Forums

Model 3 has a driver facing camera - Electrek

Model 3 has a driver facing camera - Electrek

El Mirio | 1 augustus 2017

Tesla confirmed to Electrek that the Model 3 is equipped with the camera, but it is not currently active. It will only become active after future software updates, which Tesla didn’t want to elaborate on.
unquote

carlk | 1 augustus 2017

Interesting. That probably would make people to throw away thoughts of doing certain things when the car is driving itself.

rbortins | 1 augustus 2017

That's going to make fooling around in the car awkward.

Ehninger1212 | 1 augustus 2017

Lol, a simple rag should allow camping trips to remain fun ;)

stevenmaifert | 1 augustus 2017

I see so many legal problems with this. Where to begin?

Funny. "Project Love Day" get's a whole new meaning :o)

@Stevenmaifert, not so sure whether is a big legal issue, as long as one can manually override the camera.
phone or computer cameras don't seem to face legal issues.

Shock | 1 augustus 2017

Disabled with a piece of electrical tape at least until the auto system starts mandating it to work.

KP in NPT | 1 augustus 2017

Enabled when the Tesla Network goes online...

hoffmannjames | 1 augustus 2017

I see two major benefits:
1) Improve safety. The system could see if the driver is showing signs of not being able to drive (drunk, health problem) and not allow the car to turn on or if the person is already driving, automatically engage FSD to prevent an accident.
2) Legal protection for the Tesla network. If someone tries to steal your Model 3 or damages your Model 3, the camera could be used to ID the perp.

rxlawdude | 1 augustus 2017

@stevenmaifort, what legal issues do you foresee? Doesn't Mercedes do this exact thing to ensure driver attention?

SUN 2 DRV | 1 augustus 2017

"That's going to make fooling around in the car awkward."

...for some people.... for other people it will be an opportunity to vicariously show off...

rxlawdude | 1 augustus 2017

@SUN, yeah, I can see the folks at Tesla Control watching and picking the "sexy moment of the day" for internal posting.

Actually, I don't see this happening at all.

ejunk | 1 augustus 2017

Will this be able to record? Do you think this will help in case you get into an accident yo use the camera as a proof?

I could also see it being useful if a cop pulls you over and there is a problem. The camera could be used as visual proof if there is doubt about what happened.

What is so interesting about this is that Tesla managed to sneak it into the design of the Model 3 without anyone knowing about it. It also proves that Tesla has plans for the future of autopilot and FSD that they have not talked about. Clearly, Tesla has plans to do a lot more with FSD than we were led to believe.

dsvick | 1 augustus 2017

It's so the car can monitor the driver's head height and direction that their eyes are looking so that the HUD is projected at the correct place and with the proper viewing angle. :)

@hoffmannjames, Tesla did talk about Tesla Network where your autonomous car makes you money while you are at work, a cabin camera monitoring strangers using your car is kind of needed to accomplish Tesla Network.

@El MIrio I agree yes. The camera will make sure that the people using your car on the Tesla network are not doing anything inappropriate.

I would also add that the fact that Tesla has already integrated it into the production version of the Model 3 is a good sign for the future of autopilot/FSD and the Tesla Network. It means Tesla is confident that L3-L4 autonomy and the Tesla network are not too far off.

@hoffmannjames, it is a good sign, wonder whether S & X currently are equipped with that camera too.

PhillyGal | 1 augustus 2017

Like every "smart" device we have isn't already watching/listening to us...

jordanrichard | 1 augustus 2017

Now you are going to have to have consent releases in the glove box for any passengers to read and sign. I am half joking and half not. Just as most businesses that have cameras monitoring the sales floor for example, have to have signage stating that your are being recorded/filmed or camera on premises, etc.

El Mirio | August 1, 2017
@hoffmannjames, it is a good sign, wonder whether S & X currently are equipped with that camera too.

-------

As far as I know, the S and X don't have the camera. So, Tesla may add it later when they do a refresh of the S and X interior.

