Forums

Unofficial Getting Started Guide

Unofficial Getting Started Guide

Just posting this in case it's helpful. A lot of friends who get the Model 3 have a bunch of questions, so I've tried to compile them and answers into a unofficial guide: https://medium.com/@mulligan/model-3-unofficial-guide-5164b648efd6

• Setting up your phone to act as your key
• Autopilot (including cruise control, Autosteer, and Auto Lane Change)
• Navigation
• Blind spot detection
• Rebooting the console
• Autopark
• Charging

Anyway, hope it's useful!

sroh | 11 juli 2018

Outstanding! Thanks Brenden!

Magic 8 Ball | 11 juli 2018

Well Done

Chigurh

maintreqd | 11 juli 2018

Thanks Brenden. One item recently mentioned here though is that the car is not fully aware of when it's safe to auto lane change, so the suggestion is to make sure folks know to always check their blind spots before initializing the process via turning on the right or left turn signal. I'm sure the car will get better at it in time but for now, it's not something to be relied upon without first assessing the situation in the lane you want to move into.

ron369 | 11 juli 2018

Nicely done ... after reading it, I’m even more excited about getting my 3 next week!

тесла3 | 11 juli 2018

This is great, appreciate the info - thanks Brenden!

krysia.kinney | 11 juli 2018

under "Resetting the console display"
Will this effect the car while in motion? Should you pull over to do it?

ron369 | 11 juli 2018

> under "Resetting the console display"
> Will this effect the car while in motion? Should you pull over to do it?

I’m not sure it would let you do it while in motion, but don’t try. This is rebooting the computer that controls everything in the car.

vikvabson | 11 juli 2018

k.k.
You can definitely reboot the screen while moving.
It is not affecting main car functions only UI.

wayne | 11 juli 2018

Very clear and useful. Thanks! I especially liked your warnings.

Reading the manual is still a good idea but the part about autopilot is rather confusing.

ron369 | 11 juli 2018

> You can definitely reboot the screen while moving.

I stand corrected. I guess it makes sense that a problem with the UI should not stop the operation of the car. Still not sure I would want to try, though.

> Reading the manual is still a good idea but the part about autopilot is rather confusing.

The Tesla manual seems to suffer from a bit of schizophrenia when describing the auto-pilot functions. On one hand, it wants to brag about how much it does, and on the other hand, it has to put in all the caveats about what it is not capable of doing currently.

brendenmulligan | 12 juli 2018

Thank you everyone! Really appreciate the kind words!

maintreqd: added a note
krysia.kinney: i added the bit about rebooting while moving