Forums

A heads up display

A heads up display

A heads up display would be very nice on the model 3
Kind of a much due safety concerns of looking down and left and the scree?
What do you think/know?

Frankmoble | 30 juni 2016

They hired a guy from skully that does heads up display. So I think it will be there .

TeslaTap.com | 30 juni 2016

Many, many threads on this and rather beaten to death. No one in the forums knows, and some people love HUDs and some hate them, with most seemingly indifferent.

tfay412 | 30 juni 2016

I'm mixed on the HUD. I've never seen a car with one. I feel as if it would distract me more than looking down and to the right. However I also feel, it could be something I could get used to real fast. How much information do you guys think, will be displayed by the HUD?

EaglesPDX | 30 juni 2016

Agree...heads up for basics like speed, turn signals, nav signals would be good with that offset information center. Prius has the same off center "dash" and it was not a good design.

Drdpharris | 9 juli 2016
bb0tin | 9 juli 2016

I like the heads up of the outside world I get out the windscreen.
I would like to see other information besides just what is out there.
It all comes down to the implementation of the HUD.

cheleball | 10 juli 2016

I have the poor man's implementation of a hud in my Mazda. A little plastic screen flips up, onto which is projected the hud image. Even this is simply fantastic. It's hard to convey how great it is having critical information so readily available without looking down. It must be experienced to be understood.

cheleball | 10 juli 2016

I have the poor man's implementation of a hud in my Mazda. A little plastic screen flips up, onto which is projected the hud image. Even this is simply fantastic. It's hard to convey how great it is having critical information so readily available without looking down. It must be experienced to be understood.

Ross1 | 10 juli 2016

HUD is not the end of the world.
What can you imagine would make HUD like last century?
Then you have Elon's 'it will look like a spaceship' thing.

joemar10 | 11 juli 2016

EaglesPDX: I have driven my Gen. III Prius over 230,000 miles, and just got back from a 1450 mile round trip to Nashville, so I know a little about this subject. The important things on the dash such as speed are almost eye level and maybe 2 degrees to the right of center. It is a very good design. You never have to look down, and don't even realize that your eyes are shifting a miniscule amount to the right to check your speed. Personally, I use cruise most of the time anyway. Just curious. Have you ever driven a Prius? BTW I am a M3 reservation holder, and although my rhree Prii have been awesome cars, it's time to kick gas.

Haggy | 12 juli 2016

I haven't been paying much attention to the want ads over the past year, but I did before autopilot came out, and it was clear who Tesla was hiring.

Drdpharris | 12 juli 2016

Of course we really want Augmented Reality. -- but leave out the Pokemon Go characters.

Ross1 | 12 juli 2016

Describe it and how it would apply to M3 please Drdp?

D.Lew | 12 juli 2016

I'm hoping for an interactive HUD enabled racing app where we can beat times on different sections of road and race other Tesla drivers jk. seriously though i want a HUD.

Drdpharris | 12 juli 2016

Well, I think one of the harder things with AP is informing the driver well about is indicating what it is aware of and its decisions. At the moment, these are displayed on the normal dash display as coloured rectangles, and the driver has to mentally match them to their counterparts in the external environment. This works ok now since the system has to display only a relatively few items.

The number of items and their subtlety will increase. An Augmented Reality (AR) system instead of a screen would project onto the windscreen and overlay the AP data onto the image of the real items. It can add useful additional indications such as colour, arrows, boxing etc to convey dynamic information and intended actions. There are various demo videos showing this, search on "Continental hud".

How one builds an excellent and clear system is the question. The devil, as always is in thd details. For exampld sunglasses, which dim the imaging, and head movement are two of the problems that need to be solved.

cheleball | 13 juli 2016

How one builds an excellent and clear system is the question. The devil, as always is in thd details. For exampld sunglasses, which dim the imaging, and head movement are two of the problems that need to be solved.

Neither sunglasses nor head movement have really been a problem for my Mazda faux-HUD. I think the tougher challenge will be designing a nice UI, something that Tesla has struggled with in the past.

cheleball | 13 juli 2016

Ugh, that first paragraph is a quote of Drdpharris. The blockquote tag got stripped, even though the link below this very post box claims it would not be.

Drdpharris | 13 juli 2016

Here's hoping ... I have seen others comment on thd fomming with sunglasses -likely polarized. I think these problems are solvable. Hey, if Pokemon can do it ... :-)

Drdpharris | 13 juli 2016

... the dimming ...

hateToShift | 14 juli 2016

Hope they put one in.