Forums

Fluids and maintenance

Fluids and maintenance

So, one thing that is discussed in relation to EVs and their lower maintenance requirements is fewer “fluids”.

Having just dealt with a ton of issues on my ICE car, I’m anxious to get the Model 3.

What “fluids” does the Model 3 have? Brake fluid? Power steering fluid? Anything else?

eeb9 | 14 december 2017

Spinifer fluid for the nopher trunnion and associated bearings

Xerogas | 14 december 2017

Windshield wiper fluid

dsvick | 15 december 2017

Battery coolant

Coastal Cruiser. | 15 december 2017

There is ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in the single speed gearbox that connects the motor to the drive axles. But it needs to be changed so infrequently you rarely ever here it mentioned.

Rutrow | 15 december 2017

eeb9, nobody needs to take their vehicle to the dealership for spinifer fluid service. According to the Kinsley Manual, all you need is a Langstrom 7-inch gangly wrench to access the Fenley sprocket casing. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

PhillyGal | 15 december 2017

On the S, the only fluid you have access to monitor/refill as an owner is the windshield wiper fluid.

Anything related to battery coolant or ATF (news to me @CC!) would be handled by Tesla on a service visit.

For step by step by step instructions for lubricating your nopher trunnions:

https://youtu.
be/yX27AfOEYGc

JustSaying | 15 december 2017

I understand the Finegan Pin is maintenance free.

Xerogas | 15 december 2017

Not fluid-related, but I heard the flux capacitor is really hard to replace, depending on your temporal-spacial situation.

PhillyGal | 15 december 2017

@Xerogas - My flux capacitor is on my center console when I open the browser :)

gar1116 | 15 december 2017

@Rutrow did you mean 'socket', not 'sprocket'?

"My flux capacitor is on my center console when I open the browser :)"

A flux capacitor GIF on the center screen would make for a great easter egg!

JAD | 15 december 2017

Dan, for a serious answer, the brakes are the same as any car, though with regen they heat cycles are significantly less so it should last longer, but is still recommended for change every two years. There is battery coolant that Tesla changes every 4 years I believe and a small amount of oil in the motor/gearbox about like the differential in your ICE.

So you save normal oil changes and transmission oil changes, the others are the same. It is also very easy to go 50k miles without doing anything to the car.

All of the above is based on the S, I assume 3 will be the same or better.

Haggy | 15 december 2017

If you look at the Model S/X annual service plan, it shows what fluids get replaced by Tesla on schedule, but it's not mandatory. Brake fluid takes on air in any car and needs to be replaced over time. It's not clear to me what difference coolant flushes make on a Tesla. Back in the days of iron radiators, it made a lot more difference in other cars.

eeb9 | 15 december 2017

@Rutrow - good news on the fluids! Free-range Canuck Spinifer fluid is getting expensive, so I appreciate the updated manual reference. Does the same approach now apply to the dingle-arm housing?

jordanrichard | 15 december 2017

At least for the Model S, this is what you have and when it needs to be changed.

Brake Fluid - every 2 years
Battery coolant - every 4 years
Gear oil (ATF) - every 12 years.

Throw in a tire rotation every 5,000 miles and there is your required maintenance. Brake pads will last at least 250,000 miles.

eeb9 | 15 december 2017

I did find the original source material for nopher trunnion manufacture, which would explain why maintenance is such a crucial process:

https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Chunky Jr. | 15 december 2017

@Rutrow : +1 for the Steve Martin reference

ReD eXiLe ms us | 17 december 2017

Chunky Jr.: Ah! I definitely have to watch 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' (1987) within the next few days... Along with 'DIE HARD' (1988), and 'LETHAL WEAPON' (1987), among the best Christmas movies of all time.

Model_D | 17 december 2017

Sorry rutrow, Ford offered the fluid capacitor as an option on the Focus Electric for one day only. I think it was a $900,000 plus option. Of course it was on April fools day a couple years ago.

Model_D | 17 december 2017

Oops, it was October 15th not April 1st.

charles.a.braun | 18 december 2017

@ReD eXiLe ms us - Planes Trains & Automobiles is a Thanksgiving movie, not Christmas. Save it for next November.

JustSaying | 18 december 2017

Actually Clark ,I got a lot of help from my friend, Jack Daniels...

TabascoGuy | 18 december 2017

@ReD eXiLe ms us
"He says we're going the wrong way..."
"How would he know where we're going?"

ReD eXiLe ms us | 18 december 2017

charles.a.braun: See...? It's been way too long since I saw the movie. I'll catch it anyway. Besides, of those three flicks, it's the only one with actual snow. Snow means Christmas. :-D I'll watch it for next Thanksgiving too!

jordanrichard | 18 december 2017

The funniest scene in that movie was at the rental car counter when Steve Martin said the F word something like 16 times in the span of 2 minutes.

Nexxus | 20 december 2017

@Rutrow,

Aren't those the same instructions for the "Retro-Encabulator"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w