Forums

Corona Virus Public Service Announcement, stay home if you are older

Corona Virus Public Service Announcement, stay home if you are older

EVRider | 7 maart 2020

Interesting that the CDC page referenced by the CNN article doesn't define how old an "older adult" is. Other sources have reported that adults in their 60s are only at higher risk if they have other underlying medical conditions.

Lots of conflicting information our there. The CDC maintains a summary page on their web site that they update frequently, which I've been following: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html

Orthopod | 7 maart 2020

60 years with diabetes, chronic lung and heart disease who do not want to test the 6% fatality rate

FISHEV | 7 maart 2020

"60 years with diabetes, chronic lung and heart disease who do not want to test the 6% fatality rate"

Mortality rate for Covid-19 is about 1% for general populaiton. That's still 10 times more than yearly flu. It's not the age so much as the health condition. BBEV there should hide out until it's over as those are some dangerous conditions to have with Covid-19.

Tesla Forums are probably not the place for misplaced health warnings.

Orthopod | 7 maart 2020

If you have
Diabetes
Chronic lung diseas
Heart disease

It is not 1%

Tesla forums are probably not the place for misplaced health reassurance if you have diabetes, chronic lung and heart disease.

jerrykham | 7 maart 2020

Funny thing - our county in California just sent out a notice that people over 50 should avoid parades, large group events, etc. Apparently they didn't want to say 60+ with other conditions. Just people over 50. Great. I'm in my early 50's and went to a group event today. Guess I'm soon to be dead...

Mike83 | 7 maart 2020

NO one knows the % of infections since they don't know how many people have it. It could be 0.1% Unless you have an immunocompromised body via transplant or heavy drinking, smoking, etc. most cases have been mild. But do take precautions.
Maybe go live in a clean room like (google) Monk in clean room ;-)

Cutting out the hype read this link:

https://ark-invest.com/research/coronavirus

shinytop | 7 maart 2020

This is the millennial equivalent of "Get off my lawn!" Just kidding, I meet two of the conditions and am over 70.

FISHEV | 7 maart 2020

"If you have..."

Eyup...if you have underlying health conditions especially heart and lung it is likely very high mortality. Probably more than 6% but the overall for general population is 1% and that is related not directly to age but the health conditions that occur with aging.

"Is 3.4 percent a misleading number? We spoke to a number of experts in epidemiology, and they all agreed that 1 percent was probably more realistic (the W.H.O. has also said the number would probably fall)."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/07/upshot/how-deadly-is-coro...

A bit more in depth than the CNN scroll bar.

FISHEV | 7 maart 2020

There is one age related factor in Covid-19 and that's kids seem little affected by it. That turned out to be a problem in China as kids would be non-symptomatic and give it to older family members. It's also why the lower mortality number is felt to be most accurate as a lot more people had it vs. the death rate.

FISHEV | 7 maart 2020

" The rate rises in the over-65s, reaching nearly 15% in the over-80s, especially those with pre-existing heart or lung conditions. "

SCCRENDO | 7 maart 2020

Immunity is age related. Our immune systems break down as we get older. Age is all relative but generally 65 and older is considered to be the point of higher mortality with diseases. However people with diabetes, heart and lung diseases as well as those on immunosuppressants like cortisone, anti cancer drugs etc would be at higher risk no matter what age. But we have seen deaths in younger people like the physician in Wuhan. There are likely also a few strains with different virulence.

jimglas | 7 maart 2020

As usual, Fish is wrong

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 7 maart 2020

I’ve done several multi-day fasts. They’re not as hard as you think. Huge immune system boost, study finds.

https://www.flowin.com/index.php?page=blog_post&blog_id=79

FISHEV | 7 maart 2020

"Immunity is age related."

Demographically not individually. A compromised 5 year old is at huge risk vs. a very health 70 yr old.

SCCRENDO | 7 maart 2020

@fish. Agreed. Didn’t I say that? And to our MAGA hatters Neo who is doing the usual Trump thing spreading misinformation, this can be dangerous. So a word of advice. Recommend ignoring any advice from MAGA hatters like Neo and of course Trump and Pence.

Yes, only consider doing whatever Dr Mengele tells you to do. He’s a fucking worthless doctor who would never dream of listening to his superiors in the medical research fields. You’re a goddamn loser, Sccrendo. Piece of shit communist.

SCCRENDO | 7 maart 2020

Just like Trump. A MAGA batter without any medical knowledge offering ignorant medical advice.

SCCRENDO | 7 maart 2020

Correction: MAGA hatter.

jimglas | 7 maart 2020

so the hospital system I used to work in in now on lock down
patients and staff only
no visitors (probably to protect them)
Do you think the idiot in chief will ever admit that it was a mistake to terminate the pandemic response team and gut the CDC?
Nah, he will blame obama and democrats for his actions
And his cult will cheer

Just like a shitty doctor, “I am the lord, thy god. Thou shalt take only from my special potions and elixirs. Without me thou art helpless. Here, have a sample. They’re terrific. And remember, you’re helpless.”
Dick.

jimglas | 7 maart 2020

If I will take you seriously when you go to a polio party

jimglas | 7 maart 2020

Note: no name calling
just facts

“ If I will take you seriously when you go to a polio party”
Poor sentence structure. D-

Your point is made, though, Jimglass. Disregard every new idea that scientists in research labs publish.
Wash your Hands.
Don’ touch your face.
Thats about it. I guess your immune system is what it is at this point.
Oh, and panick!

jimglas | 7 maart 2020

Is “panick” “good sentence structure”?

