Forums

Tesla Android App v3.2.0 Does not Change Reserve Power Setting for Grid Outage

Tesla Android App v3.2.0 Does not Change Reserve Power Setting for Grid Outage

Hi,

I have tried changing the Power Reserve Setting using the Android App (v3.2.0) and note that the amount of reserve power does not change from what was set when the value was set using the Wizard.

I live in a sometimes unstable grid area so when bad weather sets in I'd like to dynamically adjust the Reserve Power setting to cover me in the event of a grid failure or when things are stable (I have the backup UPS function option installed and it works very well).

Setting the value via the app shows it as set in the app, but the battery does not honour the new settings. I was advised by Tesla Support that I am not supposed to run the GIIU/WIzard procedure because this is supposed to be used only by Installers.

I have not tried setting the "backup-only" option in the Android App so far so do not know if this may be a "key" or something so that one does not inadvertently make changes.

Thanks in advance,

Harry E.

harrye | 9 oktober 2017

We have a scheduled outage tomorrow for power line maintenance. In addition to the above, selecting the "Customize" and "Backup-Only" mode sets the flag and "Reserved" value to 100% in the App but does not change the behaviour of the PW-2.

Seems, the only way to change the "Reserve" value is to use the Wizard; Using the Wizard also causes the "commissioned" time to reset so any previous "history" that may be there would be lost - right?

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

agiangone | 2 november 2017

harrye, just as a curiosity how would you use the "Wizard"?

harrye | 2 november 2017

@agiangone, You run the Wizard by connecting to the TCP/IP address of the Energy Gateway using a standard Web Browser. The login name is what the Installer set as an E-mail address which I have seen may be arbitrary (have not tried that) and the Password is the Serial Number of your EG in all uppercase.

I am still on v1.6.0 of the EG firmware and the only way I can change the Reserve value for grid outage/UPS backup is via the Wizard (it does not work via the Android App).

DO not change any settings other than the Backup/Reserve percentage or TCP/IP address/gateway settings. From what I have seen you need to run the Wizard to completion including the tests and the firmware upgrade check although if there is no firmware update you still need to run it then select Skip to get the Wizard to complete the commissioning steps.

I have also noted that after Ii ran it last time the Registration status says I have a limited warranty (true) although if I ran it again this reported as "false" so it appears to be somewhat cosmetic. There is currently a version v1.9.1 for the EG but so far I think it's seems to be still under test and has not been released very widely.

If you are not comfortable running the WIzard, log a call with Tesla Support or your Installer and they can help you.

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

agiangone | 2 november 2017

Thanks, I was just curious but it is probably best not to use the wizard. Just ask Tesla to push 1.9.1 as it does solve the issue you are experiencing.

Bigtanuki | 3 november 2017

Harrye - I just went through some issues related to the android app and PW firmware v1.9.0. I am now on v1.9.1 and I have verified that it works to change the reserve or flop the system between backup and self consumption. Be aware that any changes you input into the app only take effect on an hourly update so don't expect an instantaneous change of status. The time of the update is different for each user. I suspect that the hourly clock starts on the original commissioning time of the GW. Mike happens at ~ 54 minutes after the hour. That time has changed some over the last couple of months but only by a few minutes (it's getting a bit later). I figured out the time for update by making a change, waiting a bit more than an hour and then reviewing the graph data. You can scroll with your finger to find power numbers for whatever is being displayed that way.
Best of luck.

agiangone | 3 november 2017

Harry, i just pointed my browser to the gateway ip and got right in. I see the option to run the wizard but have no need although I'm curious.
On a side note, is the middle light of the gateway supposed to be on? Mine is always off but everything is working. Not sure but since it has a wifi simbol I think it indicates connectivity to the inverter via zigbee. Maybe my light is broken.