Forums

We've got more Sun than You've got Oil. Brown said.

We've got more Sun than You've got Oil. Brown said.

http://www.ecowatch.com/california-solar-power-2305961141.html

California meeting half its Energy Needs and is the 6th largest World Economic power and the biggest in the United States.

And the Sun transports it energy for FREE.

Dramsey | 8 maart 2017

We also have more oil than they have oil. Suck it, Saudi Arabia.

Dramsey | 8 maart 2017

Ah, I see he was talking about Texas. Never mind. But the "meeting half its energy needs" claim in your post is misleading; the cited article says:

"The state BRIEFLY generated enough solar power to meet nearly half of the state's electricity needs"

California's on report in December of last year says they meet 27% of their energy needs with renewables (including stuff like hydro and biomass:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/renewables/tracking_progress/documents/renewabl...

So, progress, but not half, and not for a while yet.

rxlawdude | 8 maart 2017

@Dramsey, at least you acknowledge that over 25% of energy in California is renewables.

What percent in any random Red State? Why are they laggards?

Mike83 | 8 maart 2017

And
A Republican who sees Climate Change and doing something. Bravo to Indiana that is not scared by the Tea party and not bending to fossil fuel interests.

https://thinkprogress.org/republican-mayor-jim-brainard-climate-change-e...

One can nitpick the details but California is headed all Electric.

Mike83 | 8 maart 2017

If you read the article it also lists Tesla Energy as a storage solution. More PV's will require more Powerpaks which seems to be ongoing.

SUN 2 DRV | 8 maart 2017

Based on my forum name, I obviously agree with Gov Brown! :-)

rxlawdude | 8 maart 2017

@Dramsey, I was very serious about asking you to provide a sampling from Red States of their respective fractions of renewable energy as a percent of total stationary sources.

NKYTA | 8 maart 2017

Just got info in the mail. For a few more bucks a month, we can go to 100% renewables, it seems. Since I can't put solar on my townhouse, this could make me feel more "green", and would make sense when we have just two teslae in the garage in a year. :-)

http://www.peninsulacleanenergy.com

Mike83 | 8 maart 2017

That is great NKYTA. The rates are even better. Teslae? That could work.

Dramsey | 9 maart 2017

"@Dramsey, I was very serious about asking you to provide a sampling from Red States of their respective fractions of renewable energy as a percent of total stationary sources."

Oh, well, if I had only understood that you were _serious_...

There's this thing called "Google". And many Federal agencies, like, say, the Department of Energy, publish all kinds of stuff. Like:

https://energy.gov/maps/renewable-energy-production-state

Dunno why you seem to think that I was attacking Califonia's renewable progress. I was just pointing out that the OP's headline was misleading.

Mike83 | 9 maart 2017

I am not a propagandist as some are, especially the fossil fuel apologists and enjoy arguments. I don't engage in such nitpicking. Usually people can think for themselves and should read the source link. Interpretations are usually based on one's bias.

SO | 9 maart 2017

Hopefully California can show the rest of the country how it's done with renewables.

rxlawdude | 9 maart 2017

California generates 8.43% of total U.S. renewable energy production. (Hey thanks for the link, dramsey.)

Considering we have very limited hydroelectric generation (see Oregon and Washington, in contrast), I'd say we're doing pretty well.

And I'm very thankful for prevailing winds that will blow pollution from less enlightened states elsewhere, while our clean air helps those downwind polluters.

carlgo2 | 9 maart 2017

I do believe that Texas, of all places, gets a significant amount of its energy from wind power. The key to moving to solar utility grade power is affordable and efficient storage, so Tesla hopefully is cranking out those big power packs.

carlgo2 | 9 maart 2017

What would really blow things up is if the enormous West Coast companies like Apple, Tesla, Google, MS, Amazon, etc, etc. would partner on a huge and profitable solar utility.

Mike83 | 10 maart 2017

Pruitt/Trump attempting to hide climate change evidence and​ stop lawsuit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trum...

massimob30 | 10 maart 2017

Some of you are not telling the whole story, which is highly disingenuous. California has some of the highest energy and gas prices, this is happening in light of being the leader in renewables. It's easy to flaunt the results when you don't talk about the spending side of the equation.

http://gasprices.aaa.com
http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/204.htm

Mike83 | 10 maart 2017

The benefits of paying taxes include CLEAN AIR, SAFE DRINKING WATER, AND​AN ENVIRONMENT WORTH LIVING IN. The cheapest places to live will cost you in healthcare MONEY.

massimob30 | 10 maart 2017

Mike83,

If businesses that pollute simply pass their costs onto the consumer while making no effort to clean up their act are not making cleaner air or the safer water.

Throwing more money at problems doesn't mean it solves them, it depends on how that money is spent. California has the highest taxes in most categories and is crumbling in many respects. This isn't rhetoric or nuance, this is fact.

SCCRENDO | 10 maart 2017

@massimo. Health and safety may have a price and it is certainly worth paying it. Yes the fossil fuel and other polluting industries may pass on their costs. But if we continue to subsidies clean industries they will compete price wise and people to switch. Again do you defecate in your garden instead of paying for a toilet.

