Forums

wireless charging

wireless charging

where can I upgrade a Tesla for wireless charging?

DTsea | 3 oktober 2017

Why bother?

Frank99 | 3 oktober 2017

plugless.com

reed_lewis | 4 oktober 2017

The plugless device while cool requires that you park the car in the exactly the correct place. If you are off by a few inches the car will not charge as quickly or not at all.

And how difficult is it to plug in the plug in your garage?

jordanrichard | 4 oktober 2017

The Plugless.com system is something like $3,000, charges at a slower rate than a 14-50 outlet, and creates a potential tripping hazard since a power line has to go across your floor to power the recharging "pad". All of that to save the painfully long 5 seconds it takes to plug it in manually.

@jordanrichard - The cable can be attached to the floor to prevent tripping, but I concur on the price is much too high for the benefit. Plus the loss in the induction means that it will cost you more money to charge your car. So it is the worst of all world.

Frank99 | 4 oktober 2017

The OP asked a simple concrete question, not a philosophical one.

Yes, but the correct answer to a question like wireless charging should also include the pros and cons for the solution.

To not talk about that would be to ignore the facts.

Frank99 | 4 oktober 2017

When I ask "Where's a good mexican restaurant around here?", I'm not expecting (and wouldn't welcome) a discussion of pros and cons of Mexican food, and a lecture on saturated fats.

Should_I | 4 oktober 2017

I glanced at the website after seeing this post. Looks like a fair amount of amperage for the charge rate.
Safe to say efficiency isn't great?

jordanrichard | 4 oktober 2017

Frank99, ok. the answer to the OP's question is, in your garage.

TeslaTap.com | 4 oktober 2017

For car charging: https://www.pluglesspower.com/shop/reserve-tesla-model-s/

Perhaps the OP was asking about phone wireless charging?

The model 3 include two wireless chargers for phones inside the car. There is also someone that has modified the S/X console for a built in wireless phone charger, which is cool.

TeslaTap.com | 4 oktober 2017
Frank99 | 4 oktober 2017

Good catch, TT. I love wireless phone charging - I've got one in my car, one on my desk at work, one at home. I just drop it onto the charger wherever I am, and always have a fully charged phone. And I don't have wires dangling all over the place.

Of course DTsea, reed_lewis, and jordanrichard would never approve of him charging his phone wirelessly because it's less efficient than plugging in, so will berate you also. Thanks for facing the onslaught.

georgehawley.fl.us | 5 oktober 2017

Interesting. Plugless sounds like the whole enchilada, if one is so inclined.

jordanrichard | 5 oktober 2017

Frank99, people can do whatever they want. We were just pointing out/giving a heads up to the costs of such a system that the OP may not be aware of. Don't get me wrong, it would be great to just pull into my garage and have the car charge up on its own via a plug less system. However when you way the benefits to the immense costs............... Perhaps to the OP they are willing to spend that kind of money for less of a charge rate for the convenience, that's up to them.

reed_lewis | 5 oktober 2017

The difference in the amount of power wasted wirelessly charging a car is orders of magnitude more than the amount of wasted power wirelessly charging a phone.

A phone has at most 6 watt hours. A car contains 75000 watt hours.

I personally do not care if you wish to wirelessly charge your car. But people who think it is a perfect solution need to understand that it is not.

That is why I was trying to help.