Forums

That's interesting

That's interesting

Background first - I wasn't able to connect my 3 to my wifi (clicking the LTE icon did nothing).

So, I turned off Bluetooth on my iphone and, surprisingly, I was still able to lock and unlock my 3 via the app. The only thing that I could think of is that the phone is communicating with Tesla via wifi and Tesla is communicating with the car via their cellular system.

Your thoughts?

georgehawley.fl.us | 16 december 2017

More likely, your phone app communicates with the car via the cell phone network, nothing to do with Bluetooth or wifi. How else are you able to connect with the car from thousands of miles away?

Robocheme | 16 december 2017

Maybe, but when I turned the phone's bluetooth and cellular off, I was still able to lock and unlock the car via the app.

georgehawley.fl.us | 16 december 2017

OTOH, I can communicate with the car via wifi from my iPad when the car is not on a wifi network so maybe the phone app communicates with Tesla which in turn connects with the car via the cell phone network and the iPad app connects to Tesla via wifi/internet who in turn connects with the car via the cell phone network.

johnmann | 16 december 2017

robocheme - I believe your assessment is correct. Your car and phone don’t need to be on the same local network, they just both need to be connected to the internet. In this case your car via LTE and your phone by WiFi. I think by turning Bluetooth off you won’t have the car automatically unlocking when your phone is in proximity to it.

Xerogas | 16 december 2017

The magic of the internet -- as long as they're both connected to the internet *somehow*, they will be able to communicate.

Carl Thompson | 16 december 2017

@robocheme:
"The only thing that I could think of is that the phone is communicating with Tesla via wifi and Tesla is communicating with the car via their cellular system."

Yes, this. Your phone communicates with Tesla's servers over the internet and Tesla's servers are communicating with your car over mobile. The phone is almost certainly not communicating with the car directly (except via bluetooth only to unlock the car).

sosmerc | 17 december 2017

So if you happen to be in an area that does not have either WiFi or LTE reception you MUST use the keycard to unlock and start the car?

M3forMe | 17 december 2017

@sosmerc - that is when bluetooth comes in play.

Coastal Cruiser. | 17 december 2017

No. If your device has Bluetooth it would unlock the car.

And, by "LTE" it is assumed you mean ANY cellular data reception.

sosmerc | 17 december 2017

Understand....I thought of that just after I posted. I expect to have my phone with me at all times, so I'm not too worried. But I definitely travel to a number of places where I can't get WiFi or LTE. I do think the card/key is going to work out just fine and people will get used to it quickly as well.

Bluesday Afternoon | 17 december 2017

Now, if I can use the key card at Costco I’m set! :)

carlk | 17 december 2017