020

JONES How do you get those csv file sent to you?

j.bowden | 13 februari 2020

I am afraid it is the old send it to yourself workaround.
(use Tesla app on phone to save data to your phone, then use use email app
on phone to send email with attachment to yourself, then sit at your PC, open your
email and save the attachment to the PC)

You could save the email steps using a file manager on the phone like ES File Explorer
but still plenty clumsy.

bp | 14 februari 2020

If you have a smart meter, there may be a website where you can download the grid activity (electricity to/from the grid).

I've been able to download up to 2 years of historical data (at 15 minute intervals), which is very useful when considering different options for electricity plans (such as net metering buyback, free nights, ...).

Combining this data with solar panel and PowerWall activity from the Tesla app would provide additional information (though it may be at a different time interval).

bennicofflea10 | 27 februari 2020

I don`t use a smart phone. SO now because they don`t provide the information to my computer I`m out of luck. I think they need to bring it back since we are paying so much for the leasing and the payments go up every year.

cwclifford | 6 maart 2020

Try this: https://solarguard.solarcity.com/

Hope you remember your login!

tmjtwilson | 8 maart 2020

Tesla sent me a gateway device to help monitor/track the solar production of our system However it seems unable to connect itself to something as I get a continuous error message on my phone, all the while it is showing me production data for the previous week Any thoughts on this? I worked back through the install steps several times to no avail

Patrick | 8 maart 2020

Please say more about the “gateway device” - what did they send you? Something different from the normal TEG provided with all systems?

gregbrew | 8 maart 2020

The TEG (Tesla Energy Gateway) is only provided for Powerwall (PW) installations.

The TEG is the large box mounted on the wall next to your main electrical panel and (if installed) backed-up circuit electrical panel. It *controls* energy flow, measures current flow via current transformers (CTs), and reports the info back to the Tesla servers via cell (AT&T), WiFi to the residential network, or Ethernet to the residential network. You see this production (if PV is installed) and consumption data using the Tesla app.

The Communications Gateway is a little box (either black or white), about the size of a couple of stacked paperback books. You'll see these devices in PV installations, and they report PV production info from the inverter. (The inverter-provided data is revenue-grade, and is very accurate.) The Com Gateway works best if it's line-of-sight with the inverter, and is inside the residence. It talks to the inverter via the ZigBee wireless standard, and communicates with the residence *wired* Ethernet back to the Tesla servers, for reporting via the Tesla app.

For consumption information *some* Com Gateway-equipped PV-only installations also have a PowerBlaster device installed in the main electrical panel. The PowerBlaster measures power flow to and from the grid (via CTs), and reports this info back to the Com Gateway. This data, along with production data from the inverter, is used at the Tesla servers to determine residential consumption by doing some simple math. PowerBlasters have proven problematic in some installations because of residential wiring limitations or local building codes. This is why many PV-only installations don't have PowerBlasters, and can't get consumption data through the Tesla app.

I got PV-only in late 2015, have a Com Gateway, but do not have a PowerBlaster, so I didn't get consumption data via the MySolarCity site.

In early 2019, I got two PWs, with the TEG included, added to my system. I now get consumption data, as well as production data. Interestingly, since Ive got two independent production reporting systems (Com Gateway and TEG), they always disagree in production numbers by about 2%. I use the Com Gateway data (it's still out there, if you know where to look) for system production tracking. There's a very skilled user here (Noam) that did some fancy things to get the Com Gateway data directly, starting back in the days of the old SolarGuard web interface. That data is still out there (and updated), too, if you know where to look. I use the SolarGuard data, as it agrees exactly with whats on the front of my inverter. Tesla no longer supports either the SolarGuard or MySolarCity web sites.

gerafinnes | 16 maart 2020

What your feelings are in regards to not having the web-enabled monitoring?
https://texttwist2.co/