Mike83 | 10 maart 2017

I think these Climate Change deniers are attempting to convince themselves as they get quite emotional and post out of anger. Without evidence it must be frustrating for them yet they play to the tune of fossil fuel kingpins bringing in extraneous reasoning.

Mike83 | 10 maart 2017

China spending $360 Billion on Solar creating 13 million jobs.
Cool pictures from space of the largest arrays.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/08/the-worlds-largest-solar-farm-from-s...

bigd | 10 maart 2017

Mikey "AND​AN" what the heck does that mean ??

rxlawdude | 10 maart 2017

The same thing as bigd.
Having a parsing problem?

bigd | 10 maart 2017

"Having a parsing problem?" analyze (a sentence) into its parts and describe their syntactic roles "once again the resident moron has no idea what he is talking about. LOL no wonder collages are getting so pathetic in the US.

Sigh. I'm done with this battle of wits with the woefully unarmed.

@bigdummy,
parse; plural noun: parses
1.an act of or the result obtained by parsing a string or a text.

bigd | 10 maart 2017

rx O do not talk about your kin in that way

Bighorn | 10 maart 2017

@bigd
You made your own point, methinks.

collage
a : an artistic composition made of various materials (as paper, cloth, or wood) glued on a surface cut pictures from magazines to make a collage
b : a creative work that resembles such a composition in incorporating various materials or elements the album is a collage of several musical styles
: the art of making collages an artist known for her use of collage
: hodgepodge a collage of ideas
: a work (as a film) having disparate scenes in rapid succession without transitions

bigd | 10 maart 2017

PS you did not use it in a plural form moron. parsing
sigh, so sad that our education system has come to this :-(

bigd | 10 maart 2017

Bighorn, I am not challenging you as we all know, you are always correct ;-)

Mike83 | 10 maart 2017

The troll is back after 3 years. They let this obnoxious dude back?

Sleepydoc1 | 10 maart 2017

@ bigd - collage = art
college = education. Try some.

RGH | 21 maart 2017

Brown probably also has more marijuana than you have oil too :-)

Mike83 | 21 maart 2017

Gov. Jerry Brown is almost 80 years old and runs around 4 miles/day. I doubt if many could keep up with him. He doesn't need drugs.

rxlawdude | 21 maart 2017

As if @PinkFloydRoadie didn't use lots of exogenous substances during his time with the band.

(As if I believe he actually was a roadie for PF)

Bighorn | 21 maart 2017
Mike83 | 21 maart 2017

Holy Moley Batman.

rxlawdude | 21 maart 2017

If @big is right that this is what @PFR means, we cannot say PFR doesn't know dick.

RedShift | 22 maart 2017

And that's just grey whales. Think about sperm whales now. :-D

Mike83 | 22 maart 2017

LOL

brando | 22 maart 2017

Now it is simple economics.
https://youtu. be/jFZ8g0W7jV0?list=PLB568795BC54570A7

brando | 22 maart 2017

Just the speech without my long list of other videos

FZ8g0W7jV0

RGH | 25 maart 2017

" I doubt if many could keep up with him. He doesn't need drugs." He might not use drugs now, but he did admit to smoking a lot of weed in early days. :-) And I could care less if DUDE knows what I did for a living long ago. Interesting how several people are so negative and disbelieving on the Tesla forum.

RGH | 25 maart 2017

well this works two ways. rclawdude is probably really a gardener ;-)

bigd | 25 maart 2017

Pink Floyd Roadie . "rclawdude is probably really a gardener ;-)" Naw, he has never worked a day in his life.

rxlawdude | 25 maart 2017

@littleD and @PFR.
Sad. But your ilk is exposed by the hate and macho trash you spew.
No doubt compensating for your small member.

Mike83 | 25 maart 2017

rxlawdude+10
You nailed them. They are so insignificant they don't even know it.

bigd | 25 maart 2017

"rxlawdude No doubt compensating for your small member." Sorry, but as your wife can attest to, that isn't true ;-)

compchat | 25 maart 2017

For those who are critical of Republicans as climate deniers I say:
1. I am a Republican
2. I voted for Donald Trump and contributed to his campaign. I like his ideas.
3. I've owned two model S Teslas and have a Model 3 on order.
4. I have solar panels which supply 90 percent of my electric needs on a cumulative basis.
5. I hate all the small power motors people use for blowing leafs, mowing lawns, trimming, etc. If they could plug in somewhere everything could run off of clean electric (and/or use battery powered tools for non comercial use). But try to get your gardner to use an electric mower and they will pretend not to understand English or laugh at you. I believe these gas motors must be banned by States, counties or cities. But how ?
6. Water conservation...everything is low flow in the house which makes for a frustrating experience in the shower. Toilets are all low gallon type.
7. Lawn. Most is synthetic which requires no water.
8. Pool. Use to have a cover but because of the shape I can't get anything but a bubble cover which I admit I don't use.

So, I'm a Republican manical Trump supporter who also tries to stay "green".

Pages