Forums

Anyone have 2 Teslas charging with 110 volts?

Anyone have 2 Teslas charging with 110 volts?

I've been doing fine with my AWD, over 4 months charging with 110 volts only. I was told my garage has a 20 amp circuit. My wife is waiting for her model Y. I'm assuming, I can only charge one car at a time, right? Yes, I know I can install a 240 outlet.

in7 | 15 februari 2020

Plug the 2nd Tesla into a different socket that is on a different circuit. You could buy a 50 ft 12 gauge extension cord to make things reach.

kevin_rf | 15 februari 2020

Most garages don't have a second circuit. Everything is usually tied to the same breaker.

If the OP does get an electrician, a 240v circuit is his best option.

lessrandom | 15 februari 2020

Upgrading to high amperage charging is great, you'll never regret it.

Tesla2018 | 15 februari 2020

Some garages have a 20 amp plug on the ceiling for a garage door opener that is on a different circuit. You could get one of the things that plugs in and makes one outlet into two. Plug the garage door opener into one, and the mobile charger into the other. Then plug the other mobile charger into a wall outlet.

The garage door opener and the charger usually are not usually both being used at the same time since the car is either plugged in after the door is opened and closed after getting home, or the door is opened and closed after unplugging the car in the morning. This way you don't trip a circuit breaker.

Earl and Nagin ... | 16 februari 2020

I would say that the OP will most likely be blowing breakers trying to charge 2 Teslas from the 120v available in the garage. Its time to get an electrician to upgrade the garage if at all possible.

Sarah R | 16 februari 2020

@dh91108

There's dozens of ways to "Mickey Mouse" a solution. In this case, there's more than one right way:

Hire an electrician to install a wall charger. Optimally you'd install two. In your case it might actually be worthwhile to install a dedicated meter for your EV charging, then install two wall chargers, hard wired.

Just about anything else would preclude lower charging rates from your utility and be a hassle because you'd be jockeying cars in the middle of the night. And someone is leaving in the morning with a cold battery.

in7 | 16 februari 2020

The original poster already said "I know I can install a 240 volt outlet".
So if the original poster is connecting the 2nd Tesla to a different outlet and circuit, that different outlet and circuit will probably not be located in the garage, but in a different room in the house instead. A 50 ft 12 gauge extension cord can help make it reach, but might have to route that out and in some windows to make that happen.
I've had to choose some "Minnie Mouse" solutions myself sometimes.

andy.connor.e | 16 februari 2020

Highly suggest higher that 6kW charger so that cold temperatures do not cause your car not to charge.

gballant4570 | 16 februari 2020

To the OP: Don't plan on charging two Tesla's on one 120V circuit. Install two 240V 30A circuits, one for each car. One way to cut that back would be to install one circuit, and manage your charging so that it is not concurrent. Two circuits could also cut back to 20A if your overall supply load center is challenged, and if you've been limping along on 120V 20A it will seem luxurious anyway.

Pg3ibew | 16 februari 2020

I have a few silly questions. Does your house only have 110v service? Rare but possible.
Do you only have 1 single garage? Very possible. But then you wouldbt be asking about charging 2 cars at one time.
You are buying a 2nd 40 thousand dollar car, which means 80 grand, minimum, worth of cars. Why are you afraid to spend 2-3 grand for 2 Wall chargers and an electrician? Where I come from, we call that penny wise and dollar foolish. Or, in other words, CHEAP AS ALL FUCK.

@Pg3ibew,
Lighten up on the OP. Clearly, 120v has been sufficient for him/her until now. It was a reasonable question. Your initial suggestions were spot on.
Don't throw insults.

dh91108 | 16 februari 2020

Thanks for all the responses. Lots more choices to consider. I have breakers that trip frequently, not sure if I need to upgrade the panel? I just wanted to know if it was possible since I average about 30 miles a day, and I'm getting about 60 miles charged per 12 hour night. Was hoping I could wait, and see how it goes.

Sorry, I don't know the total service, 100 or 200 amps? All the plugs are 110v, but you say that's rare?

I'm still confused about getting 2 Wall charges. What is the advantage versus just one or two 240v circuits.

Two circuits so you can charge two cars at once. One circuit is rated for 30 amps. So if you're charging one car at 30 amps, you cant plug anything else onto that circuit.

