Forums

Model X Active Rear Spoiler, spotted 7/21

Model X Active Rear Spoiler, spotted 7/21

click img for full res

EVino | 22 juli 2015

When the Model S gets a design refresh, Tesla could potentially add this. The downforce effect might be beneficial at high speed.

carlk | 22 juli 2015

Cool!

ken | 22 juli 2015

Very good picture, thanks.

georgehawley.fl.us | 22 juli 2015

@Evino: convincing photographic evidence of active spoiler. Thanks for posting!

raffael s. | 22 juli 2015

could be just a shadow...

gerardP | 23 juli 2015

I cannot help being a bit worried: the falcon wing door does not fit tight with the top and the rear window, and the rear dooror the rear door also fits with the bottom but not with the side of the car. Hope this will not show anymore in the production version...

ernie | 23 juli 2015

@gerardP...there is no way the finished product will have these problems. Trust me I know a lot about smoking pork butt.

EVino | 23 juli 2015

I'm curious about the transfer of the downforce. The spoiler is on the hatch and the hatch rests on rubberized contact points on the body. Can it handle the transfer of force this way? In other cars, is the spoiler mechanism also incorporated into the hatch?

johnse | 23 juli 2015

A lot of the aerodynamic effect of a spoiler is actually to disrupt the lifting effect of the body more than provide a down force directly. That is separate from the inverted-wing type systems.

This is likely more for reducing overall drag by causing the trailing vortex to be less chaotic--or something like that.

kf93 | 23 juli 2015

connection to the hatch or the body doesn't make that much difference in downforce. Press on the trunk and press on a side fender, the car still moves down some slightly on the springs with negligible difference.

ram1901 | 23 juli 2015

Guessing this will be a feature on the Performance Model only....assuming there will be such a thing.

rossRallen | 23 juli 2015

I wonder why it was deployed at surface street speeds instead of 60+ mph? Certainly has toy value.

Ph03n1x | 24 juli 2015

Is it me or we have yet to spot the Model X mules with gullwin doors open ?

darlin | 24 juli 2015

Since all the photos I have seen have been moving, it is a good thing none of the gull-wings doors were open.

Seriously though, I have not seen a picture of one stopped with a single door open.

ir | 24 juli 2015

It looks more like a fixed spoiler. It doesn't look like it can retract. :(

Remnant | 24 juli 2015

@ ir (July 24, 2015)

<< It doesn't look like it can retract. >>

It only has to be hinged, which it seems to be.

Red Sage ca us | 24 juli 2015

EVino: +42 Thanks for sharing!

raffael s: All these are but shadows... Sinanju is the Sun!

johnse & kf93: +1

ram1901: Elon Musk confirmed that the Performance version of the Model X would likely be able to offer a very slow, relatively lethargic, thoroughly embarrassing 0-60 MPH time of around 3.3 seconds. So, yeah... This is probably for that version of the car. ;-)

Ph03n1x: An employee at a supplier in Michigan snapped a photo of the open rear Falcon Wing Door on the driver's side weeks ago.

ir: Remnant is correct. Think in terms of a hinged lid on a horizontal chest/cabinet.

Ph03n1x | 24 juli 2015

Thanks Red Sage, I didn't saw this one.

raffael s. | 24 juli 2015

@Red, it could also be the angle, or a bird...