Forums

Air Suspension

Air Suspension

Does the Model 3 have air suspension? The reason I ask is because my wife has a cousin that works at a firestone suspension plant in Tennessee. We seen her a month or so ago and she told us about all the overtime she could get because they were trying to install an airbag line for a new car company named "Teeslay". It took a while to figure out she was talking about Tesla. I told her deliveries would start in a few weeks...she laughed.

AJPHL | 19 augustus 2017

Haven't heard anything confirming this. There are articles online stating Model 3 has coil suspension.

JAD | 19 augustus 2017

No air, maybe with the performance package in a year, but no comment on that yet even.

Chargedmr2 | 19 augustus 2017

No air suspension to start, but probably down the road (as in late 2018 or early 2019, perhaps). Elon did tweet that air suspension would be available eventually, but that was way back around the first reveal event.

KWB52 | 27 augustus 2017

I could not help but notice the measurement figures on the Model 3 did not give a clearance range (just 5.5") as it does in Model S (4.6" to 6.3"). So that suggests, IMHO, no air suspensions with the first deliveries. As for me this is an essential feature considering I have a very sharp angled driveway and do not want to scrape the bottom of the car every time I go for a drive.

stevenmaifert | 27 augustus 2017

Has Tesla/Elon ever hinted that air suspension might be a future option for M3?

topher | 27 augustus 2017

"As for me this is an essential feature considering I have a very sharp angled driveway "

Have you measured the angle and compared it to a model 3? The Model 3 has a long wheelbase for its length, that greatly reduces the problem of bottoming out on a steep angle.

Thank you kindly.

Tâm | 27 augustus 2017

In 2016, Motor Trend did ride on dual motor air suspension Model 3:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/tesla-model-3-first-ri...

It happened in the past, so for those who want air suspension, may be you have to wait for the dual motor to come out.

Rutrow | 27 augustus 2017

If it'll make stevenmaifert happy, I'll start the rumor:

Elon tweeted* "Did you ever know that you're my hero?"

Which has 3 words with the letter "E" in them, so obviously a reference to "wind beneath my wings" ... clearly indicating that the dual motor model 3 will have air suspension.

*This is a lie

Rutrow | 27 augustus 2017

topher, the long wheelbase, meaning steep angle of approach and departure, helps for damage below the bumpers, but compounds the problem for the breakover angle between the wheels. So if KWB52 has a sharply angled drop off at the top of the driveway, the long wheelbase will cause undercarriage damage midship.

GetLib | 27 augustus 2017

@Rutrow +1

topher | 28 augustus 2017

"So if KWB52 has a sharply angled drop off at the top of the driveway,"

But that is way easier to remedy.

Thank you kindly.

jordanrichard | 28 augustus 2017

The area of concern is not just ride height but front and rear over hangs. The nose and tail of the Model 3 is much shorter than the MS. So steep approaches that would be of concern for the MS, may not be for a Model 3.

andy.connor.e | 28 augustus 2017

You'd never understand just how significant 1" is.

Rocky_H | 28 augustus 2017

+1 to @Rutrow and @jordanrichard. Our two cars, a Civic and a Model S, both have 6" clearance, but the Tesla has worse issues with front and middle clearance because of the overhang and long wheelbase.