If you have breakers that trip frequently, its either because they are being overloaded or the wires are so old that its short circuiting somewhere in the run. Either way, sounds like you dont have enough circuits in your house. Its the same as my house really. I've got a 60 year old panel more than likely original with the house, that has a 60A main. All the outlets are tied together to eachother, like my garage doors are on the same circuit as bedrooms, and upstairs/downstairs circuits are tied together. Maybe i'll get the placed rewired but in the mean time, im upgrading to a 200A panel to support everything properly, and to have space for my EV charger in a couple years.

@dh91108,
If you're blowing breakers, you're already in danger of an electrical fire burning your house down. While it is likely to be a bit expensive, I don't think you have a safe choice other than to get a good electrician in to evaluate and probably update some or all of your house electrical system.
Remember, that a breaker blows as a safety net to protect some fault somewhere in your house. This means that you actually have faults in your house, meaning you're regularly using your safety net. If the safety net faults, you've got nothing protecting you.
Please, fix it for your own safety. While doing that, you might as well get a couple of extra 240v/40amp circuits set up to power a couple of charging stations for your garage.

Breakers also trip because you're drawing more current than they are rated for. Not necessarily a fault, but we dont know the conditions. I had a breaker trip yesterday because my tenant left a space heater on while he was gone and i was running the vacuum upstairs.

But to your point, what dh91108 should anticipate is that hes going to have to run some more circuits, which arent cheap. Try to do it all at the same time if u have to. Im getting an in wall heater on a dedicated circuit installed so i dont have to worry about overloading circuits since my house is wired pretty asinine.

@andy,
I'd say that trying to run a space heater and a vacuum on the same circuit that, can't handle them both at the same time, is a fault. Anything that causes too much current to be drawn from a circuit is a fault, whether a short or operator mistake. A house fire doesn't care what caused the fault.

The breaker is tripping because there is more than 12A being pulled on an 80% rated 15A breaker. The wire is 14 gauge which is rated for 15A continuous draw, meaning a couple hours, the breaker as well. The breaker trips to prevent the wire from getting hot that would cause a fire. There is a fundamental difference between a fault and a trip.

"Anything that causes too much current to be drawn from a circuit is a fault"

Read up on the difference between a short and a fault:
https://www.thespruce.com/short-circuit-vs-ground-fault-1152505

A breaker tripping is not automatically a fault. The error is the amount of power put on one circuit is more than the breaker and wires are rated to handle.

Earl and Nagin ... | 18 februari 2020

@andy,
A "ground-fault" as described by your link, is only one kind of fault. There are many other kinds of faults. Merriam Webster defines 'fault' as: "a physical or intellectual imperfection or impairment : DEFECT"
Putting more "power on one circuit" that is "more than the breaker and wires are rated to handle" would be an 'overload fault'. A short-circuit would be one possible cause of an 'overload fault' but is not the only possible cause,
A breaker will not trip without some sort of overload fault, either with the circuit going through it or the breaker itself.
A ground fault probably won't be handled by a circuit breaker.

andy.connor.e | 18 februari 2020

Do you understand why the breaker is tripping? There is no reason to argue semantics.

Earl and Nagin ... | 18 februari 2020

@andy,
You may have noticed that the OP said "I have breakers that trip frequently". This means that there are likely to be problems that need fixed.
I brought this up so that the OP would realize the electrical wiring could still be at risk with or without 2 cars plugged in and the house could be in danger.

Could be bad wiring or overloading breakers. OP would need to respond and shed some more light on their situation. We've touched on this already. OP should get an electrician in there to evaluate his situation.

bjrosen | 18 februari 2020

You have a $100K or more worth of cars, spend 1K to install a wall connector. Look at it this way, it's the same price as the paint option. A Tesla Wall Charger only costs $500, my electrician charged me $750 to run a 60A 240V line and install the EVSE, so $1250 total. Several years ago he only charged me $375 yo install a ClipperCreek but that was part of a bigger project. You will be much happier if you have a wall charger, not only is it much much faster it's also much easier because all you have to do is take the cable off of the wall.

If I were you I'd install a pair of wall chargers, one of each car, it will make things simpler. I have two EVSEs, a Tesla for my Model 3 and a ClipperCreek for my Volt.

