Forums

tesla squeeze just started up 13 in 1/2 hr.

tesla squeeze just started up 13 in 1/2 hr.

Enjoy longs. Big way Tsunami heading shorts way.

sroh | 7 augustus 2018

Something definitely happened. No news that I can see, but stock spiked on heavy volume a little after 9am PDT.

MTTPA | 7 augustus 2018

Because .... the Saudis!?!? Hedging their bets, I guess.

dalesmith1962 | 7 augustus 2018

^^^^^
This.

Rutrow 3 | 7 augustus 2018

It's REALLY on now!!! $370

EVfan | 7 augustus 2018

Saudi Araba Meagfund took a 3-5% stake in Tesla. That's BIG news.

sroh | 7 augustus 2018

@mos and @Shock,

Yoo-hoo, where are you?

jjgunn | 7 augustus 2018

KABOOM!!!!!

Magic 8 Ball | 7 augustus 2018

This news is not hurting the case for TSLA either:

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/b182403f-a0fa-3ddd-8eb3-372849fc11fe/tesla-s...

jjgunn | 7 augustus 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/07/tesla-stock-jumps-on-musks-tweet-that-he...

Also this boys 7 girls....

Shorties....where are you?!?!?

ravisundaramam | 7 augustus 2018

@ jjgunn | August 7, 2018 "Shorties....where are you?!?!?"

Give them time, please, They just lost their shirts, (and shorts and undies too). They need to find some scrap of clothing somewhere to cover themselves before showing up in public.

leo33 | 7 augustus 2018

It looks like Musk tweeted he is considering taking Tesla private at $420, and has secured funding. Is the tweet legit? https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1026872652290379776?s=19

sroh | 7 augustus 2018

I sure hope this doesn't happen. I think current shareholders will be much better off being able to hold onto Tesla stock long term.

Plus, I must also admit that I get no small amount of joy knowing the Tesla shorts are taking it in the shorts.

jamey.winchester | 7 augustus 2018

Honestly if he's not serious, it could be considered stock manipulation. It's one thing for other people to speculate, it's another for the CEO to say something he knows to be false.

cascadiadesign | 7 augustus 2018

If that tweet re going private is genuine, is it legal to announce like that per SEC rules?

RadOne | 7 augustus 2018

If true, easy money. Buy a bunch of $420 calls and rake it in.

nikhilm_2000 | 7 augustus 2018

Can EM tweet like this and not get in trouble with SEC? As a CEO, Chairman, insider, not sure if this is crossing some boundaries. I respect him a lot but this just seems careless.

sroh | 7 augustus 2018

@RadOne,

Technically, $420 calls will be worth $0 if the deal actually goes through at $420. Of course, this might cause the stock price to jump above the deal price if investors decide there is a chance of bidding war.

$420?

What's Elon smoking?!?

Haaaaaa!!! Get it???

jjgunn | 7 augustus 2018

LOL....Hey...he has his medical card - Buckle up! Bumpy ride

PhillyGal | 7 augustus 2018

Share price was $207 the day I test drove the Model S. (Excuse me while I go cry in my cereal.)

dyefrog | 7 augustus 2018

I wonder if this was what he was keeping under his hat when he announced that shorts had 3 weeks before they go up in flames.

OMG!!! I was just looking at my TSLA target prices to fund my various dreams, such as:

@$778 I can buy a fully loaded P3.

@$577 I can get a LR+PUP.

And here's the kicker. To buy a SR base M3 with paint and delivery...

Wait for it...

$420!!!!

I think Elon was talking directly to me. Letting me know that the base model will be available soon!

But I want to tell Elon that he should offer the $778/share. I want a P3.

ravisundaramam | 7 augustus 2018

@nikhilm_2000: Why should there be secrecy?

Any time there is something confidential goes on, the information oozes out and people plugged in get it first. By the time it is confirmed they cash in. Buy on rumor, sell on news.

