Forums

Max cabin temp control for pets

Max cabin temp control for pets

I'm going to be travelling on a ferry to France this Friday with my cat. The crossing lasts for three hours.

From previous experience, the car deck on the ferry can be quite hot and all pets have to be left in the car.

I seem to remember hearing that the Tesla has a feature called max cabin temp control?

How do I enable this? Can I set the temperature? How is this different from just leaving the air conditioning on?

drklain | 7 juni 2017

Max cabin temp control is designed to prevent an emergency situation and (I think) kicks on at 100 deg F which is too hot for what you are describing. Best thing would be to leave the AC on. Either put the car in Camper Mode using something like Remote S or simply remember to turn the air on every 30 minutes with the app because it does time out...

Captain_Zap | 7 juni 2017

It is better to leave the AC on, put the car in neutral and set the parking brake manually. Your pets should be fine with the car running 3 hours with the AC on. That is what they now call "camper mode".

I wouldn't trust the App, especially on a ferry or the Max cabin temp feature.

Bill_75D | 7 juni 2017

Mine kicks on at about 105° F and runs down to about 90°, then shuts off and climbs rather quickly back to 105° and repeats the cycle. You need to be sure Cabin Overheat Protection is turned on in your settings on the big screen.

TeslaTap.com | 7 juni 2017

I like the other suggestions here. While I also would not recommend relying on max cabin temp, a cat should do fine even at 105 for 3 hours. My brother's cats do just fine every day in 110 degrees outside in the midday heat. I've even been out for hours in 110 degree temps and somehow survived (although some may think brain damaged).

A parked car without A/C in the sun can quickly get to 150 degrees inside, which is clearly leathal for pets and people. Max temp is considered an emergency feature, not one to depend on, but it is far better design than any other cars.

I'd also have water available for your pet. Now I can't offer any advice to reduce the howling while driving :)

sentabo | 7 juni 2017

+1 Captain_Zap. I've used this method a couple of times when I had some good wine (cabs) in my car while parked in the sun for a couple of hours. Worked like a charm.

sentabo | 7 juni 2017

Second reference in <24 hours to a trip to France. I'm jealous.

rcpoon | 7 juni 2017

Weird policy. What would somebody with an ICE do with their pet? Obviously they can't keep the engine running the whole time.

Crebelo | 7 juni 2017

Has anyone had any experience with leaving their pet in the car with the AC running and someone going crazy over it? I've heard of concerned people smashing car windows to get a pet out (in an ICE, not Tesla).

Maybe a vinyl decal on a window would let then know AC is running? I'd be pretty upset if harm came to my dog with broken glass if she was perfectly cool inside because some dummy thought she was suffocating.

Earl and Nagin ... | 7 juni 2017

As i've said other times that this question has been raised: Leaving a pet or child in a car and counting on the AC to keep them alive makes the AC system a life support system.
If it fails: THE PET OR CHILD INSIDE COULD DIE.
Car AC systems are not designed with the necessary redundancies or design assurance to give them the reliability necessary for a life support system.
Therefore, I highly recommend that if you do leave a child or pet in the car when it is hot, that you constantly monitor the inside temperature via the app. Additionally, since the Tesla App and the internet are not reliable enough for life support either, you probably should alter the set temperature, perhaps about 5 degrees each time you check and verify that it has changed, just to be sure you're really connected with the car and measuring correctly.
This, of course, probably won't work for the OP on a ferry where there may not be cellphone reception.
I really dread that I may hear about an AC system that quit, causing a pet or child, helplessly inside, to die.

Crebelo | 7 juni 2017

@Earl and Nagin
I've only left my pet in the car for a quick in and out of a store for takeout or paying for gas etc (gas ha!), But that's enough for someone to walk by and think they were in there for hours.