Techy James | 18 februari 2020

@dh91108, the advantage of 2 Tesla Wall Chargers plugged in through one Circuit of 240V 30 - 60amp is the two chargers will communicate and give priority to the vehicle of the lowest charge. By installing a dedicated charger line to your garage, you can in event you ever decide to sale, list it as EV ready. So having a Dedicated EV line professionally installed can actually result in a value add to your location.

dh91108 | 18 februari 2020

This is a problem unrelated to my Tesla. I did have an electrician change the AFCI breaker to my master bedroom. I have isolated the problem to my kitchen range hood. For some reason, when I turn on the range hood, it sometimes but not always, will trip my master bedroom breaker. The electrician says, since the problem still exists, it might be something about sparks from the range hood, but he advised just changing the AFCI to regular breaker. He said it's 2 separate circuits and I should be fine, but not to code? I'm thinking maybe I should get a new range hood, hoping that will solve the problem.

bjrosen | 18 februari 2020

I think you need a new electrician. Any electrician who says it's fine but not to code is an electrician that I would want nothing to do with. The whole point of hiring a professional is to get it done right. Those codes exist for a reason.

If your range hood is tripping the breaker something is wrong, bad ground, bad connection. A range hood has a low power fan and a low power light, it shouldn't be a problem for a properly functioning circuit. Switching out the AFCI breaker for a regular breaker is the modern equivalent of putting a penny in the fuse box.

bryan.whitton | 18 februari 2020

Just a note. When I had my main service panel upgrade from a 100 Amp to a 200 Amp unit I had him install a 14-50R with 6AWG wire and a separate 20 120 Vac receptacle right next to it. With this I can charge either the Leaf quickly or the M3 quickly while still putting something into the other car. It is a working compromise for us.

bryan.whitton | 18 februari 2020

@bjrosen ground on a typical receptacle ground means nothing to the operation of the circuit. It is for bonding not the circuit itself. The black or red wire and neutral(white) are all that are needed for operation.
Having said that you are right about the electrician. If I am paying an electrician for a installation I want it right and to code. NEC code is for fire prevention. It may work but it may not protect my home from burning down.

@dh91108 In spite of what he says are they on the same circuit? That should never happen. All circuits in a kitchen require a dedicated OCPD for safe operation. Another note, AFCI breakers are notorious for false tripping. What are you running with your range hood? Just the fan? Fan and light? LED or incandescent? What is running in the master bedroom circuit when this happens? I have seen older toasters trip AFCI breakers under normal operation so be aware AFCI breakers aren't fool proof.

Now this is going to sound strange but I have been able to clean up the circuit to stop false tips by putting a 22 microfarad capacitor between L1 and Neutral and L2 and Neutral and that stopped the tripping. I actually have one on my desk if I could take a picture and post it here I could. Just a simple filter to stop Nuisance trips.

Just my $.02 worth.

@dh91108

Couple possible things. Fan could be bad. Motors have an inrush meaning they draw a huge amount of current many times their normal operating current in the first tenths to 1 or 2 seconds. Possible that the fan motor is bad.

But considering its your range hood, its also likely that the hood is leaking and water is getting between the wires and causing a short every now and then. Do not, and i mean, do NOT play around with this. It hasnt happened yet but its only a matter of time. Get the electrician in there and pull the hood down and take a look. If you can get into your attic look at the range hood penetrating your roof for leaks.

crmedved | 19 februari 2020

If you do end up getting electrical work done, NEMA 6-20R receptacles are also an option. They might be cheaper for your electrician to run, dunno. They're 240V 20A outlets... since they're ONLY 240V (cannot plug 120V into it), they only need two conductor wires, hence you can use 12/2 Romex wiring (same as a normal 120V 20A outlet), as opposed to 10/3 for a 30A receptacle or a super thick cable for 50A.

The 120V@15A is ~1.4 kW, 240@20A is ~ 3.8 kW, so around 2.5x faster charging with minimal extra current draw, and you won't have to worry much about overloading your electric system. They -should- be on separate circuits, but you could technically limit the charge to 8A on each outlet and get about the same performance as your 120V@15A. The car is supposed to remember your set charge rate based on GPS location. I'm about to put two in my new garage on separate circuits.

andy.connor.e | 19 februari 2020

all this info is unnecessary. Just tell your electrician you want two 20 amp, 240 volt outlets.

shank15217 | 19 februari 2020

I would consider using a wind up power generator connected to your aerobic bike.