Orthopod | 8 maart 2020

Grammar arguments on forums is like a tank on the battlefield in WW1.

rxlawdude | 8 maart 2020

But content arguments on forums is like Fat Boy and Little Man.

sabbia | 8 maart 2020

Oooo Neo. Love it when you talk dirty.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 8 maart 2020

Sorry sabbia. I lose it when certain doctors get a god complex.

No Jim, "Panick" is poetic justice. Touche to you, Sir.

sabbia | 8 maart 2020

No Neo. You lost it when the god complex manifested itself in "I am the chosen one." Or, "only I can fix it."

@sabbia,
que?

SCCRENDO | 8 maart 2020

Instead of listening to a potty mouthed MAGA hatter or believing dear leader Donald or his appointee Mike Pence who voted against needle exchange programs during the HIV scares here is a 20 minute video rom someone who knows what he is talking about to give everyone a good perspective. There is is definitely reasons to be concerned and care needs to be taken. But we are suffering from a pandemic of fear and panic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH-8zhCgxtQ

”But we are suffering from a pandemic of fear and panic”

Well said.

jimglas | 8 maart 2020

Neo, Presenting facts in now a "god complex"
You really need to evaluate the source of your fear and loathing
I guess to the fact averse it may appear that way

I suppose you support dear leader opposing the recommendations of the CDC and the best that our science has to offer?

@jimglas,
The god complex I was referring to is about SCCRENDO thinking he is always right on all health related topics because he is a doctor. That is the god complex. SCCRENDO produced zero facts to refute a study I had linked (not my study but that of Prof Valter Longo, Professor of Gerontology and the Biological Sciences at the University of California). Somehow, the fact that I (Neo) had linked this article has negated the research that was done by Prof Longo, at least in SCCRENDO's eyes. It is amazing how narrow minded an actual doctor of medicine can be assuming SCCRENDO is actually a doctor and not just playing one on an internet car forum.
I chose to link this article to your post because it offers something that has been proven to strengthen our immune systems which is on topic with your post. If nobody has the intestinal fortitude to do a few days of fasting for health benefits then so be it.

P.s. FWIW, two years of low carb eating with intermittent fasting has lowered my total cholesterol by 40 points while raising my HDL by 15. Testosterone levels are above the upper level for my age group (zero supplementation). This way of eating/living is not bizarre or radical, you just can't think like the typical fat American couch potato.

SCCRENDO | 8 maart 2020

@Neo. I am familiar with your diets and they are or another time and another forum. This is about corona virus and your diets have jack shit to do with it. As stated before I could care less what you think about me. You are not worth the futile time and effort.

@Dr Poop, strengthening the immune system in the midst of a “pandemic” is 100% on topic. Stop being a jackass and come onboard for the big win!

FISHEV | 8 maart 2020

”But we are suffering from a pandemic of fear and panic”

Actually we are in a real pandemic. As for fear and panic, actually everyone seems to behaving fairly rationally. Media has done a good job of being factual vs. the Trump/GOP'ers for whom it is just another political rodeo.

jimglas | 8 maart 2020

@neo
It looks like I am overly sensitive
Being a recently retired Dr
And your tirade being immediately after one of my posts that I thought was reasonable, I thought it was directed at me.
Nevermind ....

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 8 maart 2020

Remember a few weeks ago when the world was going to end because the US struck down Soleimani? This, like that, isn’t a political issue. It’s major media selling panic.

Dr Jim,
This forum brings out the worst in me. I think its time I let the professional forum folk do their thing while I do mine. Take care, everyone. Stay healthy, stick to the basics.

juliesmi266 | 8 maart 2020

Eleven passengers and 10 crew members on the boat were showing symptoms on Wednesday, the governor said. “That number may significantly understate” the scope of infection, he said, or “it may indeed be abundance of caution.” https://www.mcdvoice.one/

SCCRENDO | 8 maart 2020

@neo. Again. Keep your dumbass theories on strengthening the immune system for MAGA hat rallies. The bad thing about idiots listening to you is that they may actually believe you. Sadly your crowd denies facts and science and then you fill the void with anything swirling around your sub intellectual mind. It’s time to get rid of dear leader and bring sanity and realty back top our country and the world.

derotam | 9 maart 2020

Guess nature decided humans are living too long and decided to thin out the herd.

I wonder how much this will push out the Social Security Insolvency date.

yes I am being facetious.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 9 maart 2020

SCCRENDO-GOD, you continue to prove my point, jackass.

andy.connor.e | 9 maart 2020

"Keep your dumbass theories on strengthening the immune system for MAGA hat rallies."

I had no idea strengthening your immune system to prevent catching diseases was a "maga hatter" idea. This is the doctors advice, which is why i dont rely on my doctor.

SCCRENDO | 9 maart 2020

@derotam. This too will pass. The elderly are susceptible to a lot of things. Part of this is that we are living longer. While the mortality is higher in the elderly it is also higher for influenza. But most elderly will not die from this. Only a small percentage will. This too will pass. We need testing kits and there is an antiviral that is being tested as well as vaccines. Although that could take up to a year. In general I think we are panicking too much. The markets tell the story. We have lack of leadership and Trump and Pence need to move over and allow the CDC to run the show.

SCCRENDO | 9 maart 2020

@andy. If his advice really worked it would be a good idea. Sadly what he is quoting is pure bull. You should follow the advice of experts in the infectious disease field such as Anthony Fauci of the CDC and not Donald Trump, Mile Pence and an unqualified MAGA hatter like our potty mouthed friend Neo.

Pages