Forums

Scratches on Dashboard

Scratches on Dashboard

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't find a concrete answer. I got a few scratches on my dashboard. How? My friend sat in the passenger seat, and she touched the dashboard. That's all. And the marks don't seem to be willing to go away. So far I haven't used anything beside water and microfiber cloth, which hasn't solved the issue. Any ideas/products/methods?

lilbean | 19 februari 2020

I just don’t touch it ever. :(

amirosein | 19 februari 2020

Haha, true. But I really feel bad telling people not to touch my dashboard.

Lonestar10_1999 | 19 februari 2020

Have you considered a dashboard wrap? They seem to be an affordable DIY project. Do a search on Amazon to see a variety of wraps for sale.

amirosein | 19 februari 2020

@Lonestar10_1999 I did a quick search and only found products for the wooden trim. However, the scratches I got are on the vinyl (?) part.

M3phan | 19 februari 2020

@ amirosein, my dash got a nasty scruffy scratch when I gently wiped it with a damp microfiber. I’ve been able to remedy with (1) no longer using microfiber on the dash, (2) use instead a black cotton sock, (3) spraying the following product on the sick and in one direction gently wiping and letting air dry. The product is Black Magic Interior Multi-Surface Detailer, no glare natural finish. After several regular applications over time the scuffing is faded to not noticeable.

Sick=sock

Product has also eliminated a few scuffs on my glovebox too. Same method as above.

lilbean | 19 februari 2020

It also gets faded in the sun. I just try not to look at it.

@ lilbean, mine hasn’t faded yet. I think the Black Magic helps.

Atoms | 20 februari 2020

Aerospace 303 protectant. It will protect and fix the scuffs. Has done wonders in my car. But I only have applied to surfaces with scuffs so far. Been conservative in application, just in case.

numrich | 20 februari 2020

I'll confirm the rec for aerospace 303 protectant

https://www.amazon.com/303-30350-Aerospace-Protectant-32oz/dp/B0000BYMNQ...

This has been noted a couple times on some of the more prominent M3 YouTube poster vids

I apply to full dash, and glove box every few months

comes in a number of similar variants on Amazon, I purchased a version listed as 'for boats' but I suspect the product is essentially the same among the listings

mknewman | 20 februari 2020

My wife left her dark glasses on it a few times. It developed bubbles. I'm not 100% sure it was her but they are lenses and may have caused the bubbling. Anyway took it in and they said some of the early ones did that and ended up replacing it.

Now it rattles. Bleh.

Resist | 20 februari 2020

Don't let friends with bear claw nails touch your dash.