Forums

AP will cost more to activate after delivery

AP will cost more to activate after delivery

From the tweet at

twitter .com/sfmartinlin/status/891437842567618560

an M3 owner in process of configuring has noted that AP will cost $6000 to enable after delivery, compared to the $5K if enabling as part of configuration.

Will this affect anyone's plans for enabling AP?

hoffmannjames | 29 juli 2017

That's how it has always worked. Same with Model S and X.

AJPHL | 29 juli 2017

Just noting for those of us who'll be ordering our first Tesla...

mfstorino | 29 juli 2017

With unproven capability, it does not seem prudent to pay for the option. It is unfortunate that Tesla will charge cautious owners more that do not have the financial means to risk the expense initially.

peter | 29 juli 2017

I'm sure with time the price will come down significantly with time. Competition from other manufacturers, and even OpenPilot, given the number of cars that will ultimately have autonomy, will ensure that.

AJPHL | 29 juli 2017

I agree mfstorino. While I understand it's simpler to enable during production, $1000 seems an excessive premium to have someone hit a few keys to push an OTA update. Seems almost like the kind of tactic a ICE manufacturer would use.

weluvm3 | 29 juli 2017

I hope they don't charge more than $3,000 to activate full automatic after purchase. That would be utterly unfair, considering that we don't even know when Tesla could even deliver on that feature. For all we know, our M3's could be sitting in a junkyard by the time that feature is ready to be activated!

shizzy94 | 29 juli 2017

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between "Enhanced Auto Pilot" and "Self Driving Capability"? I was under the impression that EAP pretty much meant that the car can drive itself.

knightshade9 | 29 juli 2017

Can someone clarify for me? I though at this point the 5k option for EAP _is_ proven- as in it's in use right now on other model- speed adaptive cruise, lane changing, highway changing, auto steer, auto park, summon, etc)

And it's the additional 3k *fully automated' option that is basically giving Tesla 3k for something that nobody actually can use (and there's no date when you can use it)?

So the first one is probably a good idea to get now (and save 1k)- especially since for me it's one of the main reasons to be considering the car..... but the second one probably isn't worth getting up front since it might be years (if ever) before it's useful?

Yeah, EAP is proven. FSD is what is unproven.

LA-Fohlen | 29 juli 2017

I will go with the 5K EAP option but will not enable FSD. Development of the system is one thing, going through state regulation is another thing. If at some point it is established I might pay for it even it is at a higher price.

weluvm3 | 29 juli 2017

@LA-Fohlen I don't think it is ethical for Tesla to charge a higher price for it later. That doesn't mean they won't do it, but they shouldn't do it.

shivshah43 | July 29, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between "Enhanced Auto Pilot" and "Self Driving Capability"? I was under the impression that EAP pretty much meant that the car can drive itself.

---

"Enhanced auto pilot" is limited self-driving. It can control the speed of the car, automatically slowing down and speeding up with traffic, and steer automatically to stay in the lane. Think of it like advanced adaptive cruise control. It can self drive when you are just cruising down the highway for example as the car will automatically keep you in the lane and keep you at a safe distance from the car in front. But it cannot turn onto a different road at an intersection or stop at a stop sign or a red light. This option is available now and works pretty well.

"self driving capability" will be even better than "enhanced auto pilot" as it will truly be fully self-driving. You will simply tell the car where to go and it will take you there on its own, without any human intervention. So the car will be able to automatically navigate different roads and obey all traffic laws. This option is not available yet but Tesla hopes to get there at some point.

ddaveer | 29 juli 2017

I think you have to look at paying less for it when the car's produced as a reward instead of the increased price of after-market activation as a punishment. Tessa's doing fine, but it still needs a lot of cash and if it can incentivize ppl to hand over cash now instead of paying more later, it should do so.

Similarly, when Sirius satellite radio was in the early days, they offered a lifetime subscription for $500. 12 years later, I still have Sirius, and have never given them another dime.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29 juli 2017

To me, the expense of FSD is just like the cost of an extended service agreement -- I would consider it a donation to the cause for Tesla.

drbob | 29 juli 2017

I think the question comes down to whet FSD is released. If it is within 4-8 months, OK but if it is two years away and you're only keeping the car for 3 I'd have to question the value.

Same occurred when I bought my Model S in Dec, 2014. I paid $2500 for the auto drive but it wasn't released until months later but well within a reasonable time in my opinion.

I suspect FSD will take longer or maybe they'll release piecemeal over time. Basically your paying for the privilege to beta test, which for me is part of the fun of having a Tesla :-)

gwolnik | 29 juli 2017

In California, the annual license renewal is based on your original purchase price. So if you buy it later, you might pay more for the software upgrade options, but you save on the registration cost each year. The sales tax will be higher if you wait, but that is only paid once, while the annual registration is each year. It becomes less each year, down to zero at 10 years. Also factor in the time value of money. I'll let someone else do the actual math to figure out how long to wait to come out ahead for waiting, if ever.