Forums

Wireless Data

Wireless Data

Can someone shed some light on how long the wireless data plan is provided for free on a Tesla S,X or 3

Does Tesla plan to start charging for the data after a certain time?

Rocky_H | 9 januari 2017

They have said that the first 4 years is included free. None of the cars have gone past that point yet, (because of when they announced it), so they have not announced any pricing yet.

TeslaTap.com | 9 januari 2017

Tesla has also enabled the ability to tether your car to a phone, using the phone's data plan. When they do announce a price, if you think it's too much, just tether your car to the phone. For some phone plans, there is no extra charge for this.

reed_lewis | 10 januari 2017

I am hoping that if and when the Tesla data goes away from being free and they charge me, I can add the car to my shared AT&T plan that I already have. If the cost is consistent, it will only add $10/mo to my plan, and it would share my 40Gig of data that I have.

This is what I do with the Chevrolet Volt that we have.

reed_lewis | 10 januari 2017

I am hoping that if and when the Tesla data goes away from being free and they charge me, I can add the car to my shared AT&T plan that I already have. If the cost is consistent, it will only add $10/mo to my plan, and it would share my 40Gig of data that I have.

This is what I do with the Chevrolet Volt that we have.

Jeff Hudson | 10 januari 2017

I don't want to get drawn into a long drawn out disagreement but I do not think Tesla has ever advertised a "wireless data plan." Having said that, there are too many features dependent on network connectivity for Tesla to change their modus operandi now. Go to the Tesla web site and play around with ordering a new vehicle and you will not see any reference to a free "wireless data plan."

reed_lewis | 11 januari 2017

The interesting thing is the way that GM does it with their connected cars. If you add your car to your shared plan, they add an additional 1 Gig a month to the plan for all the 'telemetry' that the car performs.

I feel this is fair.

vperl | 11 januari 2017

Heard, GM still sells Vehicles

codyb12889 | 11 januari 2017

Im not sure that autonomous vehicles and data limits will mix well. Having an out of date car driving around on the streets because the owner elected to not purchase data is a nightmare scenario.

In my opinion data for OTA updates should be included for life. Obviously that would be rolled into the price of the vehicle but that is fine.

brando | 11 januari 2017

Just follow the/our leading auto maker GM.

Life of the Model S would be, warranty period?

Mobile phone data plan sounds good.