Forums

Microgrids

Microgrids

I'd like to build a portable microgrid with Powerpacks and solar. Is this a service Tesla will offer in the near future. I am aware of T'au, but I'm talking about something that can be used in disasters, like Irma, especially in places like BVI and US Virgin Islands, where electricity prices support battery and solar.

wiboater4 | 11 februari 2018

I just read an article about an Enphase inverter called Ensemble that will allow the solar panels to produce power if the grid is down. supposed to be coming in 2019. This is big because it could eliminate the need to be connected to the power company if paired with a Tesla power wall . Even if partly connected to the grid I could add more solar without having to jump through all the hoops the power company requires to add more solar etc. and the changes they have added to combat solar from growing to fast for them. It cuts out their big argument that you should pay because your using their power lines. etc. . They are trying to switch things to where now they raise the facilities charges instead of the K W H rate to cut their losses to solar energy. They have already done that here in Wisconsin to some extent.

wiboater4 | 11 februari 2018

Tried to start the above post as a new topic but for some reason I can't post anything? Anyway it does fit this discussion.

eric.zucker | 23 februari 2018

Check out these guys:

https://www.smartflower.com/en

There is a self contained micro grid with solar production, storage, and inverters. Looks nice too.

My concern would be the maintenance involved as it’a fairly sophisticated mechanical device.

It needs some free space around to deploy and track the sun, but otherwise could be easily deployed.