But if Tesla does not plan to add the camera to the S and X, it could signal that they don't plan to include the S and X on the Tesla Network. I would be surprised by that, but you never know. It does seem obvious that Tesla has designed the Model 3 from the beginning to support FSD and the Tesla Network.

s7davis | 1 augustus 2017

I would like to add m opinion on legal issues if I may do so. In my opinion only this should be something that the car owner and Tesla must sign on the dotted line for to cover any legal issues. Plus having a camera in a privately owned car is not against the law and when people get in that car privacy goes out the window cause the owner of the car would like to keep and eye on what is happening in his or her car. Now the video becoming public becomes a totally different story and that should not happen.

However, if I had a car with a camera inside of the cab monitoring what was going on then people will tend to behave a little more, pay more attention to the roads. So I am all for the camera being turned on and activated as long as their is some sort of notification, signage, or something to let passengers know that they are being recorded then by entering the vehicle they are adhering to the mentioned camera being in the cab recording. So if they object then do not enter the vehicle.

It is the owners right to record anything within the cab of the car since that is private property. Just my little bit of my thought. Or maybe I been watching too many Constutional Right Videos lol.

People using Tesla Network likely would have to agree to terms when signing up for the app.

davidnallred | 1 augustus 2017

El Mirio - good insights. I can imagine anytime someone using the Tesla Network sits in their "summoned" vehicle, they may have to agree to terms via the touchscreen before the car will take them anywhere (you are being recorded for the safe keeping of the owner's property, you are agreeing to x, y, z, etc)

I think some type of user agreement will be required for legal purposes and to make the Tesla Network viable. Otherwise, I doubt many will let strangers just ride in their car. But if there is a camera to monitor the cabin and the passenger has to agree to certain terms before the car will drive them, then maybe it could work.

@davidnallred also the camera could detect additional passengers and require them to sign off on terms as well prior starting the ride, hence covering all occupants in every scenario.

TeslaTap.com | 1 augustus 2017

I don't see any legal issue or consent signs necessary. Millions of cars have dashcams, and I've never heard of an issue. They are recording outside the car, but there are people, cars, license plates and much more all being recorded. People have nanny cams in their houses without consent forms or signs for every visitor. Seems like a non-issue.

The camera has some interesting uses:
- Security face recognition
- Recording passengers (if renting the vehicle)
- Checking driver's condition (as others already pointed out)
- Reading lips - a voice recognition system without having to press a button
- Eye tracking to set controls - like two quick upward glances raises the volume
- An alternative to holding the steering wheel in AP - perhaps if you look ahead every 5 seconds, the steering wheel does not need to be held

"- An alternative to holding the steering wheel in AP - perhaps if you look ahead every 5 seconds, the steering wheel does not need to be held"

This would be a very nice alternative to the nagging alert to "please hold the steering wheel".

ReD eXiLe ms us | 1 augustus 2017

OK. That takes care of ongoing concerns that exterior cameras alone are 'not enough'... Some have said it is important that the driver/operator should be observed as well, in case of anything from inattention to illness. The more paranoid find it interesting that yet another piece of self facing technology would be able to 'spy' on the public at large at all times...

ReD eXiLe ms us | August 1, 2017
OK. That takes care of ongoing concerns that exterior cameras alone are 'not enough'... Some have said it is important that the driver/operator should be observed as well, in case of anything from inattention to illness. The more paranoid find it interesting that yet another piece of self facing technology would be able to 'spy' on the public at large at all times...

-----

If the self-driving system is good enough then it should not matter if the human is alert or not. What I find most interesting about a driver facing camera from a self-driving point of view is how it could be used as a back up to the human driver. So instead of the human being a back up in case the self driving fails, it would be the self driving system that would be the back up if the human driver fails. The self-driving system could automatically take over when it senses the driver is unable to safely operate the vehicle. Also, you could have a system where if the car sees via the camera that the driver is drunk, it would lock the driving controls, preventing them from even starting the car. That alone could be a very useful tool to prevent drunk driving and save lives. In fact that is a feature that I could even see becoming mandatory like seat belts.

jlangshaw | 1 augustus 2017

Cadillac already implemented a driver facing camera to determine when the user takes their eyes off the road.

Shygar | 1 augustus 2017

This would be great to prevent deaths of infants or pets. Camera watches for movement inside the car and turns on A/C.

joemar10 | 1 augustus 2017

Skype?

Pungoteague_Dave | 1 augustus 2017

numerous existing ars have driver-facing cameras, and unlike Tesla, they are actually doing something.