If the insiders and outsiders get the same information at the same time, there is nothing illegal about it. If the market over reacts, its markets problem. It is market manipulation only if it is a lie, and he knew it is a lie when he said it. So you got to be a time traveling mind reader to prove it.

So his problem would not be legal, it would be his supporters. We think 420 is too low a price, and wish he would permit existing long time shareholders shares of the private Tesla. There are many would never sell the Tesla stock.

mos6507 | 7 augustus 2018

I don't really follow the ups and downs of Tesla's shares as I'm not a short nor do I hold shares (unlike fanbois who have just as much of a vested interest in spinning Tesla positive as shorts do negative).

I do monitor Tesla's overall health but I don't care about its stock price.

"Honestly if he's not serious, it could be considered stock manipulation. It's one thing for other people to speculate, it's another for the CEO to say something he knows to be false."

Well, it's possible that he's been in contact with the SEC in regards to what the short sellers have been getting away with and now armed with the fact that they are immune from prosecution, it a "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" attitude.
I have no idea if his role as CEO prevents him from legally doing the same thing. One would think so.

"I don't really follow the ups and downs of Tesla's shares as I'm not a short nor do I hold shares (unlike fanbois who have just as much of a vested interest in spinning Tesla positive as shorts do negative).

I do monitor Tesla's overall health but I don't care about its stock price."

And your point is.....?

jordanrichard | 7 augustus 2018

Elon did not say he was taking it private, just said he is thinking about it. I don't know if that "thinking" gets me out of trouble with the SEC.

Elon also Tweeted after the "thinking about taking....." He followed up with "Good morning". It was certainly not morning in CA time. So I will hazard to guess that he was referring it to being a brand new day. Stock is at $363 at 2:11 EST

Gregg Ray | 7 augustus 2018

PhillyGal

I hear you... :>(

jjgunn | 7 augustus 2018

FYI - It's currently STILL morning time in CA time (11:15 AM)

I highly doubt the SEC can do anything about a tweet that states "thinking about it...."

Schmootle | 7 augustus 2018

This is actually huge news if he's not just messing around.

Days and weeks to find out what this means. My guess is he is saying it in good faith (or there might be consequences) and couldn't resist a leak just to stick it to the shorts on an already bad day. Ultimately I think he wants all his companies to be free of short term thinking, i.e. live and die by the quarter like so many F500s. Maybe not for business reasons so much as his outlook on what his businesses are and could be.

jordanrichard | 7 augustus 2018

He Tweeted that 49 minutes ago, which yes would still be morning, but late morning. People don't typically say "Good morning" just before lunch. I think it was a middle finger gesture to the shorts.

spuzzz123 | 7 augustus 2018

And trading has halted...something is up

mos6507 | 7 augustus 2018

[And your point is.....?]

I might not post at all in this thread if trolls didn't bait me with: "What say you, Shock?? MOS666???"

I have to remind people that I don't have a horse in this race, just my remaining Model 3 reservation.

That being said. I just got the notice on my phone that stock trading has been halted by the SEC, so something big is going on.

M3BlueGeorgia | 7 augustus 2018

Going private at $420/share, that's what's happening.

Billions of actual losses coming for the shorts.

Of course, going public is a very stupid thing to do.

For Nasdaq to initiate a T1 hold on trading, who does the "pending news" have to come from? Does Tesla have to announce that? or can Nasdaq generate the news itself?

gmkellogg | 7 augustus 2018

How many threads do we need on this?

hokiegir1 | 7 augustus 2018
nikhilm_2000 | 7 augustus 2018

@ravisundaram, its not about secrecy. its stock manipulation by misleading investors, that too in the middle of the day when markets are open. If he cannot prove that he's secured the said funding then its false statement that pumped up the stock that personally benefits him as a 20% stakeholder, CEO and Chairman.

I just wish he would focus on what he does best, being a visionary and an agent of innovation and change and leave twitter.

leo33 | 7 augustus 2018

Maybe Moss is trying to convince us he's not a short, rather he's a shill for fossil fuel interests.