But now that you mention internet connection with the phone app I don't think even that is reliable enough. Just yesterday I couldn't log into the app for a few hours, I think it was a Tesla server issue.

sentabo | 7 juni 2017

I assume no conscientious parent would leave a child in the car that is too young to know enough to get out of the car if the AC failed. A pet is another matter, of course.

TeslaTap.com | 7 juni 2017

@rcpoon - "What would somebody with an ICE do with their pet?"

Unfortunately, too often they let the pet die from heat. Rather sad.

Earl and Nagin ... | 7 juni 2017

@Crebelo,
The reason I suggested changing the temperature and checking to see if it changed is that that gives you feedback that the internet is working for you. For example: If you set the temperature to 74F, when you leave the car, then check 5 minutes later and see that it is 74F, you would then change it to 79F. 5 minutes later you check that it is 79F. If not, IMMEDIATELY return to your car. If it is 79F, you then change it back to 74F. Again, in 5 minutes, you verify that it is at 74F. Repeat. If at any point it is not at the temperature you set it at before, IMMEDIATELY return to your car to potentially rescue your pet/child because the system is possibly not working.
This is a fail-safe approach because it provides an independent check that you're in communications with the car and the temperature is under your control. My assumption is that a 5 minute loss of AC won't harm the occupant. It does take work on your part to make this safe for life support.
Passers-by, of course, are a different issue. Maybe put a note in the driver's window saying you're monitoring the temperature and remotely chirping the horn every time you check, just to prove it?
@sentabo,
Given the frequency with which this question is asked on this forum, I'm not sure. Many people don't understand system reliability. That is why I always post my concern even though I get tired of doing so.

sentabo | 7 juni 2017

Earl and Nagin, probably worth repeating yourself.

bb0tin | 7 juni 2017

@sarah
The windows of the car do not go up when the car is locked.
You can leave all 4 windows slightly down for ventilation.
With the overheat protection also set on, the cats will be OK.

Bighorn | 7 juni 2017
bb0tin | 7 juni 2017

As TeslaTap posted, cats do fine in the sun at 40C (104F) , never mind in the shade with ventilation.
A cat's normal body temperature is 100F to 103F.
Cats pant to cool.
Humans are routinely exposed to temperatures higher than 40C, for hours, even while working.
A human's normal body temperature is 37C or 99F.
Humans sweat to cool.

Bighorn | 7 juni 2017

Keep the temperature comfortable inside your car. One of the biggest safety hazards to having cats (or any pets) in the car is the risk of extreme weather. It doesn't take much for a car to get hot enough in the summer that an animal could overheat. Even a moderately warm day in the 80 degree Fahrenheit range (26 degrees Celsius) could quickly heat a parked car to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius). Having the windows open may not be enough. Because of this, you'll need to take precautions to ensure that your cat does not get exposed to extreme or uncomfortable temperatures.[8]
Always keep the air conditioner running in the summer and the heater going in the winter.
Never leave your cat unattended in a parked car. If you're traveling with someone, leave the car running with the air conditioning on and take turns going into rest stops so that someone is always with the cat.
Remember that high humidity levels can also overheat your pet. Keep an eye on the outside temperature and the humidity level, both where you are and where you'll be traveling to.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Cat-Safe-in-the-Car

NKYTA | 7 juni 2017

*headscratch*

Use the feature or don't.
Trust the feature or don't.

E&N +1, sensible suggestions on tweaking the temp and verifying.

BH +1

alexabrown252 | 10 december 2019

Hello, guys. In my experience, the cabin should have a comfortable temperature for your pet.
Once, I was on my way to France with my cat in the front seat. I turned on the air conditioning, it was very hot. My cat came up to me and bit me. Everything was okay, it doesn't usually do that and I didn't understand why did it bit me. This situation worried me. So, I started looking for some links about the cat's behavior. I found this one https://kittycattree.com/why-do-cats-rub-against-you-then-bite/ , and I realized she did it because of the air conditioner, it felt cold. So, my kitty showed me its character. As a result, I understood that it's very important to study the behavior of your pet.