Pungoteague_Dave | 1 augustus 2017

numerous existing ars have driver-facing cameras, and unlike Tesla, they are actually doing something.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 23 augustus 2017

hoffmannjames: The idea that is expressed by 'concerns' is that people who refuse to use the Autopilot system might decide to drive for great lengths, both distance and hours, and then fall asleep at the wheel. If the computer system can recognize such a situation, it could either complete the journey without the human operator, or pull over safely and stop while they 'sleep it off'. The majority of fatal crashes are due to driver error -- inclement weather, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, emotional distress, etc.

jlangshaw: OK. What does the car do then? Sound an alarm? Vibrate the steering wheel? Phone home to OnStar?

Shygar: That would be a good idea. Though I rather prefer that it would summon the cops to rescue the dog or child from a terminally stupid owner or Parent.

joemar10: Skype would be cool. That is, as long as people aren't tempted to look at the camera, anyway.

Pungoteague_Dave: Oh? Well, what are they 'actually doing'? Do you still insist that Tesla cannot make full self driving work without rear facing radar?

rxlawdude | 23 augustus 2017

@PD, did you go to the plane-arium before posting this? :-) (Reference: South Park)

noleaf4me | 23 augustus 2017

I hope I look good in it...

eeb9 | 23 augustus 2017

For those of us who choose not to purchase or enable EAP or FSD, I hope that a smallmpiec of electrical tape doesn't void any warranties :-)

Carl Thompson | 24 augustus 2017

@ReD eXiLe ms us:
"hoffmannjames: The idea that is expressed by 'concerns' is that people who refuse to use the Autopilot system might decide to drive for great lengths, both distance and hours, and then fall asleep at the wheel."

I kind of feel like the opposite is true: those that _use_ EAP are more likely to fall asleep or lose concentration at the wheel. We've seen several examples that seem to support this including a person who died while apparently watching a moving and another person apparently asleep while driving in rush hour traffic. I experience a similar effect in my current car which has the equivalent of TACC. I find myself more likely to have a lapse of focus when I use it which is why I won't use it when tired.

The problem is that it is much harder to stay awake and alert when the only part of driving you're required to do is stay awake and alert.

Carl

JayInJapan | 24 augustus 2017

Truthiness

dd.micsol | 24 augustus 2017

I plan on putting a piece of electrical tape over it myself.

Haggy | 24 augustus 2017

"But if Tesla does not plan to add the camera to the S and X, it could signal that they don't plan to include the S and X on the Tesla Network. I would be surprised by that, but you never know. "

I would guess that people who buy a $100,000+ car are less interested in making back some money through ride sharing than somebody with a Model 3 might be. I might be wrong about that, and wouldn't use either car for that, but unless people are willing to pay 3-4 times as much to ride in a Model S, it doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

hoffmannjames | 24 augustus 2017

Haggy +1

I would be very surprised if the Model S/X were included in the Tesla Network.

elephant in a bottle | 24 augustus 2017

Obviously more useful in uber-mode (Tesla Network) . Perhaps no need for the owner to improvise a diy camera system for remote viewing.

In owner-mode, I wish I will have the option to deactivate it , but probably lose some features in the process.

hsadler | 24 augustus 2017

I see a great opportunity for hand puppets!

Ross1 | 25 augustus 2017

If it is beamed back to Tesla or other third party it would/could constitute voyeurism, which is a jailable offence for Elon, right down the ranks.

dsvick | 25 augustus 2017

@dd.micsol - "I plan on putting a piece of electrical tape over it myself."

I thought you cancelled your reservation ...

georgehawley.fl.us | 25 augustus 2017

AI will tell the tale for the inside facing camera. Didn't HAL, the computer in the move " 2001 - A Space Oddysey", figure out how to eavesdrop on the astronauts including lip-reading. How will the car know a driver is drunk or otherwise incapacitated? It could ask you to say "I'm not a fig plucker or a fig plucker's son but i'll pluck figs 'til the fig plucker comes." and rate your response. It could detect road rage by your facial expression correlated with outside events and pull over to the curb until you cool down. If you put tape over the camera lens or otherwise interfere with it, it could disable the drive unit(s). Spooky.😀

Pages