Forums

My M3 will be my first audiophile automobile.

My M3 will be my first audiophile automobile.

I don't know how many of you are audiophiles. I am; and the overwhelming majority of the music I listen to at home is audiophile music--music with a dynamic range of greater than 50 dB.

My BMW Z4 has an outstanding audiophile music system; but it's like t*ts on a boar--it is useless. Even when I drive with the top up, the ambient noise level is between 65 and 75 dB. Add 50 dB to that and your ears would literally start to bleed.

That's why I am really looking forward to my M3 and it's very low ambient noise level. For the first time ever I will be able to listen to audiophile music on the road :-)

carlk | 25 augustus 2017

I too am a somewhat audiophile but I used to only listen to news or sports radio in my car until I got my Model S. It was the only in car environment that I thought is worthwhile to listen to good music.

Captain_Zap | 25 augustus 2017

Don't expect discrete sound. They didn't do it for the Model S.

bmz | 25 augustus 2017

Captain_Zap: Do you know who makes the audio amplifier?

kgr99 | 25 augustus 2017

I hate to rain on your parade but car audio and audiophile music will never go together.

Model 3 might have low ambient noise, good speakers, amplifier and what not but there can never be a flat frequency response in a car, spatial realism, staging ....and I can go on.

Sorry my friend. :)

rxlawdude | 25 augustus 2017

Not to mention that while eerily quiet, Teslas at speed are not silent. Tire noise is the biggest contributor.

carlk | 25 augustus 2017

@kgr99 I partly agree but on the other hand in car audio also has the advantage of it can be designed for the fixed environment. Even the basic audio in my Model S is very good. With good source the premium audio in my X really impresses me. No way it could compare to my Onkyo 7.2.4 system with twin 1200W subwoofers but I have no complain of how music sounds in my car.

@rxlawdude You are right too. Funny how I enjoyed to listen to music in the car parked in the garage.

Chargedmr2 | 25 augustus 2017

Better not opt for the glass roof. Unless there is an optional sunshade made from OC 705.

dd.micsol | 25 augustus 2017

75% of the noise you hear in an electric car is from the tires.

All you need to do is insulate the tire wells with insulation.
I used packing insulation on my S when I had it painted gold leaf.
It's so quiet and adds almost zero weight to the car.
If you want it really quiet-just get a mechanic to do it for you.
Like this:
http://suzhoustar. gmc.globalmarket.com/products/details/quality-orange-xpe-foam-foil-insulation-packing-material-8183375.html

Haggy | 25 augustus 2017

The closest you could come to audiophile sound in a car would be in a custom built stretch limo where the compartment could be optimized for audio. The base price of the car is lower than for a good audiophile home system, so I wouldn't expect much. It might be better than the base system. The upgraded system in the Model S is far better than the base system but I wouldn't call it audiophile.

ölbrenner | 26 augustus 2017

@Chargedmr2: "Unless there is an optional sunshade made from OC 705":
How many other traps are needed, and where I wonder LOL.

bmz | 26 augustus 2017

Haggy Audiophile sound is very subjective--but you and I agree that you cannot have it in a moving ICE. My BMW has Carver electronics and speakers; and when we are standing still, I consider it to be audiophile sound. I am still hoping that with the PuP, and the much lower ambient noise level I will be able to reach my 50+ decibels of dynamic range in my M3. That will make me very happy!

Haggy | 27 augustus 2017

What matters is not whether I or anybody else calls it audiophile sound. What matters is whether you like it. Bob Carver hasn't been with the company for a long time and it's essentially a BMW system made for the car and shouldn't be like any other system. It gets the Carver name, but what made Bob Carver famous wouldn't hold much relevance in a car, unless you could have a single seat in the sweet spot centered perfectly between the speakers.

What companies like BMW are really paying for is a tuned system that takes into account the acoustic property of the car and no aftermarket system can duplicate it. Sometimes I see threads asking what are the "right" settings for the tone controls to make it sound the best. If there were specific positions better than the defaults, the engineers would change things so that they were the defaults. With an off the shelf system, that won't be the case.

With Tesla, it's the same thing, but it comes down to how much they are going to put into it. I paid an extra $2500 for premium sound. If you like Carver, Bob Carver's latest amplifier alone is about $3700, so you aren't getting much compared to a home system, and there are much higher levels of Audiophile systems than that.

With the Model 3, the premium sound is just one part of the premium package, and Tesla doesn't claim that it's a better system, only that it has more speakers.

One thing that I haven't seen is whether the Model 3 will let you turn the sound up to 11.

mntlvr23 | 27 augustus 2017

Well, that would be one louder, wouldn't it? It's not ten. You see, most cars, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your car. Where can you go from there? Where?

RSavage_92024 | 27 augustus 2017

Saying a car audio system is 'audiophile quality' is like saying a Model S is a 'race car' because it happens to be quick. It's apples and oranges and a silly misuse of the terms. Just enjoy and don't try to make either sound like something they aren't.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 28 augustus 2017

People who consider themselves 'audiophiles' tend to spend more money on custom cabinetry to house their home audio/visual systems than the $2,500 price point for the Premium Audio in a Model S. People I know who go out of their way to install custom stereo systems in their cars end up with what sounds to me like a omnidirectional mono system. All that matters really is what sounds best to the owner of the vehicle. For me, that tends to be simply, 'MAX ALL LEVELS'. That way I can hear everything that the studio engineer intended to be heard.

Haggy is correct.

M3München | 28 augustus 2017

TIL that audiophiles are not the kind of people you'd want to bring to a party.

TeslaTap.com | 28 augustus 2017

@bmz "Do you know who makes the audio amplifier?"

Tesla makes the amplifiers in the S/X - the PCBs are marked with Tesla as are the speakers (not a label over something else). We don't yet know if this is true of the Model 3, but I don't see why they would change.

Now it's less clear who designed it. s1nn was involved in tuning and may have been involved in the audio design. s1nn was acquired by Harmon International, who owns major brands such as Harmon Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark Levinson.

Lots more info: https://teslatap.com/articles/audio-systems-for-the-tesla-model-s-and-mo...

kgr99 | 28 augustus 2017

One of the major and probably the biggest deterrent to optimizing car audio is:

You can achieve optimal (read as satisfactory) listening environment for only one person (either driver, passenger or one of the rear passengers). By doing so, say tuning it for driver, everyone else in the car will hear nothing but garbage, so audio systems are always designed to suit multiple positions and hence there will not be a sweet spot anywhere in the car.

PS: You can always ignore everyone if you are the driver always (and do not have a partner.)

SpeedyEddy | 29 augustus 2017

I might add that Aero wheels will deliver less noise, as wel as a non-glass roof...
What is more important to you: Seeing (&showing) the car or hearing music in the car..

RedShift | 29 augustus 2017

I am a semi- audiophile having invested roughly 3000$ in my system at home. In a car however, there is too much background noise.

Plus, a factory installed system doesn't have the speaker distances equal from both ears.

Added together, this means investing in a good sound system doesn't make much sense to me.

Captain_Zap | 29 augustus 2017

$3000? Miss a zero? ;-)

RedShift | 29 augustus 2017

I wish. I already made my huge math error for the day in another thread! :-)

Captain_Zap | 29 augustus 2017

This will blow your mind when it comes to audio systems. They get into what they spent too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs

mntlvr23 | 29 augustus 2017

CaptZap - wow!
I have only made it through a third of it - they are crazy

JustSaying | 29 augustus 2017

I t doesn't matter what the system costs, I only have $1K ears...

mntlvr23 | 29 augustus 2017

@JustSaying - lol