Forums

What to expect next 4-18 months

What to expect next 4-18 months

Hi guys,
Since many of you are eager to pick up your Model 3, just want to share some of my experience 15 months ago as I went through the whole process with my Model X (). Elon mentioned yesterday that his team is ready to go through "Production Hell" to deliver all our cars; well let me assure you that there will be a "Waiting Hell" for all of us, but in the end, it will totally worth it :)

Yesterday, only 30 (Tesla employees) picked up the M3. I am pretty sure things will be pretty quiet next month (August) as Tesla work through various bugs and issues with these "betas". Don't even bother contacting Tesla as no one there will have a clue your delivery date - radio silence should be your expectation. (At least this time they have done a better job with the online delivery estimator to ease some anxiety).

Your online estimated delivery dates is based on where you live (how close you are from the factory) and whether you are an existing Tesla owner. Your priority is roughly based on the following:
1) Internal employees (August-Sept delivery for 1st Production, i.e., long-range battery+premium options)
2) Current Tesla owners who live close to Fremont, CA (I am in this cohort, and they have given me Oct-Dec 2017 date)
3) Rest of current US Tesla customers (???)
4) Rest of US, NA (???)
5) Rest of the world (???)
(Don't worry there will be some overlapped delivery dates of each cohort so if you are non-US you don't need to wait until all US delivery are completed!)

At some point you will get an email from Tesla saying that your M3 is ready to be configured. I got mine 8 weeks before my actual delivery of my MX,

EVolution | 29 juli 2017

"What to expect next 4-18 months"

A lot of suicides from Canadians

DarthB | 29 juli 2017

(oops, sent too soon)

At some point you will get an email from Tesla saying that your M3 is ready to be configured. I got mine 8 weeks before my actual delivery of my MX,so I expect the first batch delivery emails to be sent around end of September.

After the config email you will again hear radio-silence from Tesla - again no one at Tesla will have a clue your final delivery dates, until it's ready to be picked up 1-2 weeks prior. (This is when things get really exciting!)

For the first batch delivery, your car will NOT be perfect. Hopefully the M3 is better than MX, but don't worry Tesla would take care of you. Just document what you need them to fix.

You will be happy despite all these issues :)

drbob | 29 juli 2017

I'm on the East Coast and got an Oct-Dec delivery. December is perfect as that is when my Model S lease runs out (and I'm not buying in for $70,000 when I can get a M3 for $50,000 with the tax incentives :-)

NKYTA | 29 juli 2017

Soon.

Jama | 29 juli 2017

"Production hell"

eric.whang | 30 juli 2017

If I can get a Dec 2017 delivery I may consider the 49K build with a 1K paint job. Skipping auto pilot cr4p when I check out.